WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: BAG temp help

Default BAG temp help

So what bag temperature do you recommend for a sobo thru leaving K mid July? At our pace I'm thinking of a finish date right around New Years, which leans me towards a zero degree if I'm thinking right, but I don't really want that warm of a bag the whole hike.... I already have a 30 degree bag but know that won't cut it the whole hike ( thinking of the whites and the last 2 months or so... Advice appreciated.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

You bring up the whole can of worms of whether to carry a bag (and/or a kit) for all four seasons or not. It's something I used to do when I lived out of my backpack all year long and didn't have a storage center or a home so I had to carry gear that would work in July and January.

But the beauty of four season winter gear is it will work in the summer, too. My four season tent works in July and works in January. Same with a winter bag, though you might not be using it most nights until 3am as a blanket.

Most people here will probably recommend swapping out bags mid-hike or whenever, or doing some logistics to avoid carrying too much of a bag.

Sleep comfort is important for me so I'd go with the lowest rated but lightest bag I can find and keep it thruout the trip. WM makes some very light 0F or 10F rated bags which will certainly cover the spectrum. My buddy Patman has a Lynx which is light. Overkill? Well, such a bag works great as a throw-over quilt with the option of zipping up when conditions get cold. I sleep much better when not mummified---zipped up tight---and therefore want my bag to keep me warm unzipped as a quilt. With the option of mummification when needed.

Tipi,

I use the montbell super stretch, may be named slightly different now. that takes care of the same issue I have with the mummification. Since I have the 30 degree I may just switch out at the whites and then again in southern Virginia maybe. just not sure of where and what that winter rated bag should come to. I guess 0-10 degrees is where I'll need to be?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Why won't a 30 degree bag work through September and most of October? Are you a cold sleeper? What is the lowest temperature that works comfortably for you?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Layering works for clothing, so it should work for sleeping systems as well. Here's what I'm bringing on my 2018 NoBo through-hike:
    • Marmot Cloudbreak 30 synthetic mummy bag (31 oz.)
    • silk mummy inner liner (3.4 oz.)
    • SOL Escape Bivvy outer liner (8.3 oz.)

This works for me because I don't need a lot of room; I've got short legs and fit in all of these. If you're over 6' or broad at the shoulders you might have problems, especially in the SOL bivvy. I may use all three layers at the (late winter) start of my hike, omit the bivvy after the Smokies, then in summer sleep in the liner on top of the sleeping bag. You'd just reverse the order for your SoBo hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Why won't a 30 degree bag work through September and most of October? Are you a cold sleeper? What is the lowest temperature that works comfortably for you?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have found in real-world conditions (high humidity, cold wet air, loss of bag loft etc) that a rated 30F bag can be trusted to work down to 45F---a 15 degree difference and leeway. This pertains even to top of the line bags like WM. My -15F winter bag keeps me cozy and warm at 0F but not much more.

(Of course the whole discussion of what's underneath you is purposely left out as it's another topic for another thread).

++ New Posts ++