Thread: 40° bag ok?

Default 40° bag ok?

I know, I know, this is a newb question, I'm a little indecisive on this and just need a push. Haha. I've been checking ATweather.org and temps in SoCal have been around the low 40°s at night. I have zpacks 20° & 40° Bags. I am trying to decide between taking the 40° with base layers or the 20° and no base layers. I will have a light weight down jacket I'll be carrying either way.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm starting on the 21st heading north.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    I know, I know, this is a newb question, I'm a little indecisive on this and just need a push. Haha. I've been checking ATweather.org and temps in SoCal have been around the low 40°s at night. I have zpacks 20° & 40° Bags. I am trying to decide between taking the 40° with base layers or the 20° and no base layers. I will have a light weight down jacket I'll be carrying either way.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm starting on the 21st heading north.
    I would go with a 20deg quilt or bag. You will be surprised how cold it gets at night pretty much along the whole trail. I had a 20 quilt and bivy and often still wore my clothing layers to stay warm. You will also get colder easier as you lose weight on the trail.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

After a while on the trail the down 40 is more like a down 50

and the average nighttime low at 11000 ft in Sierra is less than 40, closer to 35, almost always hitting mid-upper 20s during one week each summer

Deserts and mountains both get colder than you think. 20* bag for sure. You can always vent for only a couple more oz

Ok thanks, folks. 20 it is. Bag is packed, sealed and ready to go.

I used a ZPacks 20 Degree on my JMT Thru Hike. I'm planning on mid weight sleeping clothes versus thermasilk for my PCT Thru. I had many nights I slept in all,of my clothes. Dates June 29-July 15 2016.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    Ok thanks, folks. 20 it is. Bag is packed, sealed and ready to go.
    Have a great hike. You will be starting on my 6 year anniversary so you are guaranteed success!
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

++ New Posts ++