WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tuscarora Trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, the TT was crowded last Sunday, north and south.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
    First post. I'm a hiking noob; sort of fancied backpacking for quite a few years, but never took the leap until now at age 67. I want to do it as more of an access to isolated camping than striding for striding's sake.

That being said, I hiked the TT just this Sunday, 9.5 miles from Rt 74 to 34 in PA. Initial 1/4-1/2 mile was a rock scramble, very slow. Not bad after that, but still a fairly aerobic workout. Blazes were pretty good overall, though about a half-dozen times it took some casting around to locate the trail. Some blazes were missing because the tree had fallen; some were just hard to see because of the new spring growth. Definitely time for some trail maintenance by the great volunteers.

An old knee injury resurfaced 8 miles in, and I hobbled the last 1.5 miles like Chester on Gunsmoke. Just a bit too much too soon. But it was a fun hike with great views of the Cumberland Valley. Worth it.
    That's the section where I did 0.6 MPH, I was faster nearer the beginning, 1.4 MPH. You probably did better because you went the other direction over the rocks. I admire you if this was a newbie hike. And, .
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

I was trying to figure out where I left off the TT. I did a day hike out of the AT work center, up the AT to the start of the TT. I recall at least two major road crossings until I hit a small park where there was a bunch of folks bird watching for raptors. i took that road down the mountain and made my way back to start. Anyone have any idea what road that was. I remember it being very rocky right before that road.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    That's the section where I did 0.6 MPH, I was faster nearer the beginning, 1.4 MPH. You probably did better because you went the other direction over the rocks. I admire you if this was a newbie hike. And, .
    No doubt about it, hitting the rocks while still fresh made them much easier. But what finished my knee was the descent straight down 1/2 mile of powerline. I think I'd have done better going the other direction. Wouldn't have burnt out the brake pads so quickly.

I have no experience with judging MPH over various sections, but the whole thing took 5.5 hrs, and that works out to about 1.7 average. Would have been closer to 2 if I hadn't come up lame. I'm satisfied with that for now.
    Thanks for the welcome!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I was trying to figure out where I left off the TT. I did a day hike out of the AT work center, up the AT to the start of the TT. I recall at least two major road crossings until I hit a small park where there was a bunch of folks bird watching for raptors. i took that road down the mountain and made my way back to start. Anyone have any idea what road that was. I remember it being very rocky right before that road.

You've described a route up the AT from PA 944 (AT tunnel under road) to the TT, on the TT across PA 34 and PA 74 (radio towers) and down PA 74 to PA 944. The park (before PA 74) is Florence Jones Reineman Wildlife Sanctuary (part of Dickenson University), also the location of your No Trespassing signs.

Not that I remember it, I'm actually looking at the maps trying to plan out my next section. Anybody have any help with water up on the ridge after Fowler Hollow and Hemlock Road?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

No doubt about it, hitting the rocks while still fresh made them much easier. But what finished my knee was the descent straight down 1/2 mile of powerline. I think I'd have done better going the other direction. Wouldn't have burnt out the brake pads so quickly.

I have no experience with judging MPH over various sections, but the whole thing took 5.5 hrs, and that works out to about 1.7 average. Would have been closer to 2 if I hadn't come up lame. I'm satisfied with that for now.
    Thanks for the welcome!

The power line was the "steep and steeper" comment in my trail notes. Looking at the guide I also wrote "needs escalator".

My first camp was planned to be outside of the state game lands. I lost the sun and may have still been inside them.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

You've described a route up the AT from PA 944 (AT tunnel under road) to the TT, on the TT across PA 34 and PA 74 (radio towers) and down PA 74 to PA 944. The park (before PA 74) is Florence Jones Reineman Wildlife Sanctuary (part of Dickenson University), also the location of your No Trespassing signs.

Not that I remember it, I'm actually looking at the maps trying to plan out my next section. Anybody have any help with water up on the ridge after Fowler Hollow and Hemlock Road?
    Thanks, I was racking my rapidly diminishing brain trying to remember the route. Heading up north to hike a bit of the mid states trail south out of Blackwell to Little Pine Creek SP. should help restore the brain a bit.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Default Barclays Shelter

Went out on a short section hike of the Tuscarora when we were able secure a babysitter (rare occurrence). Started along route 50 in Gore Va. The parking was a nightmare, had to pull into a lot that was for sale and hope that no one was tow happy.. the beginning of the trail was overgrown, unmarked and nearly impossible to find. It runs along a creek bed and abruptly cuts into a field ( private property) then cuts across the creek before you start to see consistent blazes. The creek was a good three feet deep in spots and we did a lot of stumbling before seeing the blaze. Once on the trail though it was a simple hike to a beautiful shelter. The shelter was approx 3 miles from the road and was wonderfully maintained. I have yet to encounter a shelter on the TT that wasn't top notch. Keep kicking it to pinnacle shelter if you have time( we ran out ) another 6 miles from Barclay Shelter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries
    Images

Google it and there is plenty of info. The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club has guide books and maps.

I started at the north end in PA in August 2015, intending to stay out for nine days, 99 miles and make it to Maryland, 8.6-13.1 MPD. It was too ambitious for me at the time and I had too much pack weight. After three days I was a day behind my plan and only made 25.3 miles in four days. The second day I only made 5.9 miles, 0.6 MPH for a while over the rocks and hills. The TT thoroughly kicked my ass. YMMV.

My trail notes have comments like "steep and steeper", "very rocky", "rocks suck, like constantly walking on riprap, sprained ankle/broken leg threat constantly". It led me to take a NOLS Wilderness First Aid class. Also, realized that it may not be smart to solo hike some places.

I only saw two other hikers in the four days that I was on the trail. Water can be scarce up on the ridge lines, I filtered and treated out of a road puddle - leading to my rule: "Don't pass up current water for future water." The Irvine shelter was new at the time and was a very welcome sight. It has a front and side porch (with picnic table) and a good view over the Cumberland Valley. The caretaker had it stocked with gallon bottles of water; it also has two rain barrels and there must have been 30 gallons of water in them, which was very much needed. Good privy.

I used the AT from the PA 944 underpass to the Darlington Shelter as an approach trail, so I completed another 2 miles of the AT also.

Does anyone want to join me and continue south from COL Denning State Park this summer?

It's now late summer, 3 September 2017, and I'm thinking about another section for Columbus Day weekend. Friday to Monday, from COL Denning SP south to PA 641. Not big miles, only 26.5 miles, 6-7 mile days.

Anybody interested?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Tough section, but good for solitude. I've hiked most of it save for Knob Mtn. You got plenty of steep up/down hills. Tells us about 641 parking; I need to do a couple of day hikes or shuttles based around there.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

It's now late summer, 3 September 2017, and I'm thinking about another section for Columbus Day weekend. Friday to Monday, from COL Denning SP south to PA 641. Not big miles, only 26.5 miles, 6-7 mile days.
    I might if you were going this month. That's archery season, and I'll be busy looking for Bambi then.

Journal Entries
    Images

I might if you were going this month. That's archery season, and I'll be busy looking for Bambi then.
    That reminds me to put the orange vest on Pack and wear my orange neckerchief.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AegisIII View Post
    Tough section, but good for solitude. I've hiked most of it save for Knob Mtn. You got plenty of steep up/down hills. Tells us about 641 parking; I need to do a couple of day hikes or shuttles based around there.
    I know that water is scarce on the ridges and am prepared to carry, I'm trying to lose pack weight elsewhere. Any wisdom on water sources?

I'm planning on tenting near the Fowlers hollow shelter and near the trail registers noted on the map and guide. Any wisdom about locations?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Anybody interested?
    Tuscarora Trail. I'm bumping this again looking for anyone interested. Don't make me do this solo.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Tuscarora Trail. I'm bumping this again looking for anyone interested. Don't make me do this solo.
    Did you ever get around to it RangerZ? If you still haven't, two years later, send me a message. Not sure I can do much more than a day hike in the rest of 2018 but I'm very local to the northern part of this trail (Carlisle) and have done bits and pieces. A friend and I did the northernmost 35 miles or so of it in WV in June and I'd like to get all of it in someday.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOTN View Post
    Did you ever get around to it RangerZ? If you still haven't, two years later, send me a message. Not sure I can do much more than a day hike in the rest of 2018 but I'm very local to the northern part of this trail (Carlisle) and have done bits and pieces. A friend and I did the northernmost 35 miles or so of it in WV in June and I'd like to get all of it in someday.
    I shifted my focus to the AT and completed 1041.2 miles from GA into MD. Injured my knee and got off in July. I'm planning an October return to get into PA and halfway, then finish next year.

I've touched both ends of the TT in PA and VA. I'm loosely thinking of sometime returning to the TT in PA and section hike south into MD, then later section hike north from VA to MD. The AT may put me off of truly long distance hiking.

I might be interested in a 2019 spring section south from COL Denning SP. I've almost forgotten how much that I did not like the TT.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

It's rough up here at the northern end of it, that's for sure. Rock hopping along ridges and making about a mile an hour does get old. If you ever get a chance to do the area around Sleepy Creek (Sections 12 and 13), it was a totally different beast - a real pretty trail that was relatively well-maintained, considering that we hiked it in about 72 hours of constant downpour. We did lose it at one point (which I think is par for the blue blazes) but yeah - the areas of it I've hiked locally have all been just jumping from rock to rock and wondering where the blazes were.

I have a clear memory of hiking up to Flat Rock in Colonel Denning - a beautiful overlook hike, well trafficked, that happens to be on the TT - and then standing there for twenty minutes trying to figure out where exactly the TT got to after that.

love the rocks seems like a nice thru

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++