WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Whats the SCAR?
    The gsmp

Smokies Challenge Adventure Run

Theres a benchmark for trying to do it under 24 hrs

Fkt is about 14 hrs.

Smokies Challenge Adventure Run

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Also, please educate me on the strava world you speak of...
    I believe he's referring to this tracking Strava site which would provide more information (data) than just a gps track which is what's needed to verify FKTs IMO.

This is the story of Rob Young who got busted for cheating trying to set a FKT on a run across America. His own sponsor (Skins) did the investigation. Read the report if you have time.

With more FKTs being tried on the AT a better way of tracking is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    I believe he's referring to this Strava site which would provide more information (data) than just a gps track which is what's needed to verify FKTs IMO.
    With more FKTs being tried on the AT a better way of tracking is needed.
    Thanks Chair-Man, I've heard of Strava and checked it out before. Never signed up, but understand the basic premise. I don't know if it's really the solution to troubles with FKT documentation. For example, you still just upload gpx from any device (or just a fabricated file) anytime, anywhere once you have an account. What's the difference from doing the same and uploading to any other mapping platform?

I admit that I need more education on this- hence my asking for any input, so thanks. Meanwhile, we're working this season on improving transparency for a self-supported attempt using DIY delayed track map with obscured timestamps. It's still in beta mode, but hopefully it will work okay and allow people to get near-realtime track without giving away too much info on where hiker is exactly.

Definitely still room for improvement in this arena, as we've seen yet again.

Images

Thanks Chair-Man, I've heard of Strava and checked it out before. Never signed up, but understand the basic premise. I don't know if it's really the solution to troubles with FKT documentation. For example, you still just upload gpx from any device (or just a fabricated file) anytime, anywhere once you have an account. What's the difference from doing the same and uploading to any other mapping platform?
    If the activity was uploaded by the Strava iPhone app, then there probably isn't a way to modify the GPX. All activities show what kind of device they were uploaded from. Android is less locked down than iOS and I believe there are apps that can spoof your location, sadly. Of course there would be many challenges running strava on a multi week FKT attempt.

Do you have an iPhone? I made an app that could be used for FKT verification. It uses iPhone GPS and allows you to leave a comment or simply check in at waypoints along the trail, if and only if you are near that waypoint. When you connect to wifi, your comments/check ins are automatically uploaded to your user page. For example, here is my page: http://bighike.net/u/shorts

Ounces are the little-death

By cutting the food weight in half, maybe 48 hours could be possible? Also, please educate me on the strava world you speak of...
    I think 48 will happen when the right person wants it, especially selfsupported. If you were able to hide caches somewhere at Newfound and your turnaround, that would help a lot.
    Even unsupported has a lot of room to grow. I'll pick at that a few more times, probably.
    Strava is a website where people upload runs and you can create segments from point A to point B that are public and everyone can try and have the best time. It's notorious for people creating really inane "records" that don't make any sense.

For example, you still just upload gpx from any device (or just a fabricated file) anytime, anywhere once you have an account. What's the difference from doing the same and uploading to any other mapping platform?
    I see, you would think there would be an app out there that would create a read only gpx file that can't be edited kinda like a pdf file.

Also, while a smart phone can measure cadence (number of steps) they can not measure heart rate easily without a chest strap whereas a gps watch can measure both.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Do you have an iPhone? I made an app that could be used for FKT verification. It uses iPhone GPS and allows you to leave a comment or simply check in at waypoints along the trail, if and only if you are near that waypoint. When you connect to wifi, your comments/check ins are automatically uploaded to your user page. For example, here is my page: http://bighike.net/u/shorts
    Linesman, very cool! I like how you can get AT mileage for pretty much every check-in. I think Peter Bakwin would agree at this point that such automatic feature would come in handy for verification. Also the topo map interface is cool. A couple questions popped for me:

-Judging by the overall AT mileage (2166.4) on bighike.net, these mileages are a few years old, correct?
    -Is there an easy way to export user page in various file format xls, csv, gpx etc. showing coordinates and mileage for each check-in?
    -I have an android phone, perhaps the app could be made to work for other phones...? Not that there are many FKT bids in my near future

You're a lot more techno-savvy than me. The DIY tracking we're testing out with Joey (hopefully to soon be shared publicly) uses an https://ifttt.com/ applet to auto-populate a google spreadsheet from emailed spot check-ins, which then gets read by mapalist.com Afterwards, all documentation (spreadsheet with original timestamps, emails, etc.) can get published for verification. Not as sophisticated perhaps, but maybe more than one way to crack an egg... I love the idea of coming together as community to problem-solve, though!

Perhaps this subject of documentation/tracking should become its own thread in the forum...?

Images

Linesman, very cool! I like how you can get AT mileage for pretty much every check-in. I think Peter Bakwin would agree at this point that such automatic feature would come in handy for verification. Also the topo map interface is cool. A couple questions popped for me:

-Judging by the overall AT mileage (2166.4) on bighike.net, these mileages are a few years old, correct?
    -Is there an easy way to export user page in various file format xls, csv, gpx etc. showing coordinates and mileage for each check-in?
    -I have an android phone, perhaps the app could be made to work for other phones...? Not that there are many FKT bids in my near future

You're a lot more techno-savvy than me. The DIY tracking we're testing out with Joey (hopefully to soon be shared publicly) uses an https://ifttt.com/ applet to auto-populate a google spreadsheet from emailed spot check-ins, which then gets read by mapalist.com Afterwards, all documentation (spreadsheet with original timestamps, emails, etc.) can get published for verification. Not as sophisticated perhaps, but maybe more than one way to crack an egg... I love the idea of coming together as community to problem-solve, though!

Perhaps this subject of documentation/tracking should become its own thread in the forum...?
    Definitely more than one way to skin the cat. I think I understand the system - if the spot emails are sent to an account that the FKT contender cant access, then the system sounds pretty water tight, nice. And its as easy as pushing a button for Joey. Hope he has time to do a little writing or daily videos as well.

Your questions:
    -The mileage discrepancy is a head scratcher for me... i'm using ATC data from last year. Thinking about publishing my GPX in the hopes of crowd sourcing better data.
    -Not currently, but definitely added to my list
    -yes, hopefully this year
    Last edited by Linesman; 08-12-2017 at 12:45.

Thank you muddywaters and cknfngrs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++