WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cutting solid fuel tabs???

Walmart has UST Esbit style stoves for less than $5, They are bigger than the fold out Esbit stoves and less durable... I don't like them.

But they come with eight 28 gram fuel cubes. I normally use 14 gram Esbit which are 12 for $9. If I can halve the UST cubes I'd get 16 tabs for under $5. Not a bad deal.

But I'm having trouble cutting them cleanly, chopping them is a no go, a fine tooth miter saw works OK, but it's hard on the blade... I'm down to using some nichrome wire and a variable DC power supply for an improvised hot knife (not tried it yet).

Any other cheap ass know how to cut these things cleanly and with minimum waste?

I need to figure this out because I bought all six they had on the shelf! And yes, I could just blow them out and save the trouble, but that's too easy.

I'm using Esbit stove+fuel since many years, and at the beginning I payed big attention to place exactly the necessary amount of fuel in the stove, and let burn down any exess, in order to pack the fuel box inside the stove - as advertised.
    Lately, I just place more fuel than needed, and blow it out after the job is done. Exess fuel stays in the stove for the next use, the fuel package is packed extra (in the same ziploc as the stove). Much less hassle and less debris this way.
    So in short words, I'd go the too-easy way.

"So in short words, I'd go the too-easy way."
    Agreed, they are easy to blow out & almost as easy to relight. If I have trouble relighting I use a tiny piece of "wetfire" as a starter. One cube of that will last weeks.

I wish the small esbit tablets came individually wrapped. Maybe I just need to get a small opsak.

Do you get the same BTUs from the UST tablets? Might not be as potent as esbit and half a tablet might not be enough.

Journal Entries

Another just blow it out, and for good reason, at least for Esbit - Esbit burns exactly opposite how you would like it to.

As you burn a cube of esbit most of the heat is up front, it slowly dies as it is consumed till you are near boiling and really need that first heat to send it over the top boiling, but you actually have a lot less BTU's to accomplish this as the tablet is mostly consumed and a lot smaller. This is because your pot water cools at a rate proportional to its temperature and that of it's surroundings. (humidity and evaporation are also a factor).

So if conserving Esbit the best way is to start out with a small remnant of the Esbit tab from your last cooking to get the water up to temperature, then add a new piece to bring it to a boil, blow out the new remnant for next time. If not conserving using/adding multiple smaller pieces works well.

It's not as elegant then the one tab per cook system but overall more efficient and faster. Though I have noticed that a partly used Esbit tab seems to have a bit more odor, so that may be a reason not to do this.

They seem to be really close... same texture and smell. The UST tabs are thinner but longer/wider. I can't tell any difference in burn time.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Another just blow it out, and for good reason, at least for Esbit - Esbit burns exactly opposite how you would like it to.

As you burn a cube of esbit most of the heat is up front, it slowly dies as it is consumed till you are near boiling and really need that first heat to send it over the top boiling, but you actually have a lot less BTU's to accomplish this as the tablet is mostly consumed and a lot smaller. This is because your pot water cools at a rate proportional to its temperature and that of it's surroundings. (humidity and evaporation are also a factor).

So if conserving Esbit the best way is to start out with a small remnant of the Esbit tab from your last cooking to get the water up to temperature, then add a new piece to bring it to a boil, blow out the new remnant for next time. If not conserving using/adding multiple smaller pieces works well.

It's not as elegant then the one tab per cook system but overall more efficient and faster. Though I have noticed that a partly used Esbit tab seems to have a bit more odor, so that may be a reason not to do this.
    ...it is remarkable how much attention we pay to the smallest details of hiking. your post is interesting, and i thank you for suggesting another way to look at a daily detail.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post

I double bag the tabs and stove when stowing them and the smell is just a smell, I don't freak out, gag or pass out over it.

I've actually been laughing at myself over this whole deal of cutting up the tabs... it's actually pretty pointless, I know. But part of my mind says that 14 gram tablets work great so that's what I need to use... wish it would just be quiet.

It makes sense that smaller pieces would be more efficient as would blowing out the flame as soon as the water boils. With half of a UST tab I can boil 2 cups of water and still have a couple minutes of boil time before the flame goes out on it's own...kinda wasteful.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have been using the 4 gram esbit and they work for my cook kit.
    I buy an 80 pack of them on ebay for 20.00 shipped.
    I also have stocked up quite A few of the wally world brand stoves you mentioned with the flat square fuel cubes and was thinking about how to cut them as well.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    I have been using the 4 gram esbit and they work for my cook kit.
    I buy an 80 pack of them on ebay for 20.00 shipped.
    I also have stocked up quite A few of the wally world brand stoves you mentioned with the flat square fuel cubes and was thinking about how to cut them as well.
    Do you get a boil from 4 grams?

Images

Try using a straight edge and utility knife or Exacto to score and then break.
    Three 4 gram esbit will boil 2 cups in a titanium toaks 600 pot under ideal conditions.
    Last edited by zelph; 05-24-2017 at 15:54.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do you get a boil from 4 grams?
    If not I get close enough to hydrate my meal just fine or hot enough for A cup of coffee
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

I find I can break an Esbit tab in half by hand, though it takes a bit of force.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I find I can break an Esbit tab in half by hand, though it takes a bit of force.
    Yes you can, because you also bend titanium into a trowel.
    Blackheart

-

the coghlan tabs are small to start with so no need to break, some times less than a dime shipped - as far as burning down at the end, start with 2 and add 1 more later if needed

++ New Posts ++