WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mylar food bags--anyone try these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0099...rds=mylar+bags

i have been looking at these after looking at nyloflume bags.

Nylo is odorproof and Mylar seems the same.

A five gallon bag seems like it should be big enough.

Put a clip and hang it.

Lightweight. Strong. Odor and waterproof.

I've canned food using Mylar. But the zip locks strike me as something worth experimenting with b

has anyone done that?

I've hiked both Springer > Erwin and Kathadin > Rangeley with LOKSAK. Always slept in my tent with my food, never had issue. Not saying anyone should try this, but I have confidence in these bags to this point. I also rarely ate near my sleeping arrangements. Not sure if its the same material as what you are asking about. I would think if you are going to hang it these bags might be overkill, a proper hang should be all you need?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

They are light and cheap. Some shelters I stayed at had bear poles so low that we just called them bear piñata poles.

Guaranteed not to last save your $$...simply use an odor barrier bag to line your food bag.....hang pct method or sleep with it...can't imagine those zips functioning long...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nylo bag works great as a pack liner...lil lighter than compactor bag..

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Nylo bag works great as a pack liner...lil lighter than compactor bag..

thanks.

Bet they last longer than the Mylar zips.

Nylofume bags are amazingly durable.

Friends of mine use them for pack liners and then use the same bags to inflate their air mats. They've not had to replace them after many trips and no rips or punctures so far.

Not familiar with the first one.

Used to be able to get Nylofume singles for less than $3 on ebay... really jacked the price up if that $12 for a single is the cheapest one now!

Better perhaps to get 20 for $25, keep a few and pass along the rest for postage plus a couple of dollars and easily break even. No doubt what the schmuck is doing on ebay selling them for $12 a pop.

This
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/272667961608

Oops there hone

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Not familiar with the first one.

Used to be able to get Nylofume singles for less than $3 on ebay... really jacked the price up if that $12 for a single is the cheapest one now!

Better perhaps to get 20 for $25, keep a few and pass along the rest for postage plus a couple of dollars and easily break even. No doubt what the schmuck is doing on ebay selling them for $12 a pop.
    That's...crazy.....I paid $2 Inc shipping!

Yep......... Ripoff alert!!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    This
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/272667961608

sold out.

Though they are selling inflatable pillows.

Thanks for reminding.... I've been thinking about trying out one of those pillows. Not a huge gamble at $2.75!

I got my odor barrier bags when they were sold as Nylobarrier Bags by Litetrail. I believe that they are now available as BaseCamp Odor Barrier Storage Bags. Disclaimer - I know nothing about this retailer. I just Googled to find someone selling. But just like the package sold here, I got a sample pack of 2 large and 3 medium bags. My large are the perfect size for a pack liner and the medium are the perfect size for a food bag liner. I use one of each. This puts two layers of odor barrier between my food and my sleeping bag/clothes when everything is stuffed in the pack. I can say that before I used these, when I opened my pack after a few days on the trail, everything smelled of the past week's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But now, my pack is noticeably less smelly. I'm not sure they are not strong enough to use alone as a food bag (I have a Zpack Blast Bag). But as a liner they work great. I have been using the same liner for several trips and they are still air/water tight. They don't have any seal - just an open bag. But they are large enough that I take the neck, twist and fold over to keep odors in and water out. I am not 100% sure these are the same bags and the same size, but I have read on-line that they are and as you know, everything on the Interweb has to be true.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bcp-f232335

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I got my odor barrier bags when they were sold as Nylobarrier Bags by Litetrail. I believe that they are now available as BaseCamp Odor Barrier Storage Bags. Disclaimer - I know nothing about this retailer. I just Googled to find someone selling. But just like the package sold here, I got a sample pack of 2 large and 3 medium bags. My large are the perfect size for a pack liner and the medium are the perfect size for a food bag liner. I use one of each. This puts two layers of odor barrier between my food and my sleeping bag/clothes when everything is stuffed in the pack. I can say that before I used these, when I opened my pack after a few days on the trail, everything smelled of the past week's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But now, my pack is noticeably less smelly. I'm not sure they are not strong enough to use alone as a food bag (I have a Zpack Blast Bag). But as a liner they work great. I have been using the same liner for several trips and they are still air/water tight. They don't have any seal - just an open bag. But they are large enough that I take the neck, twist and fold over to keep odors in and water out. I am not 100% sure these are the same bags and the same size, but I have read on-line that they are and as you know, everything on the Interweb has to be true.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bcp-f232335
    The odor barrier bags get holes after a little use so wouldn't use as a stand alone food bag. I line my zpacks food bag with one and recently noticed holes in it which is likely from a mountain house bag I had in it...they have sharp corners....it lasted probably 3 weeks or so...I also bought the multi pack of amazon

++ New Posts ++