WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommend low cut waterproof hiking shoe for wide feet

Hi all, I have a 10.5 EEE foot and am looking for a wide waterproof hiking shoe.
    Any suggestions?
    Keen was my first choice but they don't seem to have waterproof low cut shoe except for their work shoe series with hard toes.

IMHO The reason you may not find them is that the entire concept of low cut water proof shoe is not well thought out. Water will get inside the shoe via the low cut portion of the design and will them sit inside the shoe with no place to go. Generally someone is far better with a well ventilated shoe that dries out quickly when it inevitably gets wet. If worried about wet feet wear goretex socks

I had a pair of low cut shoes with GTX liner. They do fill up with water during a heavy rain, like a thunderstorm, but gaiters can help reduce that. After dumping the water out, I never found them to take very long to dry out. Besides that, they can keep your feet significantly drier on wet and muddy trail if you don't sink too deep into the puddle or mud hole.

But where to find shoes for short, fat feet I can't tell you. You may have to take a chance and order on line, as you can often find a better selection of sizes on line then at a retail store. I have a similar problem with long, narrow feet. The stores tend to stock shoes with a medium width with is often too wide for my feet so my foot rolls inside the boot or shoe.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For wide feet - especially near the toes - go with Altras (lone peaks are what I've used). However, steer clear of anything waterproof. It will just keep moisture inside your shoes (sweat / soakers), and you will get blisters. Mesh shoes dry very quickly as the heat from your feet pushes the moisture out. I had dry feet 1/2 hour after stepping in a creek on a crossing. With goretex my feet would have been rotten by the end of the day sitting in that moisture. Steer clear of anything goretex when you're hiking. There's no such thing as waterproof and breathable. It doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    For wide feet - especially near the toes - go with Altras (lone peaks are what I've used). However, steer clear of anything waterproof. It will just keep moisture inside your shoes (sweat / soakers), and you will get blisters. Mesh shoes dry very quickly as the heat from your feet pushes the moisture out. I had dry feet 1/2 hour after stepping in a creek on a crossing. With goretex my feet would have been rotten by the end of the day sitting in that moisture. Steer clear of anything goretex when you're hiking. There's no such thing as waterproof and breathable. It doesn't exist.
    I beg to differ. I wear Goretex boots exclusively and have none of the problems you cite. But it depends on where your hiking. If your primarily hiking in a dry, hot and low humidity area like much of the west, then mesh boots or shoes make sense. However, hiking on trails where it often rains, the humidity is high the trail is often wet, (like the AT) goretex shoes are the way to go. Sure your feet won't stay 100% dry, but they will stay much drier then mesh shoes which can be constantly soaked for days or weeks depending on the season and location.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify my needs. I'm not thru hiking, but will be visiting areas with permafrost which can get like a wet sponge in the warmer summer months. I have boots already, but am looking for something for less active days but still water proof/resistant for around camp and short jaunts. Mesh shoes would get soaked immediately. I do hike with meshed shoes during the summer for cooler drier feet, but for these conditions would like waterproof. I'm just having a hard time finding anything for wide feet.

For camp shoes in those kind of locations, try neoprene scuba boots.

Leonidas

Vasque makes wide shoes that are low cut and GTX, or at least they used to.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    I'm just having a hard time finding anything for wide feet.
    Since it's just camp shoes and not for long days... Altra has a waterproof low cut. They're perfect for wide feet.

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/lon...3-neoshell-low

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I beg to differ. I wear Goretex boots exclusively and have none of the problems you cite. But it depends on where your hiking. If your primarily hiking in a dry, hot and low humidity area like much of the west, then mesh boots or shoes make sense. However, hiking on trails where it often rains, the humidity is high the trail is often wet, (like the AT) goretex shoes are the way to go. Sure your feet won't stay 100% dry, but they will stay much drier then mesh shoes which can be constantly soaked for days or weeks depending on the season and location.
    This is an interesting article by Andrew Skurka.

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/waterpr...plete-failure/

Hi all, I have a 10.5 EEE foot and am looking for a wide waterproof hiking shoe.
    Any suggestions?
    Keen was my first choice but they don't seem to have waterproof low cut shoe except for their work shoe series with hard toes.
    When you find one get a patent on it. You will have a one of kind shoe.
    More scarce than unicorns they are.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify my needs. I'm not thru hiking, but will be visiting areas with permafrost which can get like a wet sponge in the warmer summer months. I have boots already, but am looking for something for less active days but still water proof/resistant for around camp and short jaunts. Mesh shoes would get soaked immediately. I do hike with meshed shoes during the summer for cooler drier feet, but for these conditions would like waterproof. I'm just having a hard time finding anything for wide feet.
    LL Bean boots. Seam Grip seal the 3 rows of stitches and SnoSeal the leather.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Like this.
    https://m.llbean.com/product.html?sk...2F&csp=a#19069
    Wayne

I've used the Keen and Altra mentioned above. I also like Oboz. they have waterproof low-top trail shoes in wide sizes. Not sure if they would be wide enough for you or not.

Topo is another good shoe co. that makes the wide toebox just like altra, except they're lighter and have a rock plate (on the trail runners, terraventure). They even have a waterproof version. I found that altra has a hump in the footbed, and my flat feet didn't like it. Topo is flat and very comfortable. I found I needed to size up one.
    http://topoathletic.com/

Also, I have a find most 4E wides shoes fit best, but sizing up one on the topos, they fit perfect. Even with thicker socks on.

(why can't I edit my post????)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    LL Bean boots. Seam Grip seal the 3 rows of stitches and SnoSeal the leather.
    Wayne
    Does the SnoSeal not work on the stitching? Or is it just not as good as Seam Grip? I've used SnoSeal on both the stitching and leather.

Thanks, giving the Topo shoes a try.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Does the SnoSeal not work on the stitching? Or is it just not as good as Seam Grip? I've used SnoSeal on both the stitching and leather.
    Just my belt and suspenders brain at work. Melted SnoSeal worked into the stitching should be fine. Talk about ancient lo-tech. Often the best way.
    Wayne

just put some bread bags or grocery shopping bags over your socks when you need and you can use two layers over the socks. or you can buy sealskinz socks that are waterproof and breathable but pricey.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++