WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    just put some bread bags or grocery shopping bags over your socks when you need and you can use two layers over the socks. or you can buy sealskinz socks that are waterproof and breathable but pricey
    So the footwear will be wet and your feet will be drenched with sweat (assuming you're actually moving around). Sounds like the worst of both worlds. vapor barrier layer socks are for very limited use in deep cold where you can't afford to get your boot insulation wet with perspiration. It's even questionable they're needed at all in those extreme circumstances with the proper choice of socks, boot insulation and boot shell breathability but that's a whole other conversation. The bottom line is that if you're moving around and getting your feet sweaty your only chance to get rid of that moisture is to have a sock that doesn't retain moisture and a shoe or boot that breathes and lets that vapor escape. Like I said before... If you walk for 1/2 hour after stepping in a river with mesh shoes in the dry, your footwear will be pretty much dry. Goretex will keep the shoe or boot soaked inside for days unless you can run a hair dryer in them for an extended period. Waterproof / breathable doesn't exist. Ask all the manufacturers of rain wear why they put pit zips in their products.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    So the footwear will be wet and your feet will be drenched with sweat (assuming you're actually moving around). Sounds like the worst of both worlds. vapor barrier layer socks are for very limited use in deep cold where you can't afford to get your boot insulation wet with perspiration. It's even questionable they're needed at all in those extreme circumstances with the proper choice of socks, boot insulation and boot shell breathability but that's a whole other conversation. The bottom line is that if you're moving around and getting your feet sweaty your only chance to get rid of that moisture is to have a sock that doesn't retain moisture and a shoe or boot that breathes and lets that vapor escape. Like I said before... If you walk for 1/2 hour after stepping in a river with mesh shoes in the dry, your footwear will be pretty much dry. Goretex will keep the shoe or boot soaked inside for days unless you can run a hair dryer in them for an extended period. Waterproof / breathable doesn't exist. Ask all the manufacturers of rain wear why they put pit zips in their products.
    He mentioned he's looking for a way to stay dry at camp, didn't he?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saprogenic View Post
    Also, I have a find most 4E wides shoes fit best, but sizing up one on the topos, they fit perfect. Even with thicker socks on.

(why can't I edit my post????)
    Become a donating member and you'll be able to edit your posts.

Journal Entries

Another chime in in the benefits of low top waterproof footware. Yes they don't work as intended for most people, if they do your feet may not sweat much and you have foot pixies fanning your shoes dry with their wings as you hike.

But where I like them is in the winter paired and sealed to a good set of gaters. To me this is the ultimate shoe for hiking in the snow for normal winter temperatures when insulation is not needed . I don't like mid or high top shoes and find them restricting my ankle's movement and creating friction hot spots.

Keen still makes the non steel toe Targhee 2 that's WP...and although not currently up on all their models they prolly have other wide WP low cut versions. The Altra Lone Peaks is another one. Yes, Andrew's article is a good one. But he's added to that with more current articles about when he does choose WP shoes. I'm also of the strong opinion that WP shoes DO NOT take all that long to dry compartively on a side by side same conditions same model comparison but one version WP and the other non-WP. I also don't buy into the logic that a shoe has a operning at the top, umm, where the ankle is, so it's not water proof. By Andrew's same logic than a rain jacket isn't WP either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++