WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tuscarora Trail-Lehew RD (WV 23/3) to Siler, VA (RT 600)

I started my section hike at Lehew Rd (WV 23/3) trailhead. There is a small bridge near the trailhead and a small parking area. This portion of trail is the old TT(and is still blazed blue) after recent relocation on top of the ridge, 3.2 mile from trailhead. Along the side trail, I planned to stay at Lucas Woods campsite after a 4 hour car ride I didn't want to make it a big day.IMG_0039.JPG

The following day I hiked the other 1.2 miles(now blazed white from camp to TT) to intersection with the TT and continued hiking north and came to this overlook.IMG_0045.JPG I eventually came to Pinnacle Camp.IMG_0048.JPG Trail guide says there is a spring around here, but I was not able to find the trail to it. I did find the trail to the cave and other overlook though(Cave had a turkey vulture living in it).

Next, I came to Pinnacle shelter for some lunch.IMG_0050.JPG There was a good running stream about a 1/10 of a mile north of the shelter that was running good in mid-May 2017. Trail was in good shape through this area and then fell off after another 2 miles. I did not make the next shelter I had planned on camping at and ended up camping along the trail with a good water source. The next day, I continued on and found Barclay's Run shelter after a bit of bushwhacking around a clearing some one bulldozed across the trail.IMG_0052.JPG I did not check spring here. After stopping for a snack at the shelter I continued on to the intersection with the Gore Connector Trail. No sign here but there is a trail register. I took the connector trail into Gore. Trail is white blazed(looks to be the old TT at one time from what I could tell from the the blue paint showing through the white paint blazes). Stopped in Gore at the grocery store and had a Gator aid. Walked road back to trail where it crosses RT 50(still the old trail). When the trail crosses RT 50, it begins a 9 mile road walk to Basore's Ridge shelter.

Road walk was nice/ok. Lucky for me, I hit the road walk on a cool overcast day. Mostly a walk through farm country. Nearly everyone who passed me in they're cars waved and I met a nice couple at the top of the last hill before Gainsboro,VA that offered me a couple of cold waters. I'd have to say, RT 600 was a busy little road the Saturday I hiked on it. I actually had a friend coming down to meet me(from PA) at Basore's Ridge shelter and he came across me on one of the bends on RT 600.

Eventually, I made Basore's Ridge shelter.IMG_0062.JPG When my friend meets me out on the trail, he usually brings something good to eat. This time it was 1" pork chops. YUM!!! Cooked on the grill over the fire with a side of strawberry applesauce.IMG_0061.JPG

Two other items about Basore's Ridge shelter, Burton Spring is a small swamp. Be prepared to backwash filter if you water up here. Secondly, Trail North of shelter is closed to VA 600.IMG_0060.JPG I saw another one of these signs that said trail closure had been in effect since 2015??? With the closure that met going back down the hill again to where I left VA600 the day before and continuing on to Siler. I made it to where trail cross VA 600 again from closure. A 4.7 mile detour. Took trail into the woods and then into a cow pasture. Blazes are a little hard to find through here. But I got through the last mile to my truck parked at the old general store in Siler, VA.

All in all, this was a good hike. Some areas were a little difficult but were easy enough to figure. Blazes were good. Tread way, in the woods was good for about the first 8 miles. Road walk was good but could use a few more blazes. Would have liked to know about trail closure before hand, but it all worked out.

Thanks for the trip report and the helpful info regarding the water source at Basore's Ridge Shelter. Indeed, the trail between Pinnacle Shelter and Barclay's Run Shelter is an "experience," to be sure. How was Lucas Woods Campsite?

Just saw your other thread regarding the campsite. Thank you for the "condition report"!

++ New Posts ++