WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

yes I do have a shuttle scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    I believe Devils kitchen is the Justice creek campsites. Guthook shows 8 tent sites about 1.5 milies before reaching Gooch Mountain Shelter
    That is correct. In retrospect, we should have stayed there instead pushing on to Gooch, which was filled beyond capacity on a Sat night. But my partner said no way was he going to camp in a placed called the Devil's Kitchen

Hawk, Justice Creek, Lance Creek, Neel Gap is also a good way to split it up. Once at Lance Creek, getting to Neel Gap isn't much of a day. You'd be there by noon easy.

But since you have an extra day this way, you could take your time going over Blood (assuming it's a nice day, you could hang out there for a few hours enjoying the view) and then spend the night in the hostel in Neel Gap. Then get your shuttle early in the morning and be fresh for the long drive home. This also avoids doing a dry camp.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

so, there are tent sites on top of Sassafras?

so, there are tent sites on top of Sassafras?
    There are tent sites all over, but few of them have water or a place to poop, which makes them less then desirable. A lot of them are also exposed, also making them less then desirable during stormy weather and you never know when a thunderstorm is going to blow in. Which is why I prefer designated/developed sites - they are where they are for a reason.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

From what I remember, there was a really nice campsite on the top of Sassafras. No shelter/privy/etc but it had a nice cleared out flat spot on the right side off the trail. Plenty of tent sites and logs setup for sitting and such.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

That should be pretty doable if in reasonable shape. Springer-Hawk, Hawk-Gooch, Gooch-Blood Mountain, Blood-Neels (1.5 hours, down hill but so steep that it is slow).

I have a friend that just did Springer to Neels leaving Springer at 9:30AM on day 1 and rolled into Neels at 3PM the next day.

how far is sassafras from Hawk?
    Sassafras is about 3.2 miles after Hawk Shelter.

Devils Kitchen was the name of the area at Justus Creek before the trail reroute. It is within 1/4 mile of Cooper Gap Road (fs42) and received heavy use from walk in campers. At one point it was heavily used by the rangers and there were pits, barbed wire, truck chassis and all kinds of ammo casings. The area down by Justus Creek got beaten down a lot and would be a mud hole in a heavy rain.

The trail crossing over the creek moved downstream and the tent sites were established with the trail moving to the other side of the hill on the way to Gooch shelter. Which also moved. It used to be within 1/4 mile of the road at Gooch Gap. This area has had heavy use because of FS 42 and the Ranger Camp over the years and I find it interesting how the ATC has responded.

Zman, it sounds like you've got this worked out pretty well. I think it's a good idea to put the heavy mileage on the first day then you can enjoy yourself. I hope you have clear weather for sunrise on top of Blood. There is nothing like that time when everything is purple right before the Sun touches the edge of the horizon. Safe travels.

Thank you my friend. I wanted to camp on top of blood mountain so I could see the stars at night in the sunrise in the morning. Weather permitting of course

If I camp on top of sassafras, is it practical to hang my backpack from a tree in case of bears?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Since you have 3 1/2 days, I'd go shelter to shelter. Hawk Mt 1st night, Gooch 2nd night, Woods Hole 3nd night.
    Exactly what I did in '03 as a novice hiker. Had a great time, downright leisurely.

I wanted to camp on top of blood mountain so I could see the stars at night in the sunrise in the morning.
    Have you considered getting up early to hike up Blood Mountain before sunrise?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Leonidas

If I camp on top of sassafras, is it practical to hang my backpack from a tree in case of bears?
    There were trees all over at the campsite there. Should be no issue finding a good place to hang unless the recent wind/weather has took out a ton of the trees.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I just did top of Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap in 3.5 days last September as a 1st-time hiker. I did Amicalola to Three Forks (13.1), then Three Forks to Gooch Mtn Shelter (13), Gooch Mtn to Woods Hole Shelter (13.2) and then to Neels by lunch the last day. I think it's going to be very do-able to get from Springer to Neels in your time frame, even as a novice. Sounds like you've already seen Long Creek falls, but if I get back to this stretch again I would try to figure out a way to camp at the Falls on the way.

I went in the middle of a drought, but still managed to find water. Managing water was the worst between Hawk Mtn Shelter and Justus Creek. There was a water tank at Cooper Gap in between Sassafrass and Justus. I had heard about Sassafrass Mtn being horrendous, (it wasn't easy) but I actually found Justus Mountain right after to be more tiring.

Woods Hole Shelter was nice, but its water source was dry, so I lugged four liters of water up from Lance Creek at the end of day 3.

I did not find Blood Mountain difficult at all, I think because I stayed the night at Woods Hole, halfway up, and I was excited to see the top of Blood Mountain and get my own pictures of the place.

Your time frame is doable! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    One more thing, I just assumed you have your shuttle set up? Are you spending Sunday night at the Springer parking lot in order to get the 6:30 start? Just curious since it is about a 90 minute drive one way to Neels gap.
    I have a shuttles lined up. Thank you

What are you going to do with all your down time? I looked back at my notes from 3 years ago when I did that section. I had exactly 1 overnight experience hiking prior to that so I was pretty much a newbie. I went from Springer to Gooch on day one and Gooch to Baggs creek gap on day two. I hit Neels mid afternoon on the second day and it was too early to stop.

Now I am not super hiker dude or anything but I had done enough reading and research to not carry anything too absurd. I also have a desk job but keep myself in good enough shape that I can jog/run for an hour without being particularly tired after. I would think your itinerary should leave you plenty of down time.

Dreamweaver21 makes an excellent point. It's 8:00 pm CDT. There is enough daylight to read the newspaper on my deck under a thick forest canopy. At 6am tomorrow I can also read on the deck.
    14 hours of daylight. This expedition covers what? 20-30 miles?
    Perhaps you will get a late start and finish early at Neels for transportation needs?
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver21 View Post
    What are you going to do with all your down time? I looked back at my notes from 3 years ago when I did that section. I had exactly 1 overnight experience hiking prior to that so I was pretty much a newbie. I went from Springer to Gooch on day one and Gooch to Baggs creek gap on day two. I hit Neels mid afternoon on the second day and it was too early to stop.

Now I am not super hiker dude or anything but I had done enough reading and research to not carry anything too absurd. I also have a desk job but keep myself in good enough shape that I can jog/run for an hour without being particularly tired after. I would think your itinerary should leave you plenty of down time.
    I actually purchased a paperback book. It is called, Lost on the Appalachian Trail. LOL. It is a novel about a man and his dog walking the entire Appalachian Trail. I thought that would give me something to do in my spare time

Find the recent review of that book here at WhiteBlaze.
    Perhaps you can exchange it for a more entertaining title?
    Enjoy.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by glenlawson View Post
    Sassafras is about 3.2 miles after Hawk Shelter.

Devils Kitchen was the name of the area at Justus Creek before the trail reroute. It is within 1/4 mile of Cooper Gap Road (fs42) and received heavy use from walk in campers. At one point it was heavily used by the rangers and there were pits, barbed wire, truck chassis and all kinds of ammo casings. The area down by Justus Creek got beaten down a lot and would be a mud hole in a heavy rain.

The trail crossing over the creek moved downstream and the tent sites were established with the trail moving to the other side of the hill on the way to Gooch shelter. Which also moved. It used to be within 1/4 mile of the road at Gooch Gap. This area has had heavy use because of FS 42 and the Ranger Camp over the years and I find it interesting how the ATC has responded.

Zman, it sounds like you've got this worked out pretty well. I think it's a good idea to put the heavy mileage on the first day then you can enjoy yourself. I hope you have clear weather for sunrise on top of Blood. There is nothing like that time when everything is purple right before the Sun touches the edge of the horizon. Safe travels.
    thanks for your input. My biggest goal was to see the view on top of Blood Mountain. Unfortunately, it look like rain this coming Sunday. Bummer

I'll be trying this section in a couple of weeks. Hope you have a great hike Zman!

By the way, who are you using for shuttle service?

Journal Entries

I did Springer to Neels Gap last summer started at Springer June 27th at around 4 made it to Neels Gap June 29th around noon. Definitely doable if you are in good shape be safe, and have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++