WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    ....The worst possible scenario is you won't sleep much and you'll have to get up and move around or start your day early with some "night hiking". The coldest hours are usually 2-4 am. So if you've pulled up early in anticipation of the cold night to come... you may be able to sleep from 7 or 8 pm until 2 or 3 and simply start the day early. You've still gotten your 8 hours of sleep... and you avoided the part of the night where your bag is likely to "fail" so in effect you've simply corrected for the unexpected cold front by adjusting your sleep time and your bag worked fine. Going with the flow is the trick under most of UL philosophy really.

..... And many a "Speed hiker" will happily tell you of the wonders and life changing experiences to be found when you are on trail a few hours before dawn. It's exhilarating to mosey along for that first hour or two while you and your body wake up to the new day. And satisfying to take a siesta during the nastiest hours of the day's heat too if you feel you need a bit more rest. Being willing to walk outside the "9-5" schedule of many hikers opens up quite a few options..

Truer words there are not...

We love Costco down throws for summer sleeping. I sewed up the footbox on mine to make it quilt-like and put a zipper in my kid's (his request). 1lb and just barely long enough for me at 5'7". Love it, though I think taller folks would need to hack two together.

Images

I just bought an EE Revelation 50 in order to supplement my FF Flicker 30. Most of my recent overnight trips have been in the middle of summer and the Flicker has been overkill. The Flicker works fine, but I'm pushing it off and and then pulling it on, back and forth, throughout the night. Nothing egregious, but worth trying a 50 degree quilt IMO.

When I am going to hike all day my clothing choices reflect the expected lows more than the rating of my bag. Up to a point anyway.

IF you're not looking for a one bag solution(or only camp in sweaty weather) I've been quite happy with my Snugpak Jungle bag. Its not good for much below 60*, and is not the lightest on earth(27oz) but its very durable, antibacterial treated and designed to deal with being sweat soaked(machine washable) and for those not using something to keep bugs at bay, has a built in mosquite/insect screen. Bottom line is it works...and when was the last time you bought a piece of decent gear for $79?

Well, I hike mostly in the Sierras out here in CA and the weather can be 90 with the sun up and be 15 when the sun goes down. I error on the heavy side and always bring my 28oz hooded 19degree Igneo mummy bag; if it is too hot I can unzip or just sleep in my layers but if the temps drop I am certain to stay warm. With a good nights rest I seem to be a happier hiker but that is just me and my .02

One day I will probably have a summer specific quilt but just can justify it yet

My 20* bags/quilts (currently a Zpacks 20*) are my go-to for most nights, and I'm a cold enough sleeper that I'm usually fine without overheating into the 50s. For warmer nights, I really like my Montbell Synthetic Alpine Burrow Bag- it's a 50* bag that weighs about 21oz and cost me about $100. It's not the lightest option (it's heavier than my 20*) or the cheapest, but it was the right combination of cost, weight, and availability (i.e. no lead time) for me. If I had infinite cash and didn't need it right that minute, I'd have probably gone with something from EE and saved a bit more weight, but most of my local summer trips are 1-2 nights, so I'm not really going to sweat a few ounces in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    IF you're not looking for a one bag solution(or only camp in sweaty weather) I've been quite happy with my Snugpak Jungle bag. Its not good for much below 60*, and is not the lightest on earth(27oz) but its very durable, antibacterial treated and designed to deal with being sweat soaked(machine washable) and for those not using something to keep bugs at bay, has a built in mosquite/insect screen. Bottom line is it works...and when was the last time you bought a piece of decent gear for $79?
    Another vote for snugpak ... I have snagged some great clearance deals (well less than $79) on their Chrysalis bags (the 2 and the 4) ... I forget if through Amazon or Vermont Barre Army Navy. Maybe one for each. In any case, they've been great and it's been nice to be able to wash them without much fuss or worry. I may look into the jungle bag too, as the reason I've washed the 2 a few times is that it was too warm for the conditions (IIRC it's EN rated to 36F) and I got a bit sweaty in it. And I'm a very cold sleeper ....

I am using a CDT top quilt and 3/4 length CDT under quilt for warm weather hammocking.

When temps drop I switch to a set of 20* Hammock Gear quilts. I have a 40* set as well, but will likely sell them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++