Default Ropes for river crossing?

Rivers will be running high this year. Is is feasible to take a rope or webbing to assist crossing? How wide are the crossings?

Thanks,

Al

Arent you going to need to cross the river again to retrieve the rope?

I don't see how. The rope really has to be fixed on both ends to be useful. I don't see how that would work as an individual. Maybe as part of a group. First person across carries the end of the rope and secures it, goes back for their pack, then the others cross and the last one unties the rope and brings it across.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Other ways to approach crossing streams. For example, fording in early morning before it gets too warm streams have lower flow volumes.

Yes, you can get the rope back. Light technical climbing(roping up, rappelling etc) techniques show how. Sometimes two ropes are used, one longer rope is used, and sometimes the last one across is tied up on the tag end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Other ways to approach crossing streams. For example, fording in early morning before it gets too warm streams have lower flow volumes.

Yes, you can get the rope back. Light technical climbing(roping up, rappelling etc) techniques show how. Sometimes two ropes are used, one longer rope is used, and sometimes the last one across is tied up on the tag end.
    What does that take? 70 meters of rope? Kinda heavy.

Be aware that ropes used for crossings have drowned hikers when rigged wrong. https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article...ng/2010/08/31/

Set up properly ropes are a great safety aid. I'm kind of surprised that ropes aren't set up for the season at the most marginal PCT crossings.

Images

There are better ways to manage the crossings, timing, technique and scouting.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Could be forgetting all the possible hairiest PCT fords but the one that comes to mind for the earliest PCTers in high snow melt conditions in the early morning is Evolution Creek. But that too can be better(easier) forded in shallower water upstream of the main crossing where the bottom isn't as dished out. Refreshing taking a dip here in the slack water. There's a log crossing I've found upstream and also a large boulder narrower but still big leap too. Not making the leap would get one utterly drenched and involve a 3 ft fall into the creek though.

I would not carry a rope for fords unless I was in in a party on an expedition like remote trek.

Images

Could be forgetting all the possible hairiest PCT fords but the one that comes to mind for the earliest PCTers in high snow melt conditions in the early morning is Evolution Creek. But that too can be better(easier) forded in shallower water upstream of the main crossing where the bottom isn't as dished out. Refreshing taking a dip here in the slack water. There's a log crossing I've found upstream and also a large boulder narrower but still big leap too. Not making the leap would get one utterly drenched and involve a 3 ft fall into the creek though.

I would not carry a rope for fords unless I was in in a party on an expedition like remote trek.
    The toughest in 2011 not really in order.
    1) Evolution, crossed upstream, belly button high and a long crossing in slow moving water,
    2) Bear Creek, . Fast waist deep but short.
    3) North Yosemite. Return creek and several others. Almost waist deep, fast but short.
    4) North Yosemite. Piute Creek. The crappiest of the trip, long swamp like and belly button deep. Nice to see ice chunk floating by as you try not tripping over trees. Also was tough seeing where the trail went
    5) Wright, Wallace, Tyndall, South Fork Kings all short, thigh deep

1) Evolution, crossed upstream, belly button high and a long crossing in slow moving water,

It's deeper and wider here where the PCT is because that's where stock crosses too. Several upstream crossings are not as deep or as wide.

Images

It's deeper and wider here where the PCT is because that's where stock crosses too. Several upstream crossings are not as deep or as wide.
    There was a lot of water in that valley. Check out this picture of Evolution "Meadow"
    359.JPG
    Also, here is a timely blog post from Swami.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/2015/03...-ford-a-river/

Hell yeah. Where the PCT crosses Evolution Cr is where the stock also cross which scoops it out making it deeper. It is largely a sandy bottom though. Shortly downstream of the crossing is a waterfall I'd not want to be swept over! Upstream a bit of the main crossing before getting to that wide open meadow which does flood and is wider as you've depicted there are narrower but brushier bank crossings. It's easy to follow upstream looking for a possibly shallower ford as many have done. Jumping across onto large boulders with a pack on is not something advisable. I'm pretty sure Cam "Swami" was not fording during typical PCT NOBOer time frames as he definitely tends to push the envelope.

Tying into the rope on a stream crossing is a very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't see how. The rope really has to be fixed on both ends to be useful. I don't see how that would work as an individual. Maybe as part of a group. First person across carries the end of the rope and secures it, goes back for their pack, then the others cross and the last one unties the rope and brings it across.
    How does the first person get across?

I agree with the overall consensus that this is not practical. If you have a large group it might be feasible to work by having the strongest member go across with a rope. Even that is a problem.

It is best just to use common sense, find the best spot to cross, unbuckle, keep your shoes on, use your poles, face upstream, and start. It is possible that you will come to a river that you cannot cross. Wait 24 hours and if it does not change turn around.

Happy hiking

++ New Posts ++