WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First ever thru-hike in 85 days possible? 25mpd.

The reason I am asking is that it is much easier to get a 90 day visa. My experience is I've done a few coast 2 coast walks in England they are about 200 miles and quickest I did it in was 8 days I think, It is only 11 of these in a row, no big deal. That was a few years ago. I am much fitter and slimmer now than then. I have done ironman triathlons, 5 mile swims 41 mile ultra runs and a 3:28 marathon in the last few years. While I accept this is different to walking 25 miles day in day out up and down hills with a rucksack, It still makes me far better prepared than when I did those coast to coast walks. So a 90 day visa, a day getting to start and from finish to airport, plus a few zero days. 3 months off work will be much easier to sell to my boss than 5 or 6 months. I've got a good pair of legs on me, I can travel quite light and, touch wood, I don't pick up injuries as a general rule - even when doing 20 hours of exercise a week for ironman training. The AT is something I have wanted to do for 20 years, I will be 40 next January and I fancy doing the Brighton marathon on April 15 then getting a flight to Atlanta on April 16th and then trail day 1 = April 17th. All done and dusted and get a flight back to blighty about July 15th, back in work soon after. Am so excited about it, I am feeling like I might actually do this.

So is this a reasonable aim, bearing in mind most people take a more leisurely 5-7 months.

(Note: The only answer I want to hear is "yes")

My 100 Day Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list..._jjoZWiz7e9ZVb

Images

You will likely hear a chorus of people saying it is impossible. Here is the answer to your question.

http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pac...ould-you/27590
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Another very strong hiker is Early_Riser_71 who is on day 92 and isn't quite done.

Would also be interested to know what the minimum weight of rucksack people have taken. Hopefully I can maybe get away without much cold weather gear. Just walk in shorts and tshirts, maybe 1 pair of combat trousers. Walking boots, baseball cap. Food and water, toothpaste, toothbrush, shower gel, mobile phone, wallet, contact lens stuff and spectacles, cheap poncho, 1xlightweight fleece, sleeping bag, 1 pair of trainers, 1 pair of trousers, socks and underwear, small towel, shaving gear (not using this as an excuse to go unshaven, that is most unseemly). I am a naturally light packer so sure if anyone can do it threadbare it is me.

Interesting read malto. My plan is similar to that said in the document. I doubt I will necessarily hike fast, just will put more hours in. I will also hike light. As I said I will be doing a marathon before I leave and part of that marathon training will be putting in as much as 100miles per week running, much of it hilly. Whilst this isn't hiking with a backpack it will give me tough legs. I feel confident, just need the visa ok and the work ok and I'm there.

Sure, go for it kid!

Images

I see one hiker in four make it at all. I see lots of British hikers, who have a higher success rate, and they all have 6 month visas. For me, a four month hike is reasonable, but 100 days is 20 % faster and perhaps possible, but not reasonable. Your hike would be another 15 % faster. At some point you are not entitled to hike another 15 % faster.
    Rumor has it that you can leave to Canada, and come back, butt not sure that is with the 3 month visas and I have not actually met anyone doing this. Get a 3 month visa.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    I see one hiker in four make it at all. I see lots of British hikers, who have a higher success rate, and they all have 6 month visas. For me, a four month hike is reasonable, but 100 days is 20 % faster and perhaps possible, but not reasonable. Your hike would be another 15 % faster. At some point you are not entitled to hike another 15 % faster.
    Rumor has it that you can leave to Canada, and come back, butt not sure that is with the 3 month visas and I have not actually met anyone doing this. Get a 3 month visa.
    Get a 6 month visa.

You could do it, but you wouldn't enjoy it. Either get the longer visa or use the loophole and zip to Canada for a day and start the three month clock again. With the money and time wasted going to Canada I strongly recommend that you pay the money and get the extended visa up front. It will give you much more flexibility.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    You could do it, but you wouldn't enjoy it. Either get the longer visa or use the loophole and zip to Canada for a day and start the three month clock again. With the money and time wasted going to Canada I strongly recommend that you pay the money and get the extended visa up front. It will give you much more flexibility.
    How do you know if he would enjoy it?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Default You're Right

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    How do you know if he would enjoy it?
    Point taken. Everyone hikes the trail for different reasons. I was wrong to assume that he wouldn't enjoy a pure physical challenge with time constraints.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    You could do it, but you wouldn't enjoy it. ...
    Why wouldn't he enjoy it? Totally subjective call.

Try it OP, Hike for 85 days, maybe you finish, maybe you don't

I should have also noted that the Appalachian Trail is a much more rigorous trail than most think it will be. Although 25 miles a day is very achievable on some sections, it is nothing but a pipe dream in others.

Leonidas

Probably. But if it were me, I would push to late May or even June to be able to go as light as possible. Both last year and this year is has snowed in May as far south as the Smokies and even into parts of the Georgia section. People are still carrying their 20* bags this year because of the cold. A 3 month June-August, would put you at the hottest time of the year but also have the least likelihood you don't get crazy lows. Just something to think about.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Last post, I promise. Think very carefully about what rocketsocks said and try to read between the lines. Don't set yourself up for failure. If you do, you've been warned.

Having 4 months to allow a bit of flexibility would be wise

I'm in a north Georgia triathlon club where our motto is "Do Epic ****". Let me know when you need a ride from the airport to the trail head at Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    I'm in a north Georgia triathlon club where our motto is "Do Epic ****". Let me know when you need a ride from the airport to the trail head at Springer.

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get in REALLY good shape and prepare mentally. Andrew Skurka did it in 3 months back when he wasn't the elite athlete he is today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++