WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Lost on the AT". Don't bother

Just read " Lost on the Appalachian Trail" by Kyle Rohrig. If you are wondering about reading this book, don't bother. The author tries to copy Bryson. There are some fun parts and some ok reading, but it's a crude attempt. Who cares what position is good for taking a crap? The author has never heard of LNT; he creates campsites and fire pits where none existed, when his dog tangles with a cow pie, he bathes it in the nearest stream. When he has a diarrhea attacks and messes himself, he bathes in the nearest stream. He camps in alpine areas, including the summit of Liberty in the Whites and kills a rattlesnake just to see what it would taste like, but then complains about all the ticks he finds on his body.

There are far better books and better writing out there.

Registered Offender

Your review differs from the 575 or so it's got on Amazon. 4.7 stars of 5 is about as good as one might hope for with an AT-related book.

Images

TWO WHOLE POSTS IN YOUR LIFE AND YOU COME HERE TO CRAP ON SOMEONE"S BOOK.... Hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    TWO WHOLE POSTS IN YOUR LIFE AND YOU COME HERE TO CRAP ON SOMEONE"S BOOK.... Hmmmm?
    Just how many posts do I need?

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

I beg to differ. I found his book actually better than Bryson. I actually liked his book better than the other 30plus trail books I have read. My mother likes his book and all she ever reads is romance novels.

Kyle as a person is also a awesome guy. He sent my mom a copy of his book and paw stamp for free when she messaged him about getting a signature on a letter to hang on the wall.

And your humor must be dry if you can't see the fun behind different methods to **** in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. photon View Post
    Just how many posts do I need?
    I think generally folks like to settle in a bit and let folks get to know them, perhaps establish some credibility, be friendly, etc. No set rules. But to show up at a party and start crapping on a product isnt really considered great form among the majority. Maybe where you come from thats normal, but not around here is my perception. You're entitled to your opinion, in fact I like to see all perspectives and what matters to folks, so thanks for that. You mentioned some books you did like, perhaps share that with the crowd too?

Images

Don't like capt photon's review? Your choice is to attack the messenger or attack his review, which contained very specific examples of obvious bad-to-very-bad behavior.

How about address the specifics of what he reviewed. Were those accurate or not? But a general attack of his character? Not sure that impresses me. But that's just my critique.

Do I have enough posts to qualify to have an opinion?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I find reviews generally as subjective as folks choices for breafast cereals.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    In other words....Welcome to White Blaze!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Your review differs from the 575 or so it's got on Amazon. 4.7 stars of 5 is about as good as one might hope for with an AT-related book.
    Boy, he really did copy Bryson then, didn't he? Loved elsewhere except for real hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Don't like capt photon's review? Your choice is to attack the messenger or attack his review, which contained very specific examples of obvious bad-to-very-bad behavior.

How about address the specifics of what he reviewed. Were those accurate or not? But a general attack of his character? Not sure that impresses me. But that's just my critique.

Do I have enough posts to qualify to have an opinion?
    I believe you do! Agreed, no reason for the OP not to post his own review and have that review discussed on its own, for better or worse, just like the Bryson book. My guess is that this book won't spawn 10,000 threads about it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Great :-( Wish I read this yesterday before I ordered it on Amazon. Hopefully I will like it. Everyone has different tastes I suppose.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

++ New Posts ++