Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lots of late starters this year?

Well, initially I was going to make a post asking if there were any other late starters hitting the dusty trail on the weekend of the 20th. My registered start date is the 21st and I just realized the bus to campo doesn't run on the weekends and was looking to see if anyone wanted to split a shuttle.

However, before posting I went to the PCTA website to check out how many people had registered start dates for that weekend and I'm seeing that almost every day of this month is booked 50/50. Could this be true or did they simply close up all these dates early? I thought i was starting late. Maybe not...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't have much insight into PCT hikers, other than I know that the PCT and JMT share a lot of mileage through the Sierra Nevada mountains.

What I do know is that there's been a lot of chatter in the JMT Facebook Group because of the snow levels this year.
    These graphs of water content in the snow pack of the Sierra Nevada mountains show that this years snow pack is running about 150% to 175% of normal. That's pushing a lot of JMT thru hikers to delay their hikes for either later in the year or simply a later year.

Since PCT hikers have to go thru much of the same stuff, I could see where many hikers might be delaying their start rather than skipping the Sierra Nevada mountains.

I'd say you're later than many, given that the permits went fast, and there's people at mile 600 already. There was also various fail around the permit server crashing, showing all open days, the notice not being clear about when the process began, etc. Either way, it's probably a blessing in disguise - the snow levels in the mountains are epic as HooKooDooKu says, so giving them a little time to simmer down isn't a bad thing. It's the 2000 mile race from KM to Canada before October that you need to really worry about.

I'm starting May 14, not by choice, but I think it will work. Just pull 20s for 4 months straight, how hard could it be?

This is also a good link for snow, a little more tactical - http://www.postholer.com/snow/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1

Images

Let's look at some numbers. I started May 21st 2011 and there were three other hikers that I know of that started that day. This year there are 50 if everyone who has a permit starts and nobody without that days permit doesn't. I believe I was the last NOBO starter to finish. This year there will be 50 starting on May 22, another 49 or 50 starting every day for the next few. So yeah, there are a whole lot more late starters than previous years, even previous high snow years.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

It's a shame we don't have don't have permitted starters versus actual starters. That information might invalidate the permit system.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have a feeling it must be a website glitch or they closed out the dates. I just feel like people would be talking about such a heavy month. This is a screenshot from the site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    I have a feeling it must be a website glitch or they closed out the dates. I just feel like people would be talking about such a heavy month. This is a screenshot from the site.
    I have watched the photos of the border monument and there have been hoards of hikers. It can't imagine the amount of poo that is near every possible campsite listed in Guthook. It almost takes the appeal out of hiking that trail again.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I have watched the photos of the border monument and there have been hoards of hikers. It can't imagine the amount of poo that is near every possible campsite listed in Guthook. It almost takes the appeal out of hiking that trail again.
    Ive been watching closely myself and have not seen anywhere near the suggested 1000+ people suggested by the site. People these days don't miss the chance to post something like their starting pictures to social media. As far as I've heard poop has always been a problem unfortunately.

Also question still stands. Anyone on here starting that weekend?

Fortunately there are countless sites not listed. Hope I didn't give a deep dark secret away...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

It's the curse of Guidebook Culture, it used to be the same thing with the Wingfoot AT book. Everyone whipped out their books and went to the same bar, the same shelter, the same scenic overview, as if you were missing something and not doing it "right" if you deviated. Nowadays it's the same with gear, too. What, you don't have a ZPack Eleventy TarpTentPackBag? Dude, how can you hike? Does anyone know if the PCT guidebook (blue & red and small) is like the AT guide book, a simple listing of mileages, peaks, streams and road crossings?

Sorry for derailing you HDLV. Happy trails man.

GAME 06

I started last year on May 9th right in the middle of a large number of days with the 50 max, but the trail was never crowded nor the camping overwhelmed at other than a few spots. Lake Morena, Hiker Heaven were really packed of course. The only place really ugly was Kennedy Meadows were there were about 100 hikers just at the area around the store and that place was disgustingly filthy (of the 8 portajohns there was not one where the poop was not higher than the seat - I assume everyone was heading out into the trees in the nearby area and can't imagine what that must have been like).

The real issue this year is not the late starters as about now is the right time to have started really. It is the 2000 early starters who are up ahead hiking slow, getting fat and sitting around losing conditioning and then, when the snow gets down, are going to charge en mass into the Sierras. That is going to be a mess as just when they do this the group which started at a better time are going to be catching up to them and then will all bunch up together. It might be interestingly epic. I imagine some interesting stories coming.

After what I saw at Wrightwood last year, there's no way I'd want to be on the trail in that mess. Fortunately once you get a few hundred yards away from the PCT you have peace and quiet once again.

Images

Also question still stands. Anyone on here starting that weekend?
    I also start May 21st. Name is Ty but I'll be going by Ghost from my AT hike. Staying with Bob Saturday night. I'll probably see ya out there this Sunday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by -Ghost- View Post
    I also start May 21st. Name is Ty but I'll be going by Ghost from my AT hike. Staying with Bob Saturday night. I'll probably see ya out there this Sunday!
    nice! We fly into San Diego Saturday. How do you plan on getting to the trail head?

Images

nice! We fly into San Diego Saturday. How do you plan on getting to the trail head?
    Bob Reiss is picking me up Saturday at 930p and hosting me for the night. Then taking me to the trailhead on Sunday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Just a note on epic snow pack...Tioga, Sonora and Ebbetts pass's are still closed with no real expected open dates. I was up near Ebbettes last weekend and spoke with a sherrif who was headed up the past the closed gate. He said he thought it may open around the end of July! They are using excavators on Tioga to pull the snow down to the snow blowers.... 10-12 feet on pavement at this time. The below pic is 3 weeks ago at the PCT trail head on 88, Carson Pass. Yup. Gonna be a late season.....

88 pass.jpg

May 25, 2017. The NOBO HOBOS, Sarah & Matt, reached Kennedy Meadows. Sarah had a Banana Split appetizer before dinner.
    Y'all go!
    https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/about/
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

June 14, 2017. The NOBO HOBOS, Sarah & Matt, reached the base of Forester pass.
    Apparently, hikers ahead of them have crossed over Forester.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    June 14, 2017. The NOBO HOBOS, Sarah & Matt, reached the base of Forester pass.
    Apparently, hikers ahead of them have crossed over Forester.
    Wayne

Younggun and his gf crossed Forester pass a week or so ago, according to his flicker pics. Lots of snow still.

https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0189006/p...nggunthehiker/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++