WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Loop hike from North Adams to Bennington?

Is it realistic to make a route from north Adams start to Glastenbury lookout and back out the west ridge trail to Bald mountain to Bennington in three days?
    I'm a little out of shape and don't expect great miles this early in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you thinking this weekend? If so it will be muddy, with rain Friday and Monday.

North Adams to Goddard shelter isn't too bad except for the RT 9 crossing which is very steep. There's a good climb out of North Adams too. The trail can be very muddy for much of the length in this area.

I've never been on the west ridge trail, but my book says 11.5 miles to Bennington, 5.5 hours by the formula. However, this trail may not be well maintained, so expect blowdowns and some head scratching to find the proper route.

So, I'd guess if you went to Congdon camp for the first night (10 miles) then Goddard the next (14 miles - get an early start!) then out the 3d day (11.5 miles) you could do it, but you'll be really sore after it's all done.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That's what I did for my first two days on the LT, Congdon to Goddard. Day 2 was a looong hike. ~10hrs. The descent to Bennington was really steep and sketchy since there was a monsoon the night before. I actually broke my big toe on that descent and got to walk another 260 miles on it lol. Long story short, it's doable but will be a long hike without much time for enjoying it. Goddard shelter was one of my favorites on the trail

++ New Posts ++