WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

don;t know, but i like my th20

I found a light that will work clipped to my pack belt, and reviewed it here.

Best to me means versatility, for me it's the "revolt" which allows for using disposable dry cells as well as charging/recharging from a AC source.

...and USB charging

Petzl ACTIK-CORE - white and red options, 3 AAAs or micro-USB rechargeable off your Anker. Massively popular on the PCT this year.

This is a good one, great price too for a rechargeable lamp.

https://sectionhiker.com/nitecore-nu...adlamp-review/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    This is a good one, great price too for a rechargeable lamp.

https://sectionhiker.com/nitecore-nu...adlamp-review/
    Pretty nice, except for the battery life issue. Decreasing the output by a factor of 5.5 (220 lumens down to 40 lumens) only gets you 29% more use time (an extra 105 minutes). I do like the NU20's IPX7 waterproof rating.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Pretty nice, except for the battery life issue. Decreasing the output by a factor of 5.5 (220 lumens down to 40 lumens) only gets you 29% more use time (an extra 105 minutes). I do like the NU20's IPX7 waterproof rating.
    Good point , but I always carry a 1,000 milliamp battery charger (a cheapo unit that cost around five bucks) for the NU 20, as well as the little Sandisk mp3 player I always carry. Not much weight gain when you consider I always carried three spare AAA batteries for my previous, non-rechargeable lamp.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Recently ordered a Black Diamond ION headlamp S17 with 100 lumens. Weight 50g or 1.9 oz with batteries included. Light enough to night hike and allow me to carry a few carrots in my pocket.

I’ve owned most major brands...nothing compares to Zebra light imo.....it’s not plastic but UL aluminum unlike the rest. Having the available 300lm when needed and only 2oz w 1 AA battery....sure for most night hiking I use med/low setting but sure is nice to be able have some range when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to hike with one of those Energizer 3AAA headlights that was rated to 100 lumens. I came upon several sets of white eyes reflecting back to me, maybe 25 to 40 feet away and I couldn't identify the animals. They didn't run when I yelled at them. It was quite unnerving.

I now carry a 200 lumen light (also a 3 AAA version) but almost never use the high power setting. I agree that 100 lumens is more than enough light for simply night hiking, but there are times when I want more light than what is required to see my footing immediately in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I used to hike with one of those Energizer 3AAA headlights that was rated to 100 lumens. I came upon several sets of white eyes reflecting back to me, maybe 25 to 40 feet away and I couldn't identify the animals. They didn't run when I yelled at them. It was quite unnerving.

I now carry a 200 lumen light (also a 3 AAA version) but almost never use the high power setting. I agree that 100 lumens is more than enough light for simply night hiking, but there are times when I want more light than what is required to see my footing immediately in front of me.
    I do very little night hiking but appreciate the BD Spot because of 200 lumen max that can be temporarily engaged simply by tapping the side of the housing and then returned to pre-set level by tapping again. IIRC they've gone up to 300 lumens for the high but IMO this is completely unnecessary — 200 lumens lights up the woods for about 150 feet for me!

I use my BD spot most often, often on high, when I head out to the woods to find the dogs when they are on some scent and won't come when called. They also quit making noise when I get close so I can't find them with audible clues, I have to see them. When I get really angry with the dogs I pull out my 900 lumen light and flood the whole darn forest.

BUT, for night hiking, I generally don't use the light at all, and when I do, I rarely use more than 40 lumens or so unless I'm hunting for trail markers on poorly marked or non-existent trails when the more power the better. I carry tiny lights backpacking (i.e. primarily on trails) and big powerful lights mountaineering when finding distant cairns or other distant route identifiers is critical.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I wish I had a light with two speeds and a simple mechanical toggle or rotary switch, 3 positions.... low - off - high, and some sort of separate mechanical way to toggle white vs red (or green)

Every light I've had, both cheap and expensive seem to have a dizzying array of settings of different levels and usually a red color thrown in too....with one push button. I want a dim red light...but first push gives me bright white, the next dim white, etc.... Well I should say every led I've had is like that. I think the first headlamp I ever had was more simple to my liking...one speed, on/off. A Princeton tech halogen I think it was.... rather big and heavy by today's standards.

I'm thinking for the purpose outlined by the OP, a better combination just might be a dim headlamp with a second bright light handy...so when you hear the noise you can pop on the spot...rather than cycling your dim light off, to red, to low, to medium,....

Perhaps a winning combo could be a dim light mounted waist height or so for better hiking depth perception, and a bright spot at the ready on the head

if your going to night hike go ahead and use a real light...I recommend the Princeton Tec "League".....backup would be one of the new Energizers available at any Wal-Mart or Lowes.....good value and lots of light....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

I wish I had a light with two speeds and a simple mechanical toggle or rotary switch, 3 positions.... low - off - high, and some sort of separate mechanical way to toggle white vs red (or green)

There actually is such a beast but you wouldn't want to use it for night hiking, the Petzl e+lite... 50 lumens max and runs on 2x 2032 buttons so not a lot of run time.

that's pretty sweet cmoulder. I love it except for the batteries. l love the switch design...well what I can see in a picture anyway.

A long time ago though, I swore off lights that need 'special' batteries. By special I mean very small so they don't have much potential energy in them, less available, expensive, or all of the above. I'm partial to AA and AAA since you can get them anywhere....even more places than you can get button cells.

Here's one I've been considering becasue I like the switch on it too.... but for the price the battery has too small a capacity for my preference. Still, rechargeable is starting to have more appeal to me... the idea is growing on me.

https://www.ucogear.com/air-lithium-...adlamp-hl--air

One downside to rechargeable is no field replacement of batteries, although some rechargeables can also run on AAA, etc.

I know, one can use an external brick for recharging but I ain't that kinda guy.

If forced to stick with only one headlamp it'd be the BD Spot. Just replace the stupid-heavy head band with some shock cord.

Spot_headlamp_04.jpg Spo_headlamp_03.jpg

Old thread, but I 4th the Zebralight 1AA. H52Fw for me, but I haven't kept up with the latest models. Nothing beats a wide beam with neutral tint for hiking at night.
    After all, there are some things you don't want to miss seeing...
    FB_IMG_1533051112072.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++