WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Another Delorme InReach/Earthmate question

To those who use their InReach paired with a mobile device..

Try as I might, I can't determine how to send preset messages using the Earthmate app.

Am I missing it, or can only custom messages be sent using the mobile app?

As far as I know, and looking at my device, preset messages are only available to be sent by the InReach device. Why are you wanting to send pre-set messages via the Earthmate app? It's really simple to send them via the InReach

I noticed that the InReach instructions are somewhat confusing on this. I set up 3 or 4 preset messages using the cellphone app and only managed to get one sent out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    As far as I know, and looking at my device, preset messages are only available to be sent by the InReach device. Why are you wanting to send pre-set messages via the Earthmate app? It's really simple to send them via the InReach
    You ask a good question.

I always have my cell phone handy as I use GaiaGPS for nav functions. The belt clip is my least favorite part of the InReach, and the orientation of the daisy chain on both of my packs make it challenging to clip the unit someplace where I can easily reach it for periodic checkin messages. I am going to make a silpoly pouch for the InReach so I can mount it on the top of my shoulder strap. Just thinking about how to construct the pouch and how often I would need to remove the unit. If I could send preset messages from my cell, it would be convenient and make the design of the pouch different than if I am going to remove and replace the unit often. I know they make a silicone case, but it doesn't provide the kind of attachment points I want/need.

I gotcha. I only turn mine on in the morning and evening to send a pre-set "I'm okay" message when I set-up and break camp. I've never felt the need to have it on or send messages the rest of the day, maybe one at lunch when my pack is off if I decided I wanted to 3x/day check in. Mine stays stuffed in the mesh pocket of my Arc Haul.

I don't care for the belt clip either. I have tried carrying it on my hip belt on the webbing between the padding and the buckle, or on the chest strap. Both were fine but I just didn't need to be carrying it so accessibly.

I was using a SPOT much in the same fashion as you are using your InReach. But one way communication wasn't cutting it for my wife. I use the InReach only for the sat comm functions, so I send her a message every three or four hours but can receive one from her anytime, so it stays on continuously. It surprisingly fast using a PowerJuice 4k battery so leaving it on doesn't worry me. Getting to it conveniently is the challenge so I'll be DIY'ng a strap mounted pouch for the top of my shoulder strap. I know they make a dedicated neoprene case, but it doesn't mount in a fashion I am happy with.

I got the neoprene case and agree with you. It's great for the extra protection, in case of a fall. But that clip ... I'll have to look at how my DIY strap is configured, I've forgotten already 😀.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I got the neoprene case and agree with you. It's great for the extra protection, in case of a fall. But that clip ... I'll have to look at how my DIY strap is configured, I've forgotten already .

If you have a workable solution for attaching that doesn't utilize the clip, I'd be very interested in seeing it! Please do share!!

Away from home it'll be Monday or Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    It's only simple if you can reach your InReach and get it in front of your eyes. In my case it rides on the pack and the phone is in the hip belt pocket.

++ New Posts ++