WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    It wasn't for that woman last year. Couple of strategic hitches and back on track. Sorry to hear about the pack. FKTErs sure have bad luck, stolen packs, assaults and shoe theft.
    Not to mention being assaulted and beaten up

Seems its only unsuccessful ones though....

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    It wasn't for that woman last year. Couple of strategic hitches and back on track. Sorry to hear about the pack. FKTErs sure have bad luck, stolen packs, assaults and shoe theft.
    His FB post was ridiculous. He doesn't mention his FKT attempt and then pulls out some 90 day agenda nonsense as his actual goal.

So, it was an FKT for about 24 hours. Then it was a 90 day thing for about 3 days. Then it just wasn't any fun. Then his pack got stolen.

Dude needs transparency about any/all money he took. Especially because he was either delusional or insincere about either an FKT or a 90day'er. He claims he was on pace to finish in under 90 days when he quit/stolen pack. Nonsense.

I want to see Matt Lipsey try an FKT...

My natural skepticism meter is at Maximum re: "Stolen pack." I do hope that I'm wrong.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    My natural skepticism meter is at Maximum re: "Stolen pack." I do hope that I'm wrong.
    Wayne
    It's very rare for a pack to be stolen, especially at a place like the NOC. Plus the NOC switched to electronic locks a few years ago, so you need to have a room key to get into the wash room. Therefore, one would either leave their pack in the room or bring it into the wash room with you.

He probably threw the pack into the river in frustration
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's very rare for a pack to be stolen, especially at a place like the NOC. Plus the NOC switched to electronic locks a few years ago, so you need to have a room key to get into the wash room. Therefore, one would either leave their pack in the room or bring it into the wash room with you.

He probably threw the pack into the river in frustration
    Your theories are much kinder than mine.
    I hope that the NOC doesn't get bad mouthed over this.
    Sounds like Operator Error to me.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Not everywhere. The bathroom attached to the general store was open with no restriction. It still sounds fishy. There's still plenty of hikers around who would've watched his pack for 5 minutes.

I think I could make a nice living betting against these wanna-be FKT'ers and their unbridled enthusiasm and confidence pre hike.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I think I could make a nice living betting against these wanna-be FKT'ers and their unbridled enthusiasm and confidence pre hike.
    the bookies know there's no money in it maybe that could lay a spread to even things up a bit I'd go for some 5-1

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Excuses, excuses...
    Never did a single day of record pace, but it wasnt a problem...

Of course its not fun its hard
    +1

I think this is one of the things I love most about the AT and what gives it a certain mystique and respect. No matter how good a shape you are in and how much expensive gear you buy, there is no guide that will do the work to get you end to end; YOU have to do the work and keep hitting the trail day after day. Even with a group, it is an individual challenge to be met. With the proper attitude the AT will always be fun and amazing, but it will also always be hard. (until a few million years from now when the mountains finally erode all the way down)

The last couple of people mentioned here who were trying to do a FKT thru didn't make it a week. No disrespect intended, but I hope the next person to attempt this has a stronger resume to make following them more worthwhile, and not just a flash in the pan FKT Section-Hike.

Col. Hannibal Smith
    "I love it when a plan comes together!"

It's all relative. It almost feels like you shouldn't have to announce it until day 7, so it's worth watching or not.

My UL kit is worth about $1200 or more, it weighs 5-15 pounds depending on how much food and water is in it, and it is small and light enough to hang on a hook in a bathroom stall or to just leave on if I'm peeing. I would NEVER leave it unattended anywhere.

I can't understand why one would leave his UL pack unattended outside of a bathroom. There's really no reason to.

Crazyknotts.com is yet another and actually hauling right now

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Crazyknotts.com is yet another and actually hauling right now
    Not to start another mess- but says he hitched on FKT Proboards.
    But seems Peter and Doyle are still willing to discuss "Thru hiker style" so we'll leave it at that.

Looked like this guy is going traditional with the Old Ward Leonard training plan... so quite a pile of trails he's racked up regardless of how this turns out.

Stay tuned to see if Hammer nails it!

Journal Entries

Theres someone on the fkt proboard wanting to set a fkt on NY AT trail....all 90 miles.
    ..saying there is none. Such is what happens when fkt meets mainstream ....

Lets have an fkt for every state. ......
    Or why not every section between roads....
    Some people just got to try to get attention
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-23-2017 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres someone on the fkt proboard wanting to set a fkt on NY AT trail....all 90 miles.
    ..saying there is none. Such is what happens when fkt meets mainstream ....

Lets have an fkt for every state. ......
    Or why not every section between roads....
    Some people just got to try to get attention
    That's common practice in the FKT community from the ultra side.
    Kinda the basic goal of that board- to document efforts outside the official race setting. You need a point a and a point b and state lines or road crossings are pretty clear points to pick.

The PCT has had state records and a midpoint record for some time. (Joey holds two of those).

The AT has had the SCAR and the four state challenge for some time.
    Not too familiar with the routes in the whites exactly but those traverses involve the AT in some way.

Looked like the fella picked a pretty solid effort- a 90 mile Ultra with a clean start and finish that anyone can come along and repeat. So totally clean in my book.
    If nothing else... would you rather see a single ultra runner shuffling by or a formal race?

Matt Kirk is the current holder of a "most miles on the AT in 24 hour" FKT that Horton originated... looked like this fella was hoping to tack on that attempt if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Stay tuned to see if Hammer nails it!
    Who? And when.

I re-read that comment on the FKT pro board. Looks like he was talking in the future tense about Salisbury?

Koltin Hammere, the guy who claimed intentions on proboard and then didn't quite follow thru

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Matt Kirk is the current holder of a "most miles on the AT in 24 hour" FKT that Horton originated... looked like this fella was hoping to tack on that attempt if possible.
    Matt K. Did it in shenandoah, right?
    Just a byproduct of a shenandoah run

Cant break it in NY...just set something totally different, arbitrary, and meaningless

Some other .....runner....will pick the easiest 100 miles of trail to make a name for themselves

There no shortage of ultra runners that can put in 100 mi in under 24 hrs. Some finish the hardrock under 24.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-23-2017 at 15:58.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++