WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The 40-Year-Old Scientist Who Dropped Everything to Hike the Appalachian Trail - Outs

Outside Magazine

The 40-Year-Old Scientist Who Dropped Everything to Hike the Appalachian Trail
    Outside Magazine
    The 40-Year-Old Scientist Who Dropped Everything to Hike the Appalachian Trail. Facing a failed marriage and an underwhelming job, Tonya Holt decided to sell her belongings, cancel her apartment lease, and set out on a six-month wilderness backpacking ...

More...

She's clearly looking for something that she's not going to find on the trail.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    A clean pair of pants?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Typical "journalism".
    One does not cancel a lease. You have to continue playing for the term of the lease.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Typical "journalism".
    One does not cancel a lease. You have to continue playing for the term of the lease.
    Wayne

A lease is just a contract between two parties. If both parties are willing to renegotiate or cancel it, then it
    is a simple matter. Many corporate apartment companies include a cancellation clause, which includes a cancellation fee, directly in their lease agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    A lease is just a contract between two parties. If both parties are willing to renegotiate or cancel it, then it
    is a simple matter. Many corporate apartment companies include a cancellation clause, which includes a cancellation fee, directly in their lease agreements.
    Right. Have you tried it?
    My experience was in Texas. In Texas I was responsible for the full term of the lease. If I died my family was responsible.
    The rest of the world may be different.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

My last several leases in California (where rent is expensive) had a cancellation clause. In recent years, I would have to pay money to cancel it early (almost 2 months rent). Did so once after getting laid off. Not cheap and only worth it if you weren't near the end of the lease period. Other places I've rented a long time ago, could make you pay till they rented your place to someone else. That was the most they could do thanks to a state law.

So yes, you can cancel a lease if it's in your contract or your state has a law about it, but the pain to wallet may vary due to location.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Right. Have you tried it?
    My experience was in Texas. In Texas I was responsible for the full term of the lease. If I died my family was responsible.
    The rest of the world may be different.
    Wayne

Wayne, I don't mean to imply that all leases can be broken, I was only stating that it is quite possible in some cases and that the article's claim is plausible.

Since you ask, I have twice gotten out of a lease early, both times I had a landlord whom I was on very good terms with and had discussed the possibity with them months in advance.

Fair enough. A friend of mine had a different experience.
    Maybe I'm jealous or envious of people who are able to flip a switch and bail out of the real world.
    I'll crawl back under my rock until my time comes.
    Cheers Y'all!
    Wayne

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    That's a very poor characterization of the article.

Apparently she has made it to mile 431 (NOBO) on her 45th day.

http://twibee.com/tonyamaeholt

Good for her! I wish we had details of her scientific diet.
    Organic Vegan Pop Tarts?
    I'm Kidding! Seriously, 9.5 miles per day average is very nice. Snow and all. As a Maine native the snow would feel like home.
    Wayne

Wish I had known her, we could have taken her hiking, give her a workout thats better than a squirrel cage in a gym. At the same time, she could have done some AT miles in ME and NH.

I too am curious why she didn't make a run up to the whites for practice sessions. Being in southern maine, its a 1 1/2 hour drive. Plenty of opportunities to get training and experience. There are multiple meetup groups in the region that are out every weekend and of course AMC has multiple training experiences.

Nevertheless I wish her luck

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I too am curious why she didn't make a run up to the whites for practice sessions. Being in southern maine, its a 1 1/2 hour drive. Plenty of opportunities to get training and experience. There are multiple meetup groups in the region that are out every weekend and of course AMC has multiple training experiences.
    Um, maybe because it was winter, and that's a terrible time to train in the Whites unless you are highly experienced with winter hiking/backpacking? Training last fall wouldn't have done her much good, especially if she wasn't starting from a great fitness base.

I can't say I'm highly experienced in Winter hiking and camping, but I do it. Plenty of hikes that stay below tree line. Some trails are actually easier in Winter once the trail is packed down. The air is clearer, the sky brighter and its a completely different world. And no bugs.

The great and almighty Burger has replied therefore all bow down to his brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The great and almighty Burger has replied therefore all bow down to his brilliance.
    If you think I'm wrong, feel free to disagree. That's what the internet is for. But your sarcasm doesn't help anything and is off-topic. Have a nice week!

Apparently practicing on a treadmill worked for her. She has done 449 miles in 46 days, and did 17.7 miles yesterday.

It's too bad she didn't find the WB community before heading out, she could've obtained a priori criticism and real estate law advice, proper physical conditioning and training regimens, proper nutritional meal plans, ulimate gear selection, emotional and psychological counseling, and I am sure a wealth of other singular right-way minded feedback.

Seems to be making good headway nonetheless. I bet she is having fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++