WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Major trailwork

What I like about the smaller saws is, well, how small they are.
    A habit I've developed with the little Corona one is keeping it behind a water bottle in one of the side mesh pockets of my Exos. That way, I can just reach back, push the water bottle up and slide the saw out. I also do the same kind of thing with a BeFree filter and power bank for charging my phone at different times.
    Since starting that, I'm a lot more likely to get the saw out than I would be if I had to drop my pack to get at it.
    Now I stop for a minute to make a couple of cuts in places I'd previously have gone around or pushed through something. It usually doesn't take much to make things better, as just cutting a few limbs off a downed tree can leave it a lot easier to get by.
    I hike in some places that receive little maintenance, so picking up trash and occasionally clearing some trail seems like an appropriate way to show appreciation for having free access to them.

As I hike with my pack I keep my Corona folding saw inside my t-shirt next to my chest for quick access---and it's always inside a long bread bag to avoid exposed teeth. It stays below the sternum strap too and the hipbelt keeps it from dropping out. This way I can saw with the pack still on (it sucks tho cuz my pack is heavy)---or use the blowdown for a good excuse to dump the pack and take a mini reststop---workstop.

Images

The Opinel pruning saw was mentioned by another poster earlier. It's what I've used for the last 6 years. Compact and light, while still being a "real" saw.

opinel.saw.jpg

DSC04759.jpg

Which Corona folding saw hits the Sweet Spot for backpacking?
    A Google search returns a lot of saws.
    Thanks for any help!
    Wayne

Don't know about sweet spot, but the little one I have that's 6.3oz is the "Corona Professional RS 7041":
    https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/rs-7...-saw-7-in.html

The site shows full retail, but they're $21.99 on Amazon, and was about the same at a local hardware store when I bought mine.

Owen,
    Thank you.
    I will hit Tractor Supply, etc. and hopefully find one!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    When new the Corona cuts thru wood like butter but after hard use the Kerf is lost and the blade must be replaced. Due to heavy cutting I have to get a new Corona 10 inch saw every year.
    Mine is probably well past the point of needing replacement, though it is still getting the job done after what I think of as a tremendous amount of use(it's seen a lot of use cutting down and sectioning trees on my lot at home, too).
    It was frustratingly slow, and kept binding and sticking on its most recent use, which was a series of small jobs like this, and made me tbink of tbis post.
    20220428_112731.jpg
    Time for a new blade...

Quote Originally Posted by StillMoving View Post
    I have a Silky that I can't find...think the blade is about 10-12". Great saw and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them.
    Frustrated, I just bought this one for $20.00 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-P...1002/204667606
    Seems to work as good as the Silky...not sure how long it'll last but it seems pretty stout.
    It appears they last about 6 years.

Was using it in April 2023 and noticed cracks on both sides of the handle around the bolt.

I seriously got my mileage out of it and bought another one. They don't seem to carry them in the store now...had to order it. Maybe they're selling existing stock and will quit carrying it. Used it for the first time today.

Never did find that Silky.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++