WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Carver's Gap to Grassy Ridge Bald with an infant carrier

Anyone have any thoughts on if Carver's Gap to Grassy Ridge Bald is doable carrying a 30 pound toddler?

I will be passing though the area in few weeks and would like to do 4 or 5 miles.
    He's pretty good in the pack but I''d like him to be able to get down and walk some himself.
    And I'm not trying to kill myself going uphill or down hill. I cant get a good feeling for the steepness of this section. I usually take hiking poles for stability, will that be enough?

thanks all
    TO

Images

its a pretty decent uphill..............

Images

this may help ya............i cant open it as im at work so not sure what it really shows...

https://tnlandforms.us/at/atelev.html

I think you should be able to manage it. The trail is well maintained and graded until the base of grassy ridge and beyond is typical AT hiking. You'll easily get to round/jane bald so you should do it even if that's as far as you make it.

Me and a friend hiked from carver gap to the end of the first offshot (don't know what it is called) with no issues, and my friend has lung issues. I think you would be fine, the majority of the hike is pretty clear and easy.

Images

Well, people walk with 30 pounds of gear etc... No super steep areas, more long ascent/descents...till the blue blaze to the ridge. The rewarding view is worth it...especially mid-June...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Really depends on the mud and weather I think. But I think its doable.

Round Bald is fairly smooth up and over.

Jane Bald requires a couple steps up on a rock steps

Grassy Ridge Trail is a bit through the brush and some rock steps.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Carver's Gap to Grassy Ridge Bald with an infant carrier

I think this hike will be perfect for you. The balds offer lots of room for kids to get out of the carrier and explore. I'm hoping to take my kids there this summer.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

That is a beautiful place, especially the view from the top of grassy ridge. Do the trip and you won't be sorry. There is some fairly stout uphill, but where is there not any on the trail? Worse case, you start out, and you don't make it up on top. No big deal, enjoy the day and the views. Have some lunch, and enjoy your time, it's all good. For something really cool, take a kite to fly on top of grassy ridge. The wind is always blowing. Don't forget a little bit of sunscreen for the kids (and parents).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by to_slide View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on if Carver's Gap to Grassy Ridge Bald is doable carrying a 30 pound toddler?

I will be passing though the area in few weeks and would like to do 4 or 5 miles.
    He's pretty good in the pack but I''d like him to be able to get down and walk some himself.
    And I'm not trying to kill myself going uphill or down hill. I cant get a good feeling for the steepness of this section. I usually take hiking poles for stability, will that be enough?

thanks all
    TO
    You legs will be burning for a little bit but yes totally doable. Beautiful spot you could let him run around a little on Janes Bald on the way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++