Default My Achilles tendon is getting better!!

I seem to be getting some relief from the 1/2 inch heel lifts I have been wearing. These cost $7 and feel better than the $50 insoles I purchased before trying these. So annoyed. I could have put that money towards trekking poles. Able to walk on my lunch hour.

Sorry, not a woman but say your post. I am finishing up my rehab from a complete tear of my Achilles tendon, one thing that really helps it to use a therapy band to help stretch the tendon up, down, left right and to do calf raises on stairs.

I had problems with mine in bootcamp (years ago) and then again on a hike I did last year...both from ill-fitting shoes. Achilles tendon problems are the reason I will never wear zero drop trail runners. I also can't have any slippage in the heal of my hiking shoes...too much rubbing causes aggravation of the tendon also. I try to stretch every morning and throughout the day when I'm hiking...it does help.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Men don't have Achilles tendons?

A Strassburg Sock cured my problems. http://thesock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I had problems with mine in bootcamp (years ago) and then again on a hike I did last year...both from ill-fitting shoes. Achilles tendon problems are the reason I will never wear zero drop trail runners. I also can't have any slippage in the heal of my hiking shoes...too much rubbing causes aggravation of the tendon also. I try to stretch every morning and throughout the day when I'm hiking...it does help.
    dune,
    i too have achlelies issues. the only time mine did not give me issues is when I was barefoot. I am trying some zero drop shoes for the first time with fear that it would make the problem worse but they are not giving me any issues, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    dune,
    i too have achlelies issues. the only time mine did not give me issues is when I was barefoot. I am trying some zero drop shoes for the first time with fear that it would make the problem worse but they are not giving me any issues, yet.
    My Salomon Speedcross trail runners have caused me no issues...so comfortable and no slip.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My Salomon Speedcross trail runners have caused me no issues...so comfortable and no slip.
    I've been looking at that shoe. Looks like it has a raised heel which keeps the pressure off this tendon. Are those shoes comfortable and how do they run as far as sizes go? I found these Adidas Rockadia trail shoes that I used for softball and got a second pair a half a size larger and these shoes feel great. Need to find another pair so that I have two pairs to rotate.

*UPDATE*

It has been a month and my achilles tendons have been pain free! I lost a small bit of weight as I spent the summer delivering meals and I stopped playing softball but that's all I've done. Delivering meals since June kept me running up and down stairs and from parking spot to restaurants and i thought it was going to destroy my tendons but as the months went on, I was finishing my days pain free. I can't wait to start hiking training and start going back to the gym.

I don't know anything about your diet, but it helps to consume collagen (or lots of meat).

Watch this.

I've been cutting my beef consumption down and eat chicken/tuna. I want to start eating other meats like lamb, deer. May not be able to buy too much of it but wanting something a bit different.

Very interesting. Thank you for the video!

Quote Originally Posted by naysjp View Post
    I've been cutting my beef consumption down and eat chicken/tuna. I want to start eating other meats like lamb, deer. May not be able to buy too much of it but wanting something a bit different.

I had a hike-ending Achilles tendon injury a few years ago. It was one of the most frustrating injuries I have ever experienced. I spent a lot of time researching how to recover and here are the two gems I learned:

1. Eccentric heel drops...hundreds and hundreds of them. I still do these exercises today even though I am fully recovered (it has been almost 4 years since my injury)
    2. Foam roller/tiger tail roller for your calves...this can help prevent future injury

I do not know for certain the cause of my injury, but the most likely suspect was my shoes. I changed my shoes right before I left for my hike and on top of that I think they proved to be too small once I was out on trail.

It also took a long time for me to shake the anxiety of wondering if it would happen again on future hikes. However I can report that I have been just fine and I have walked many many miles since recovering.

If you feel the twinge or tingle of pain in the area of your Achilles while on trail stop hiking asap and rest. As hard as it can be, listen to your body- I am still guilty of not listening sometimes even though I know how important it is-and rest when you need it. If that is not possible to stop right away, slow down, soak your Achilles in a cold stream as much as you can and evaluate your shoes for any clues to a cause. This is not an injury to ignore or walk through the pain. Stretch and massage your calves each night in your sleeping bags as a preventative measure.

Take good care and I wish you the best of luck with the recovery!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++