WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Canceling a shuttle

is there an appropriate amount of time you should give when canceling a shuttle?

Had to cance a shuttle I arranged for this eeekend, and just wondering if having cancelations is part of running a shuttle, or if I didn't give enough heads-up?

Thanks!

Once you book it they arrange a lot of logistics around you. I would offer to pay on that short of notice.

Stuff happens. Give as much notice as you possibly can so the shuttle driver has a better chance to book another shuttle in that time slot.

I would say it is a part of doing business.

Journal Entries

most dont ask for money in advance, and just consider it part of the job. Most only have your first name and ask you check in to confirm day before...its a loose run business. If you dont check in, they wont lose sleep over it. I imagine theres quite a few that never follow up.

If the shuttler had to cancel on you , would he arrange another for you , etc? Prob. not. Might give you a name or two. But they will be late...because they picked up someone else to share your ride, without asking you. Some charge both of you full price, doubling their money, while good ones split it, halving your cost when that happens. MOre than once I planned to be on trail at 9am...didnt get on trail till noon because shuttler was late....shuttling other people first. Once I was in the car..when they got a call and detoured to pick up another hiker...costing me about 45 min. On the bright side they cut my charge in half that time so I was OK with it.

give them as much notice as possible, if its last minute Id offer half or something myself MAX. Thats all their profit will be, half the charge....maybe.
    If someone wants you to pay full price...for nothing...they are just trying to screw you and net double the money. Tell them to go to hell.

Cancel several days before....no.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-25-2017 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Once you book it they arrange a lot of logistics around you. I would offer to pay on that short of notice.
    Same here.

Give as much notice as you can. If they didnt ask for money or a deposit up front they are probably ok with cancelations. Most shuttle drivers run it out of enjoyment or a part time hobby. When you cancel days in advance its not like they are sitting at the trail head waiting for you.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Yeah, it's better than being a no-show, especially if they have to drive a long way to the meeting location.

But I'd still offer to pay part of it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

It might depend on what type of ride. If you're just having somebody local (ex: from Franklin pick you up at Winding Stair) give you a ride to town, I would give as much notice as possible and not sweat it too much. But, if you're talking about a full day for somebody to drive you from Atlanta to Springer, I would certainly offer to pay them something, especially if that's their primary business and they might have turned down other hikers because they were already booked.

I booked and paid for a shuttle with the hostel at Dicks Creek Gap (Top of Mountain??) in Georgia. A tropical storm rolled in and although I paid to a nice lady on the phone, her son (I think) took my cancellation call and refused a refund, saying I was told it was non-refundable. I told him I was not told that, but he thought I was incorrect and just did not remember. The next year I paid more to a fellow I used before to take me down to Springer for my section. Amazing that without paying a driver, burning his tires and gas, at least a partial refund would be in order, but he is smarter than I am.

Images

I would think that whatever you do, calling ahead and canceling is MUCH MUCH preferred to being a "no show".

I have heard from a shuttle driver of hikers calling two shuttles at the same time with the idea that they'd take the ride from whoever gets there first. Very inconsiderate.

The one case I had to cancel (2-3 days in advance), I asked them how much I owe and they said nothing.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I booked and paid for a shuttle with the hostel at Dicks Creek Gap (Top of Mountain??) in Georgia. A tropical storm rolled in and although I paid to a nice lady on the phone, her son (I think) took my cancellation call and refused a refund, saying I was told it was non-refundable.
    In 25 yrs of using shuttles
    I have never paid for a trail shuttle in advance

Quite honestly, I wouldnt do business with someone that required it, as trail plans are very prone to changes by both parties.

Curtis from standing bear hostel chewed me out one time for cancelling on short notice. Funny thing...it werent even me, he got confused.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-26-2017 at 15:13.

Journal Entries

Our connecting flight got screwed up by a Chicago thunderstorm. After a night sleeping in the airport, we arrived more than a day late at our destination. The schedules were changed and changed again. We weren't able to give our shuttler notice soon enough to prevent him from wasting half a day. When we re-scheduled with him, we paid double. Not our fault, but it certainly wasn't his.

On another occasion, we were meeting a shuttle at a parking lot near a bridge in a small town. Our phones had no reception at the bridge. He never showed up. Turns out he was on the other side of the bridge, out of view. When he couldn't find us and couldn't reach us, he went on to the next person. Later when he shuttled us, we didn't pay any extra. His inconvenience was minor.

As I just found out if a UBER ride/shuttler waits beyond 5 mins at a supposedly agreed upon meeting pt without me suppsedly showing up UBER charges me $5 for the driver canceling. I was in the gas station lot in front of the store awaiting my UBER ride 10 mins before they supposedly arrived. Saw no one matching the ride's car or plate description. I think he never showed. I still got charged.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Our connecting flight got screwed up by a Chicago thunderstorm. After a night sleeping in the airport, we arrived more than a day late at our destination. The schedules were changed and changed again. We weren't able to give our shuttler notice soon enough to prevent him from wasting half a day. When we re-scheduled with him, we paid double. Not our fault, but it certainly wasn't his.

On another occasion, we were meeting a shuttle at a parking lot near a bridge in a small town. Our phones had no reception at the bridge. He never showed up. Turns out he was on the other side of the bridge, out of view. When he couldn't find us and couldn't reach us, he went on to the next person. Later when he shuttled us, we didn't pay any extra. His inconvenience was minor.
    Nicely said. That is the way people should do business.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

We run our shuttle service as a business and in 5 years we've never forgot anyone.

Most people are considerate - no shows are rare. We ask for confirmation the day before and stress it a few times and 99% of hikers confirm.

Honestly, at the end of thru hiker season we're so tired that the occasional cancellation can be a welcome break.

Also consider that a driver just makes a schedule and drives.

If I have 3 shuttles scheduled and the first party is 15 minutes late and the 2nd party decides they want to go to Y gap instead of X gap all the 3rd party knows is the shuttle driver was late. Don't always blame the shuttle driver. Hikers are a big part of the equation.

Things you can do to help the driver is be ready to go when your driver arrives. If you have a shuttle scheduled for 10:00 and you get there at 10:00 and have to change clothes, fix your food bag, put on your boots, etc. you're not really on time.

Another thing is make your stops before getting in the shuttlers car. When you're running on a tight schedule stopping at McDonald's on the way can make the driver late for the next appointment.

Connectivity is at an all time US high. Consideration by clear communication maybe not as much.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    is there an appropriate amount of time you should give when canceling a shuttle?

Had to cance a shuttle I arranged for this eeekend, and just wondering if having cancelations is part of running a shuttle, or if I didn't give enough heads-up?

Thanks!
    Just to add to this - from a logistical standpoint during busy season cancelling a shuttle at the last minute is better for the shuttler than trying to reschedule the shuttle at the last minute.
    Last edited by 10-K; 05-28-2017 at 16:19.

I shuttle in New England part-time. I don't have a scheduled route and I focus on airport runs (4+ hour trips). Because of that I have to move things around my schedule to accommodate a ride. I would be livid with a no show with no follow up. In fact this weekend I picked a couple of people at Boston Logan and I had to rearrange a play date with my kids to accommodate everyone. If I had a no show I would not have been a happy camper. I know stuff happens. I have a contingency plan if I can't make it. My rule is just think of Karma. If you feel good about paying for a last minute cancellation (in full, half or just token amount) then go for it. The reality is if a rider did this to me and offered to pay something I probably wouldn't take it. Just the thought counts.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Things you can do to help the driver is be ready to go when your driver arrives. If you have a shuttle scheduled for 10:00 and you get there at 10:00 and have to change clothes, fix your food bag, put on your boots, etc. you're not really on time.

Another thing is make your stops before getting in the shuttlers car. When you're running on a tight schedule stopping at McDonald's on the way can make the driver late for the next appointment.
    Once a shuttler showed up 10 min early
    Which made me forget about changing clothes
    So, I had to carry my jeans, shirt for 100 miles
    I threw away my cotton underwear and socks

Some shuttlers like to stop on long runs so they can have smoke break.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-30-2017 at 15:21.

I guess in general, I just wanted to know if there was a time frame when cancelling a shuttle was acceptable. Especially because at some point in time I'd like to use the same person again to shuttle. Unless you're without phone service, I don't get not letting them know you no longer need a ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++