WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: sobo question

Default sobo question

would there be any restrictions on being able to summit katahdin the day I arrive from an AM shuttle outside of weather? I was hoping to get two nights at KSC but really only seeing one available on July dates needed... just trying to figure out logistics here. I would hate to buy a campsite, not get to summit K, and then what?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

It depends on if the shuttle drops you off at Abol Bridge or if they can go into the park and drop you off at Daicey pond.

If the shuttle is to Abol Bridge, I'd hike into KSC for the night, then tackle the summit the next day and hike out. That way you do the climb fresh, but your still looking at a 20 mile day to hike out. Granted, the last 10 miles are easy, but still 20 miles on your second day out. Your not likely to do much better then 1 MPH going up and down Katahdin, so there's about 10 hours right there. No good solution to your problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Stay in milinocket the night before, shuttle into the park, climb Katahdin, come dwn and stay the night in KSC, walk out the next day. Or, see if you can find a night at roaring brook or Chimney pond, climb up from there and come down Hunt trail and stay at KSC.

There is a stickey for sobos here on Whiteblaze.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Stay in milinocket the night before, shuttle into the park, climb Katahdin, come dwn and stay the night in KSC, walk out the next day. Or, see if you can find a night at roaring brook or Chimney pond, climb up from there and come down Hunt trail and stay at KSC.

There is a stickey for sobos here on Whiteblaze.
    Starting on the other side is a great option if you can get a spot there the night before your KSC reservation. Abol is another option if you can get a spot as you could camp there, climb via Abol and start your SOBO at the summit.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

thanks everyone. this gives me some other ideas. things are booked up so quickly in mid July I'm just trying to see what options there are. I was hoping to book 2 nights just for a better chance at a clear summit day but as it stands there are only a few one day windows open at KSC. Anyone out there already booked that want to make up some money at a tent site we could split costs with?

2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

The shuttle to Abol Bridge is cheaper/faster than to KSC. The hitching back to town from either is maybe the best on the trail.
    You should consider hiking from Abol to a night at KSC, then summiting K the next day and hitching back to town for the night. Restart at Abol and cut the length of the 100 mile wilderness by 15 miles to 100 miles.
    Very strong hikers, with an early shuttle, could do this in one day, and no nights at KSC (don't try this at home).

Images

oops, you are back in town after 20 miles of hiking.

I am including a link to the "SOBO Special" page at the web site for the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket:

http://appalachiantraillodge.com/packages/sobo-special/

They routinely shuttle people to KSC in the morning during hiking season with plenty of time to summit Katahdin and then spend the night at the KSC campground on the evening you have a reservation for. Another service they offer is to place a food drop for you in the middle of the Hundred Mile Wilderness (you have to supply the food). That keeps you from having to leave Baxter State Park lugging all the food you need to get all the way to Monson (the food drop involves a separate fee -- it's not included in the SOBO Special).
    Last edited by map man; 05-25-2017 at 19:13.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

You need an AT hiker permit

You must get it from the KSC ranger station, so most likely thats where you will start from .

You can also get it from millinocket headquarters, and then you can start whatever trail up katahdin you like.

appreciate all the help. I'm set.

2012 Springer-Erwin

++ New Posts ++