WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    The dogs are the owners responsibility not some random hiker who happens on them by chance. Don't berate this guy because he tried to be helpful but not as helpful as you deem he should have been.
    Having been in a very similar situation, I found the level of effort lacking. He had a phone and a telephone number. It would not have taken particularly long to reach the owner, he only gave the owner 30 minutes to get back in touch. He didn't even really wait that long, it was the road crossing he was approaching.
    Then he left the dogs by the side of the road.

I'm responsible for my own dogs too. While rare, once in a while they get loose. I am very thankful when somebody takes the time to secure them before getting smeared on the road. It's what good people do, isn't it? They help those in need.

That's how we got both my dogs. Rescuing a stray and a drop off puppy from the road. Was my youngest who brought home the stray. Said to my wife "Mom I just couldn't leave her in the road." We'd only had her a month or so when someone was knocking on my front door round 9:30 p.m. Wasn't expecting anyone and I was a little gruff answering the door. Was my neighbor across the street. My neighbor was holding the new dog who had dug under the fence on her potty break. Really good people the couple across the street, nice neighbors.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

When I lived in NYC, my wife brought an abandoned dog from the dog run. A true mutt (looked like a rottweiler and something else) with big flapping joules. I told her we could not keep it as we already had a dog, 2 cats, a parrot and a 3 foot iguana. She told me that we would only have it long enough to find it a home. Well over the course of a few days we got attached to him and decided we would keep him.
    I had called the police, Humane Society, and the ASPCA, and they all told me that I could claim ownership if I wanted it and thanked me for caring for it. I went with my wife to the dog run that afternoon and the guy that abandon it tried to get it back, when a Humane Society Officer took his jacket off and handcuffed him and charged him with animal cruelty as the temperature that day had been hovering around 100*. Bubba and Henry still sleep beside my bed every night and remind me of my wife who passed away in 2001.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Having been in a very similar situation, I found the level of effort lacking. He had a phone and a telephone number. It would not have taken particularly long to reach the owner, he only gave the owner 30 minutes to get back in touch. He didn't even really wait that long, it was the road crossing he was approaching. Then he left the dogs by the side of the road. .....
    My point is the guy tried so give him a break. You are making an assumption that it would not have taken long to reach the owner. You don't know when the owner would have called back. It could have been hours or never (which apparently was the case because the OP doesn't mention ever getting a call back).
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Did he try yes, but keep in mind it is not the dogs fault its owners have not taken the time to properly care for them. I am not sure what the right thing to do is here as I have never been in that situation. But I would remind anyone in this situation that it was not the dogs choice to get lost in the woods.

Images

There was a dog we encountered near Laurel Creek falls that has a sign attached to it explaining that the dog was not lost. My guess is the owner got tired of having people "return" a dog that wasn't lost.

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    On a recent section hike in VA, my partner and I passed a guy heading in the other direction more than a few miles from a road crossing. He had three beagles in tow, and he looked pretty distressed. He told us the dogs had been following him for hours, that he was really worried about them but hadn't been able to get close enough to them to check their collars, and he didn't know what to do. Dude was waaaay more stressed out than he should have been. We talked about it for a minute or two, but as we went our separate directions, the dogs followed me instead of him. I said to him over my shoulder, "Well, you're in luck, they aren't following you anymore." He called back to us, pleading with us to take care of the dogs and to try to find their owner.
    Umm, no. I told my partner that those weren't my dogs, that I don't even own a dog of my own and am not looking to take care of someone else's animals, and I was just going to pretend like they weren't walking in a line 3' behind me. Well, that got old after a couple of miles because I couldn't think about anything else, so eventually I was able to lure one of them in close enough with some jerky to get his owner's name off of his collar. We called "Buckshot" and left a voicemail telling him his dogs would be at the trailhead at the next road crossing in about 30 minutes. We still hadn't heard from him by the time we got there, so we distracted the dogs with some more jerky near a picnic table, made our escape, and didn't see them again.
    Later that afternoon, I mentioned it to a couple of girls that we met, and one of them LOST HER MIND because we left those dogs behind. Told us we had no heart, and that we should hope nothing happened to those dogs, that they didn't get hit by a car, etc. because we would be responsible. I thought she was joking at first, but she was not. How would we be responsible?? And how long were we supposed to sit and wait for Buckshot to call back? In the end, I just agreed that she was a better person than us and moved along. I still don't believe we did anything wrong, but I have to admit that after the dogs had been following me for a few miles, I did start to feel a twinge of responsibility for them.
    However, it did make me wonder...if you've ever had an animal latch on to you for an extended period of time during a long distance hike, what did you do about it?
    I think you went above and beyond what you needed to do for kindness sake.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

If I encountered...
    A hunting dog- I would act as if its not there.
    A pet- I would try for a 2-3 min time period to try and retrieve some information from a collar- I don't know what temperament this dog has, I don't know if its owner is ghost camping over the side of the ridge or if I am going to get bit while trying to help a situation I am not 100% sure about.

A lot of us travel a very far distance to hike. At this point I am driving 400 miles one way to complete the next nearest section of un hiked trail. I would be mighty upset if at some point in my trip I put myself in a situation that resulted in a dog bite, when the owner was around the corner.

Now I do understand that someone could point out the fact that I could just as easily get bit sitting at a shelter with the owner present. This is true however if an aggressive dog is with its owner, most owners are pretty good on the trail of keeping their distance(not all< but most). However, avoiding this situation with the lost dog scenario I am increasing my odds by avoidance.

"You have no heart you SOB, BOOHOO!" .....How many dog pounds did you pass to get your whiny butt here? Why aren't you volunteering at them right now instead of walking in the woods?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

In Maine it's illegal, under the portion of hunting law that prohibits interfering with hunting, to interfere with hunting dogs, as well. A game warden let a friend know about this when she kept a hunting dog near her truck and called the wardens to help her find the owner. This dog didn't have a radio collar or any other indication that it was a hunting dog, other than it being a breed that's more commonly used for hunting bear. The warden said that any action that keeps the dog from doing what it's intending to do is interference. So giving it jerky to get it to do something could be considered that. Is it likely that it would result in a misdemeanor charge, no, but it's still breaking the law (in Maine).

I'm not sure about dogs that aren't likely to be hunting dogs, but in my view for the case of the OP, the responsibility lies on the owner, not on whoever the dog may become attracted to. The OP did more than required in that situation, IMO.

In many rural areas people simply shoot stray dogs. Sad, but definitely true. People get tired of inconsiderate neighbors who moved to the country so they could just let their dogs and children run wild. Then the dogs start killing their neighbor's chickens. Or chasing their cows. Or spreading their trash halfway down the road. People get sick of it. And then they shoot the dogs. If you live in the country and your dog doesn't come home one day, this is what likely happened to it. And your neighbor will never tell you what happened to your dog either. They will just shoot it and bury it like they would a raccoon or other pest threatening their livestock. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    In many rural areas people simply shoot stray dogs. Sad, but definitely true. People get tired of inconsiderate neighbors who moved to the country so they could just let their dogs and children run wild. Then the dogs start killing their neighbor's chickens. Or chasing their cows. Or spreading their trash halfway down the road. People get sick of it. And then they shoot the dogs. If you live in the country and your dog doesn't come home one day, this is what likely happened to it. And your neighbor will never tell you what happened to your dog either. They will just shoot it and bury it like they would a raccoon or other pest threatening their livestock. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.
    Fences cost $
    A lot more $ than the dog most of time

Worked with a guy many years ago that had a dog on his street chase him. He fed it hamburger with broken glass in it. It lived. He fed it hamburger with poisons in it, it lived. Eventually he killed it, I dont remember how.

We were sued and had to get rid of a dog when i was a kid, it dug up neighbors flower beds.

The OP did nothing wrong. They just happened to tell their story to a nut job who loves dogs a little too much. They'll be a few on here as well. I've had hunting dogs follow me as well as strays that I've chased away and those that wouldn't leave. The only time I've felt the need to do or say anything was when I was approaching a dog owner with my unwanted companion and they began to bark at each other. I told the owner the stray wasn't mine so he would know to act accordingly.

As has been said, you are under no obligation and trying to call was more than necessary. The dog is the owner's responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jackwagon View Post
    In Maine it's illegal, under the portion of hunting law that prohibits interfering with hunting, to interfere with hunting dogs, as well. A game warden let a friend know about this when she kept a hunting dog near her truck and called the wardens to help her find the owner. This dog didn't have a radio collar or any other indication that it was a hunting dog, other than it being a breed that's more commonly used for hunting bear. The warden said that any action that keeps the dog from doing what it's intending to do is interference. So giving it jerky to get it to do something could be considered that. Is it likely that it would result in a misdemeanor charge, no, but it's still breaking the law (in Maine).

I'm not sure about dogs that aren't likely to be hunting dogs, but in my view for the case of the OP, the responsibility lies on the owner, not on whoever the dog may become attracted to. The OP did more than required in that situation, IMO.
    There are laws here in Indiana that protect hunting dogs as well. A friend of mine was coon hunting one night and his dog got into a barking match with a home-owner's dog. The home-owner got out of bed and shot the hunting dog right in his own driveway next to his house. Cost him around 10k for that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jackwagon View Post
    You bet your butt I'll do all I can to stop a stray abandoned hunting dog from tearing up my tent or stealing my food when I'm out on a long backpacking trip. In fact, the hunters I talk to don't want their dogs glomming onto me for severals days and in a single voice tell me to "beat them with a stick" to get them away from me or out of camp. Strong words but these are local boys who don't think twice about branding their dogs with hot irons, leaving them lost for days at a time, and wrapping their necks up with battery packs.

Jackwagon's post reminds me of a trip I pulled in March 2010 when I was backpacking thru the NC mountains during winter and was on the Benton MacKaye trail heading off Hangover Mt into Big Fat Gap, a deadend parking lot for rolling traffic. There was a forest service sign posted in the Gap which read---

"ATT: Forest Users: Hunting is a time-honored sport and is legal in the National Forest. Many hunters use dogs for hunting. These dogs have collars that allow the hunters to find their dogs after the hunt. These collars do not hurt the dogs, these collars are tracking collars. It is against the state law(Statute 14-401.17)to remove or destroy these collars. Please leave the dogs alone so the hunters can find and care for their dogs. VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!!"

Sure enough. And yet as I looked around thru the gap there was beaucoup trash and cans and human-generated litter and fire rings built by hunters in the center of the gravel lot. So, being the hiker idiot I am, I wrote this in my trip report---

"Where are all the signs warning against litter? Where are the bear proof trash cans like in TN? Why isn't the bulletin board fixed or removed? Here's how I'd rewrite the stupid sign:

"ATT: Out of State Forest Users: Littering is a time-honored sport and is part of the local culture and is legal in the National Forest. Whenever you find cars and trucks you'll find the grand southern tradition of discarded beer cans, plastic bottles, used toilet paper and turds, cigarette wrappers and butts, garbage bags and minor or major trail sign vandalism. If you see a smoldering firepit leave it alone. Dogs are frequently left to fend for themselves overnight and for several days while their owners are at home sitting on couches and sleeping in warm beds. This is especially true in the winter. If you see a skinny shivering dog in your camp clawing into your tent or pulling apart your food bag, DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, because if you do you will be violating NC state Statute 6-666-piggy "Simple Dog Interference" and/or "Shining The Light On Hunter Malfeasance", section 00-69-666shoaty." It's against state law to complain about hunters, to point out hunting infractions, and to criticize them or their dogs. Onboard Collar Recorders will record all hiker interactions with hunting dogs and upon retrieval appropriate legal actions will be taken. Remember: People who show compassion or exhibit stern commands to hunting dogs will be violated."

So ended my 7 year old rant, a rant provoked by scores of hunting dogs invading my camps over the last two decades. It's a grand southern tradition.

Hounds in general, and Beagles in particular, have perhaps the best scent tracking abilities of any dogs. Trust me - those dogs' noses know exactly where home is, and how to get there. They'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tscoffey View Post
    Hounds in general, and Beagles in particular, have perhaps the best scent tracking abilities of any dogs. Trust me - those dogs' noses know exactly where home is, and how to get there. They'll be fine.
    While this is true to an extent, it is not always true. If they were driven several miles from home before being turned loose to hunt, they might not make it home on their own. Spoken by a hunter of many years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tscoffey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    While this is true to an extent, it is not always true. If they were driven several miles from home before being turned loose to hunt, they might not make it home on their own. Spoken by a hunter of many years of experience.
    Or they pick up the scent of a rabbit and follow it into the road. My beagle mix as a kid loved chasing rabbits. He got hit once by a vehicle, i can't say he was chasing a rabbit. Somebody shot him once too. Shouldn't have been running around but he was an escape artist. Chewed through doors, slipped out of collars, chewed leads, and could climb chain link fences, even ladders but only up.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

"ATT: Out of State Forest Users: Littering is a time-honored sport and is part of the local culture and is legal in the National Forest. Whenever you find cars and trucks you'll find the grand southern tradition of discarded beer cans, plastic bottles, used toilet paper and turds, cigarette wrappers and butts, garbage bags and minor or major trail sign vandalism.
    Good one!! I like it.

I can imagine a similar sign up in Maine on some of the fragile coastal islands about traditions established by lobstermen.

exactly right!
    I raised a couple litters of beagles when I was in high school many years ago. Dad & I used to hunt them along with some other friends that also ran packs of beagles. The best dogs wouldn't stray off like that for too long, but it was not uncommon for them to run a long way chasing a deer. They would sometimes be gone many days but would eventually track themselves back home. Those dogs were not lost, they were smart. Got your jerkey didn't they?

And I think elf was right.... urban folks probably just don't understand country practices

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Not your responsibility.
    My daughter has a saying that fits this situation.
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys."
    Grampie-N->2001

I have probably rescued and returned dogs to their owners at least ten times in the past eight years. However, that was while local to where I live, and usually dogs that either wandered onto my property or dogs that got out and then got lost in my immediate vicinity. I had the benefit of having leashes, treats, a charged phone, internet connection, and a car to meet the owner. When you're hiking, you have limited resources and , even as a dog owner and dog lover, it isn't fair to expect a hiker to work dog rescue miracles. Sounds like OP did right.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++