WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting the approach trail Sep 8th

Got approved for my vacation at work Have september 8th through the 16th to hike north starting at the approach trail. Will be hiking with 2 buddies. I have never hiked the georgia section before. But my thoughts are to resupply at Neels Gap first, then maybe carry enough to get to NOC? Have most my gear ready to go but need to go through it all again and get a good base weight. Will be doing at least a section of the foothills before to make sure all my gear is in order.

So GA hikers, what are my best resupply options?

Journal Entries

Unless your a 20 mpd hiker
    You probably wont want the 100+ mile carry from Neel to NOC.

Hiawassee is best bet, about middle

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post

So GA hikers, what are my best resupply options?
    Neel Gap
    Hiawassee
    Franklin, NC

Yea, that would be a long haul from Neel Gap to NOC.

Resupply at the Top of Georgia hostel or Hiawassee. From Hiawassee, you should be able to make it to the NOC in one shot, but many do another resupply in Franklin.

But since at best you only have 8 days and your looking at 140 miles, so you'll have to average at least 17.5 miles a day (if you have the full 8 days to hike), detouring for resupply is going to be a problem. Also, GA isn't real easy and NC is down right hard.

If your a real strong hiker and going alone, you might be able to pull this off. But groups travel slower, even if it's just 3 of you. Doing 140 miles in that time frame is very optimistic, especially since your starting to loose daylight hours in early Sept. If you encounter any inclement weather, that will also slow you down. Consider trimming it down to just GA, ending at Dicks Creek Gap.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I will be starting the approach first thing in the morning. I actually have 14 days off in a row so just trying plan for a couple days before and after to rest.

And I will take the advice since no one is suggesting I carry that much of a load to the NOC. I love the town of hiawassee anyways so I will add that to the list. My girlfriend will be picking us up wherever so I don't have a set milage I have to do. I have no problems stopping shorter than I hope to get. I do want to complete GA section at least. If we end up needing to hike sunday and monday we could do that as well.

As said above Neel Gap, Hiawassee or TOG hostel, and Franklin would be my choices.

Most likely it it will be hot and humid in early September, so take that into consideration.

Leonidas

If you want to complete Georgia, you might as well shoot for Franklin, not much past Dick's Creek Gap. Shuttles can be found to semi-close to the border but they can be pricey. that and if you plan on continuing forward, makes it a pain to start from where you stop if you only go to the border. Franklin would be ~ 109.6 + your 8.8 for the Approach.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

If starting at Amicalola, then I would take the bare minimum of what you need to get you to Neel Gap. No sense hauling 5 days worth of food up the approach trail only to find on day 3 that you have 4 days of food leftover. Just that everyone thinks they will eat more than they initially do, partly due to the initial strain of being on your feet and humping a pack all day.

Based on an average hiker, you're looking at 11 days for that section. Probably need to plan on 1 day of cushion, and then only one day of rest before and after. Maybe you actually get 2-3 days of rest after, and that wouldn't be so bad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

-

also, for most folks NOC is not an ideal resupply, my strategy is to hopefully come in with a spare meal or 2, buy a couple meals of freeze dry at the store, leave with a belly full of breakfast, and a pizza to go from the restaurant - and make it to Fontana, where you need to do whatever it takes for longer term resupply going into the smokies

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    If starting at Amicalola, then I would take the bare minimum of what you need to get you to Neel Gap. No sense hauling 5 days worth of food up the approach trail only to find on day 3 that you have 4 days of food leftover. Just that everyone thinks they will eat more than they initially do, partly due to the initial strain of being on your feet and humping a pack all day.

Based on an average hiker, you're looking at 11 days for that section. Probably need to plan on 1 day of cushion, and then only one day of rest before and after. Maybe you actually get 2-3 days of rest after, and that wouldn't be so bad.
    This is one thing I struggle with, I always carry to much from the start. I know we will have a good breakfast before the start but just worry to much about making sure I have enough to finish with.

Hike into Franklin. It's after Dick's creek and before the NOC. It's an enjoyable hike, all the while still difficult. Don't let the terrain maps fool you, GA is strenuous! Hiking the approach trail puts you at an advantage though. the approach is challenging and will prepare you for day 2 going into Sassafras and the ups and downs that will follow. Maybe consider your first resupply in Hiawassee. you'll get there by day 3,4. No need for the long haul you had originally planned.
    110 AT Miles
    Headed NOBO

"Embrace The Suck"

Following closely, you are starting the day before we are.
    Of course I doubt our speed will be close to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Neel Gap
    Hiawassee
    Franklin, NC
    Agree with this. Trying to get off the trail anywhere else requires someone to make slow, time consuming drives down forest service roads.

++ New Posts ++