WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I've been using my Lekis for years, and I have to admit, I was relieved to watch the videos and learn that I had been using them correctly.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I don't use wrist straps for 3 season...

I'm in good company.

Yeah, especially when you need to keep your other hand free for carrying stuff.

...The correct answer is: Know and understand all the options, experiment for yourself, and figure out what works for you.
    Personally, I do it wrong on purpose. I go in through the top as it allows height adjustment on the fly. Like the guy in this video, about the 9:50 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jH9e4QGUP4

You know, some people just don't fall very well. So for some, the safety of the proper method might be a good best practice. Doing it "right" is really somebody else's decision based on their criteria (even if its good criteria). Doing what's right for you is always better, but do yourself a favor and find out why the straps are there in the first place. And learn from discussions like this one and why the preponderance of hikers do use the straps. Cutting off straps on a nice pair of poles? Yikes! Carrying poles? Yikes!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Well according to PacerPoles (and ardent PP aficionados) we're all doing it wrong. So there's that.

I personally am not familiar with the constant stumbling and falling that many report. Did 31 miles the last couple of days and slipped 1 time in mud and caught myself.

I make my own poles and don't put the straps on in the first place so there's nothing to cut. And I carry them in one hand on the flats.

I can honestly say I have nothing to learn at this point. My preferences have been carefully developed and refined and I couldn't care less what "the herd" thinks.

"Well according to PacerPoles (and ardent PP aficionados) we're all doing it wrong. So there's that."

That is because the PP handles are of a very different design.
    PP handles.jpg
    note that they are designed to keep the wrist straight , something that you can't do with the standard handles if you wrap the hand around them but you can using the straps as suggested in this thread and by pole manufacturers.
    (sorry about the bold , I could not get rid of it...)

This would be a personal choice, as others have noted.

I like to balance out between using the poles with a grip or using them by pushing down with my wrists...

Yes, I know the PP handles are different.

I use the grips that GG use on their LightTrek poles and I make a little 'shelf' (by removing a bit of material with a little Dremel drum sander) for the index finger which has the effect of reducing the circumference of the pole, thereby letting the thumb 'lock down' the index finger. What this means is that I don't need my hand fully wrapped around in a death grip... which results (for me) in a relaxed hand position that causes none of the problems that PP is alleged to cure.

Therefore I have never suffered wrist or hand fatigue and don't foresee enough benefits to justify carrying poles that weigh more than twice as much — 508g/pair (PP's lightest) compared to my MYOG poles at 243g/pair.

Not only do I use straps, but one broke so I repaired the fowl that held it in place. I don't always use the straps, sometimes I find them a pain in the arse, but in an area where loosing an unretreavable pole would really tick me off (i.e. like down a rock crack over over a cliff) I use em, also when I feel fatigued or hands are schwetty I find they help a lot.

Indecently...I don't recall ever putting a strap around my wrist, just four fingers in.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Indecently...I don't recall ever putting a strap around my wrist, just four fingers in.
    Then you're doing it INCORRECTLY!!!

According to "experts"

Default Who actually uses trekking pole wrist straps???

Anybody use cross country poles for hiking? Do you like that style of grip? And why?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Interesting question and of course every answer is steeped in personal preference with only a sprinkling of scientific data.

I hated poles until I tried them.. now I always have them with me. On flat terrain I often shoulder them or carry two in one hand, unless I am really steaming along in which case they absolutely help me move faster. Same for water crossings.. unstrapped.

I would say I use the straps 90% of the time. The BD Distance Z poles have a nice thin material, broad strap. I've never had a problem with the straps. I do think that getting them properly adjusted makes a huge difference.

Images

Then you're doing it INCORRECTLY!!!

According to "experts"
    yes, the experts who actually designed and sold the product.

imagine this conversation-

guy who designed leki polls- "here, i got this great new product for you. let me show you how it works."
    hiker- "no no no i dont like that, you're doing it wrong. i'm gonna do it my way. its better."

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    yes, the experts who actually designed and sold the product.

imagine this conversation-

guy who designed leki polls- "here, i got this great new product for you. let me show you how it works."
    hiker- "no no no i dont like that, you're doing it wrong. i'm gonna do it my way. its better."
    Hey, nice job setting up and knocking down your own straw man there!

"hiker" (I guess that'd be me) NEVER said they (nor ANYONE ELSE) are doing it wrong, and NEVER said my way is better. I did say it's better FOR ME.

The only thing I said was KNOW and UNDERSTAND all the options, and EXPERIMENT and see what works best FOR YOU.

Clearly, you choose to stick with "conventional wisdom" and that strategy seems to work for you. Great!

Images

Clearly, you choose to stick with "conventional wisdom" and that strategy seems to work for you. Great!
    nope, im actually rather unconventional, but that doesnt extend to my deciding that something works better (even FOR ME) when i use it in a way that the designers of it didnt intend.

Silly puddy and WD-40

The engineers should've checked with me first, I could've told em "metatarsal management strap" was a much better descriptive term than 'wrist strap"...I suppose the marketeers found it a bit clumsy though, big money wins again!

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    nope, im actually rather unconventional, but that doesnt extend to my deciding that something works better (even FOR ME) when i use it in a way that the designers of it didnt intend.
    Well despite your rather strident objections, I'll continue making and using my own poles as I please, experimenting as I please with various grip modifications.

Innovation does not come from people with your mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    The engineers should've checked with me first, I could've told em "metatarsal management strap" was a much better descriptive term than 'wrist strap"...I suppose the marketeers found it a bit clumsy though, big money wins again!
    That would be problematic since metatarsals are in your feet.

That would be problematic since metatarsals are in your feet.
    im ibedextrose

Innovation does not come from people with your mindset.
    exactly! We all might still be clunckin' along with square wheels were that the case.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++