WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I like to be miserable and I eat when I'm sad

Find my breaking point, go 5 more miles, and eat 10k calories while I'm doing it?

Why didn't I discover speed hiking sooner?

Did my first two 30+ mile days and first 40+ this month, with some shorter & faster hikes/runs mixed in. Haven't really felt 'the stoke' since I stopped paddling whitewater seriously. I'm starting to look at ridgelines the way I used to look at creeks. I'm going to dial back on the big days for a couple weeks and try to get some 3 day sets of fast 20-30 milers and do some actual (not just downhill) trail running, which I vaguely recall having enjoyed at some point. Then I'll probably be looking to try and link up some 40 mile days.

My two big goals right now are to do the AT from Davenport to Fontana in 24 hrs in August (going over that way to watch eclipse) and my fastest possible AT/BMT loop in Sept/Oct. Both might be overly ambitious, but I survived Davenport to Newfound pretty much straight off the couch carrying my Jansport bookbag, so I know I have the willpower and should be able to get my body tuned enough to at least drag along for the ride.

It is a lot of fun to go hard. I started 3 summers ago. I've hiked 600 miles of AT since then. I like to do 50 miles in a weekend. My next hike is in a couple of weeks: Buena Vista to Daleville (80) miles in 3 nights. I'm 43, mostly fit but I can't run more than 3 miles. I can (and do) walk all day though.

I hate camping, but I like collapsing on my pad for a few hours at the end of a 30 mile day.

++ New Posts ++