WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Iconic locations

What, to you, are the iconic locations (the McAfee Knobs, if you will) along the GET?

I have read that the Standing Stone Trail is now an official part of the GET. If this is the case, then the 1000 steps and possibly the Hall of the Mountain King area would come to mind, maybe even the canal walk into Williamsburg.

What immediately comes to my mind is the Grand Enchantment Trail.

Not the uncompleted Great Eastern Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

I wasn't aware of this trail, disregard my comment if this is the trail OP is referring to.

I am sure Pete meant the Great Eastern Trail GET so Seatbelt's recommendations are all good ones. I would add Spruce Knob Vista, Indian Wells Overlook, Detweiler Run NA, and the Poe Paddy Tunnel. All those are on the Mid State Trail leg of the GET in PA. It may be incomplete at this point but most folks who hike or backpack the GET are not doing a thru hike that would make a complete route more of a requirement. There are many worthy locations to visit on the GET route that can be done as day hikes or short backpack trips.

Yep, this is the Great Eastern Trail sub-forum. See the tree on top of the thread, in case you're entering the thread using the other navigation tools on the site.

To acknowledge the thread swerve, one could argue this GET is more complete than Continental Divide Trail, Ice Age Trail, NC's Mountains-to-Sea Trail (in fact someone with reasons to know points this out: http://www.gethiking.net/2014/05/roa...ern-trail.html ), etc.

Perhaps if there were more recognition of iconic locations, the recognition in turn of this GET might increase.

Missed the sub forum title. Thx kiOeh.

"Completed" was used not just in terms of single track tread but a wider amount of resources.

Actually the CDT has many different acceptable routes so road walking on it can be considerably different in quality and quantity for each hiker.

Good link though for people struggling with negative thoughts about road walks.

Snooper's Rock (Prentice Cooper Section of the Cumberland Trail) is a pretty iconic view of the Tennessee River Gorge.

Images

I would think Gillespie Point on the Mid state trail would be one. That is one heck of a view into Pine Creek Gorge.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Big Schloss and Tibbet Knob in VA

Bluestone Lake (New River), West Virginia

Bluestone Lake, New River, West Virginia.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    *snip*

Perhaps if there were more recognition of iconic locations, the recognition in turn of this GET might increase.
    Okay, I'll bite.

Without a concerted effort on the part of the GETA Board with regard to outreach/media/publicity (among many other things), the GET will continue to not attract the attention it deserves. Sitting back and hoping the trail catches on hasn't worked too well, has it, ki0eh? After all these years, still no "club" that folks can "join," GET website(s) are static and not kept current, component trail organizations aren't working with one another to further the goals of the 2013 GET Concept Plan, etc. The Board meets once a year to trade notes, have a great dinner, take a local hike, and then go home. Is that all there is?

Yes, it's difficult for a "volunteer" board to pay attention to its task, but using that as an ongoing excuse for not doing *anything* means that very, very little gets done from year to year. The Board members aren't the only "volunteers" here: a handful of us (including one Board member) have "volunteered" several months of our lives to hiking this route in its entirety; other "volunteers" have made huge contributions to compiling critical hiker resources and to trying to get the word out.

It's little wonder that those of us (particularly non-Board members) who have put so much time and energy into doing our best to contribute to the "big picture" over the years have eventually lost interest because the Board just doesn't appear to care about what is being offered.

I'll continue to hike the GET because I dearly, dearly love it. I hope to finish my second thru-hike -- in sections this time around -- in spring 2019. I'm about half done at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    Without a concerted effort on the part of the GETA Board with regard to outreach/media/publicity (among many other things), the GET will continue to not attract the attention it deserves. Sitting back and hoping the trail catches on hasn't worked too well, has it, ki0eh? After all these years, still no "club" that folks can "join," GET website(s) are static and not kept current, component trail organizations aren't working with one another to further the goals of the 2013 GET Concept Plan, etc. The Board meets once a year to trade notes, have a great dinner, take a local hike, and then go home. Is that all there is?

Yes, it's difficult for a "volunteer" board to pay attention to its task, but using that as an ongoing excuse for not doing *anything* means that very, very little gets done from year to year. The Board members aren't the only "volunteers" here: a handful of us (including one Board member) have "volunteered" several months of our lives to hiking this route in its entirety; other "volunteers" have made huge contributions to compiling critical hiker resources and to trying to get the word out.

It's little wonder that those of us (particularly non-Board members) who have put so much time and energy into doing our best to contribute to the "big picture" over the years have eventually lost interest because the Board just doesn't appear to care about what is being offered.

I'll continue to hike the GET because I dearly, dearly love it. I hope to finish my second thru-hike -- in sections this time around -- in spring 2019. I'm about half done at this point.
    I can't disagree in an overall sense with the characterization of the activity of the Board, or lack thereof. Individual memberships were authorized two years ago, but have not been implemented - again, relying on a volunteer.

The real news at this year's Board meeting, is that a leadership transition is scheduled for next year. However, I do not know who will assume that mantle. An individual who I hoped would be able to step into that role, instead got cut off from the ability to represent the member group over the past year.
    Without either that individual, or another who is unable to make the meetings at the chosen time of year, present, I believe I might have resumed being the youngest attendee at these things. There has been some progress in the last year around Narrows, and in northwest GA. I'm seeing a bit more evidence of footway now at Cowanesque Lake in northern PA, where we began clearing trail in what was then a total gap in 2002.

It is difficult, though, not to characterize the minor flame as burned down into embers at this point.

AT 2012

...my wife is driving from Connecticut toward Pittsburg, and I am looking for a place for her to drop me off to hike for a few days along the way. I am thinking the Mid State Trail, possibly between around Everett and Lewisburg, to make drop off on the way out and pickup on the way back easy. I am having trouble buying a map/guide, and am looking for good ol' fashioned whiteblaze advice. Not even sure how many miles that section between the big highways is. Got any general or specific suggestions? I am really trolling ki0eh for a response!!!
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...my wife is driving from Connecticut toward Pittsburg, and I am looking for a place for her to drop me off to hike for a few days along the way. I am thinking the Mid State Trail, possibly between around Everett and Lewisburg, to make drop off on the way out and pickup on the way back easy. I am having trouble buying a map/guide, and am looking for good ol' fashioned whiteblaze advice. Not even sure how many miles that section between the big highways is. Got any general or specific suggestions? I am really trolling ki0eh for a response!!!
    I am working my way down the mid state trail and have completed everything north of US22. I have really enjoyed that trail. I tend to either do long day hikes or overnights and have generally down an out of the MST and back on an alternative route. These are usually parallel forest roads and are very cool in the own way. Just another option to consider. I have temporarily delayed my MST until cooler weather. The last section I did, 20 out on the MST then back, I ran into a total of 7 rattlesnakes. While I love them and don't fear them it really took some of the enjoyment away as I had to be very careful where I walked. I like to veg out while I hike and this wasn't possible. I expect the Everett section will be similiar to that section.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I am working my way down the mid state trail and have completed everything north of US22. I have really enjoyed that trail. I tend to either do long day hikes or overnights and have generally down an out of the MST and back on an alternative route. These are usually parallel forest roads and are very cool in the own way. Just another option to consider. I have temporarily delayed my MST until cooler weather. The last section I did, 20 out on the MST then back, I ran into a total of 7 rattlesnakes. While I love them and don't fear them it really took some of the enjoyment away as I had to be very careful where I walked. I like to veg out while I hike and this wasn't possible. I expect the Everett section will be similiar to that section.
    Wow. 7. !!!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Sorry, I was in Slovakia. Here is the distance table from the 13th edition guidebook (might not be mobile friendly):

https://gishikemst.wordpress.com/201...her-blog-post/

I'm guessing by Lewisburg you mean PA Route 45 which would be the north side of Section 10, at Hairy Johns picnic area. Everett is by the south end of Section 3, and if you're getting dropped off there to head north the best place to start would be the corner of PA 26/Raystown Rd and Dew St (see section update http://www.hike-mst.org/index.php/th.../136-section-3 ). This would be about 190 km.

The maps are all available from http://www.hike-mst.org/index.php/guide-and-maps (keep scrolling, especially on mobile, for the order links).
    The guide BOOK is still not back from the printer and being packaged up, though that should be days not weeks away.

The Guthook for MST is probably weeks to months away from coming up, in a new pending set of "Eastern Long Trails".

++ New Posts ++