WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NEWBY here

Images

Default NEWBY here

I have been day hiking for years and I will be doing my first overnight very soon. I only fear tenting alone and bears or coyotes coming up to my tent at night. Most people say bears only bother you if you have food smells but then a few shelters and areas are closed out there due to problem bears, so which is it? Any advice on my first over night will be very appreciated.

Images

Also meant to say I like to hike Mt. Rogers and Roan the most. If anyone is interested in a hiking buddy please contact me here 1st.

Images

Don't be afraid. After doing it you will see you are stronger than you thought. I've been section hiking for 10 years on the AT and will soon head out for a SOBO hike solo. In all my hikes I've never had anything come close to my tent other than a nasty red squirrel who chewed into my pack pocket it the two minutes I was gone to the privy. Depending on where you're hiking you will most likely have other hikers camping in the area as well. You got this, it's the first step that's the hardest.

Journal Entries

:banana

"What me worry?" Co-Existing with Critters in the Mount Rogers Area

I've not yet been to Roan Mountain, but I have made numerous hikes, ranging from two days to two weeks (loop using AT and Iron Mountain Trail, resupply in Damascus) within the Mount Rodgers area. I've enjoyed hearing night time coyote howls there but have not yet actually seen them anywhere in Virginia. Obviously coyotes have better things to do than bother me as I sleep either out in the open, within my tent, or in a shelter. Hiking along country roads here in Kentucky I've met some bothersome domestic dogs, but that's another story. I find that carrying trekking poles or a stout walking stick can help deter dogs.

Local people have told me that the Mount Rogers' Recreation Area's bears are only infrequently seen by hikers. It has been at other places, such as for example the Smokies and Watuga Lake in Tennessee, that shelters have sometimes been closed following nuisance bear activity. So, its not surprising that I, having spent only about 30 days and nights in the woods near Mount Rogers, have not yet glimpsed any local bruins. Apparently that local bear population is still reclusive, having not become habituated to obtaining food from hikers.

While hiking between Grayson Highlands and Damascus I've met courteous backpacking youth associated with an outfit called "Wilderness Ministries". Using a base in nearby Troutdale, that organization has been sending numerous groups out into the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area during many summers without encountering bears. Those well organized, safety conscious youth groups have not found it necessary to hang their food or otherwise make it 'bear secure".

During your Mt. Rogers day hikes you've undoubtedly encountered the free ranging ponies. I've sometimes had to shoo them away as they've tried to obtain snacks or meals that I was eating. I doubt that either the ponies or various cattle that similarly graze those balds ever attack sleeping campers. (Now that would make a good story!) But, both in camp and along the trail take care to prevent the ponies from biting or kicking you!

My suggestion: Sleeping out in the woods for the first time can seem scary. So, do it initially somewhere that has not been having nuisance bear activity. Later, after you've become more accustomed to the process, venture into settings where you will be more likely to see bears. Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by Siestita; 06-04-2017 at 00:04.

Images

We go to Mt Rogers all the time, probably 6-10 times a year for the last twenty years. Never seen a bear in the open high country. Heard coyotes lots of times. In general neither of them is a problem. In the open I generally keep my food in my tent with me (no good place to hang it). So from that perspective, nothing to worry about.

But, from the perspective of a first time overnight in the backcountry (especially solo), it can sometimes be scary. Bring some music and your earbuds to listen as you fall asleep, or some foam ear plugs (very useful accessory for backpacking). Or do both.

I do remember the first time we took our kid up there, she was almost 6, so this would have been late May or early June of 1996. We had waaaaaay to much gear, including our 4-person dome car camping tent, must have weighed 15 pounds. We camped in the open along the Crest Trail on Pine Mountain. It was raining early the next morning, and we could hear a very large animal snuffling around outside our tent. Nosing up against it. Snuffle snuffle. Snort! Somewhat terrifying.

I opened the main door and came face to face with a cow. A very large cow. Who then proceeded to try to get out of the rain by coming inside our tent.

In any case, hope you enjoy the hike. And don't have a cow, man.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thousands of hikers are killed every year on the AT by bears, coyotes and snakes. Its dangerous and irresponsible to do overnight trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Thousands of hikers are killed every year on the AT by bears, coyotes and snakes. Its dangerous and irresponsible to do overnight trips.
    Sarcasm?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlaze2019 View Post
    Sarcasm?

Maybe. Maybe not. Probably.
    Fact: Getting to and from a hiking trail is more dangerous than hiking. Any trail.
    Read trip reports from the Rocky Mountains. People out there go farther into real wilderness and come out in one piece.
    Backcountrypost.com
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. Probably.
    Fact: Getting to and from a hiking trail is more dangerous than hiking. Any trail.
    Read trip reports from the Rocky Mountains. People out there go farther into real wilderness and come out in one piece.
    Backcountrypost.com
    Wayne

I doubt "thousands" are killed every year on the AT. 😂😂

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I doubt "thousands" are killed every year on the AT. 

A handful of people do die on the A.T. every year, nearly all of them from heart attacks.

Only one person has ever been killed by a bear on the A.T. and sadly incident would likely have been prevented if their group had followed standard bear safety advice or heeded the warning of the other hikers in the area. There has never been a documented case of coyotes killing an adult human in the continental United States.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I doubt "thousands" are killed every year on the AT.

Where did that come from?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Where did that come from?
    Wayne

You're welcome

Been backpacking a fair amount in NC as well as one trip to Grayson Highlands. Did a section of the AT that included Roan and the only problem we had was with dogs wanting to join us for lunch once. Only place I've ever been officially warned about a trouble bear was in Shining Rock Wilderness. Uwharrie NF is a great place for a first backpacking adventure.

I was going to hike Roan earlier this year but severe thunderstorms were forecasted for that weekend so we cancelled. Love to do it if you are still interested. I replied to your other post regarding a hiking buddy.

The AT is so perilous that it should not be attempted unless you have prior mountain climbing experience...that's why all these folks croak off from coronary's on the AT every year. If only they had been experienced mountain climbers....

In all seriousness, you will be fine. Perfectly fine.

Images

And hiking poles... The rangers will not let you hike without hiking poles...

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak View Post
    And hiking poles... The rangers will not let you hike without hiking poles...
    Forgot that! Yep, they are required to summit Mt. Whitney too!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bears tend to be in areas where they can find food.

Smokies to Hot Springs. Tourists, weekend campers, and nearby houses feed them.
    Watauga Lake. Boaters, fishermen, partiers.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

This is what I love about White Blaze. Some one comes to this site for advice and gets wise cracks.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

Resent problem with bear at Wise Shelter, some idiot left half a cooked turkey in the shelter, now the bear keeps coming back looking for more! I just got back from a hike from Erwin, Tenn. to Partnership Shelter in Marion, VA , I saw a large male bear walking the trail ahead of me going up Brushy Mountain on the last day. He did leave when I let him know I was behind him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++