WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Town of Gorham Seeks 'Appalachian Trail Community' Designation - New Hampshire Public

New Hampshire Public Radio

Town of Gorham Seeks 'Appalachian Trail Community' Designation
    New Hampshire Public Radio
    The Appalachian Trail, which runs from Georgia to Maine, passes through the town of Shelburne, which is east of Gorham. Hikers often leave the trail to pick up mail and shop in Gorham. If the application is approved, Gorham businesses could appear on ...

More...

Reportedly there was a long term goal to relocate the AT out of towns at one point and Gorham was one of them. The AT up into the seventies ran directly through Gorham and left at the other end of town across the railroad trestle. The AMC built the Centennial Trail in the seventies that routed the trail around Gorham. Many local motel and business owners were indifferent in the past to thru hikers as they tended to show up in town during the busy summer tourist season. Its only been in recent years that there has been more appreciation of thru hikers as the number increased. The two local hostels in town have been up and down over the years, The Barn attached to Inn across from the town common seems to be under stable ownership by someone interested in running it. Hikers Paradise is far less stable, the owner has actively been attempting to sell it and money hasn't been invested into the place for years. Given the big demand in town to support the new ATV tourists I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes ATVers Paradise. Given the high traffic count and location I wouldn't be surprised if it gets torn down and replaced with some other ATV related business. The White Mountains Lodge and Hostel in Shelburne is the most active business in the area catering to hikers although the White Birches Campground in Shelburne also has small hostel.

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

It's a small nit to pick, but the relocation away from town happened in the late '50's. The previous route used the current Carter-Moriah Trail over Mt. Surprise to get into town, then followed the Mahoosuc Trail across the railroad bridge leaving north. This was moved to the current Kenduskeag/Rattle River route in the 50's. North of US2, the Centennial Trail moved the AT off the more easterly Peabody Brook Trail, eliminating a road walk and landowner complaints about parking and other activity at Peabody Brook. That was in 1976, the AMC's centennial year, hence the trail name.
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by hiker33 View Post
    It's a small nit to pick, but the relocation away from town happened in the late '50's. The previous route used the current Carter-Moriah Trail over Mt. Surprise to get into town, then followed the Mahoosuc Trail across the railroad bridge leaving north. This was moved to the current Kenduskeag/Rattle River route in the 50's. North of US2, the Centennial Trail moved the AT off the more easterly Peabody Brook Trail, eliminating a road walk and landowner complaints about parking and other activity at Peabody Brook. That was in 1976, the AMC's centennial year, hence the trail name.
    Wow, I guess I need to study up as this route description as it was told to me by a usually reliable source. I don't have many AT guides to NH but the 1952 AMC guide shows the old alignment following the Mahoosuc trail from its start at the railroad trestle and the 1955 guide shows the newer Rattle River Peabody brook trail alignment which was in place until the Centennial trail was built in 1976.

++ New Posts ++