WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Guthooks LT APP?

I've downloaded the latest version of Guthooks app for the Vermont Long trail and really like it a lot.
    I remember using the guthooks app on the PCT and it would draw a red line and heading toward the nearest point of the trail in straight line distance.

Does the AT/LT App not do that? I couldn't find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking closer, I find it does show the magnetic bearing and distance from your location. Just no red line which isn't really needed actually.
    Guthook rules!

I've always just used paper maps but I'm curious. Am I correct you need to get "AT Hiker: Guthook's Guide" and then purchase the Long Trail as an in-app purchase for $8.99? So total cost is $8.99?
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I had to go back and make sure. Yes. Only the one charge shows on my ccard.

+1 for Guthooks, if only for the mapping functionality. Comments were helpful for water sources (flowing/dry) and I really like the pictures of shelters and descriptions when I thru'd the AT (let me know what I was going to arrive to at the end of the day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All though I had some hiccups with it on the AT, but it's seriously worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    All though I had some hiccups with it on the AT, but it's seriously worth it.

What we talking here - map errors? Incorrect information? User error?

Yeah it sent me down a fire road (an abandoned access road) in Virginia that supposedly went into town. I think maybe Buena Vista?
    Anyway I found the only fire road around, like it had said in the book, with a sign an everything. I think it was supposed to be 3 or 4 miles on it before you get to brp for a hitch.

Well I certainly got 3 or 4 miles down the road but instead of road access it was just a dead end to a cliff and brp to be found.

Was super hot out and there was no water on the road. So I had to hike back, and another 12 or so before the next hitch spot. Mind you this was already towards the later part of the day.
    When I did get into town I checked where I was and with the book and notes what the error was. I immediately sent an email.

It was very bad not good day to say the least. If I had used a little more common sense maybe I woulda double checked or something.

But this was in AWOL guide. Nothing like this happened with guthooks. Sorry I got them mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    Yeah it sent me down a fire road (an abandoned access road) in Virginia that supposedly went into town. I think maybe Buena Vista?
    Anyway I found the only fire road around, like it had said in the book, with a sign an everything. I think it was supposed to be 3 or 4 miles on it before you get to brp for a hitch.

Well I certainly got 3 or 4 miles down the road but instead of road access it was just a dead end to a cliff and no brp to be found.

Was incredibly hot out and there was no water on the road and was supposed to resupply that day so I had very little in the way of snacks. So I had to hike back, and another like 8 or so before the next hitch spot. Mind you this was already towards the later part of the day.
    When I did get into town I checked where I was and with the book and noted what the error was. I immediately sent an email.

It was a very bad not good day to say the least. If I had used a little more common sense maybe I woulda double checked or something.

But this was in AWOL guide. Nothing like this happened with guthooks. Sorry I got them mixed up.

Just got back from the first 20 miles(counting the approach) and the App was spot on. I like the elevation feature for forecasting what's next. Here's a screenshot.

++ New Posts ++