WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MYOG Dog Sleep System

I've been looking for a long time for a sleep system for our dogs. Everything I've found is either too expensive, too bulky, or too heavy.

I've figured out how to create a sleeping bag with an incorporated sleep pad that will be about 16oz for our big dog (dimensions 36x26) and our smaller dog (10oz). I had to buy everything for the project since this will be my first MYOG attempt, but it averages out to about $50 dog. Not bad for a sleeping bag and pad!!

I'll post the results once I've got it completed. I'll have access to a sewing machine at the end of the month, and materials will start trickling in this week. Just needed to share with other backpackers with dogs who may have experienced the same thing (my SO is not nearly as excited as I am about this)!

Forgot to include the dimensions for the smaller 10oz sleep system... should be about 26x20in.

Does it involve buying a 2xl men's down jacket for 30 bucks and cutting a piece of blue CCF pad? Because that's what I've done after my 40 pound dog discovered the joys of using my MH GhostWhisperer as a quilt. Cut off the arms and sew the holes shut. The jacket rolls up and the pad goes around the rolled-up jacket...

My dog prefers it as a quilt, but you can make it a bag by zipping up the jacket with the pad on the inside and cinching the waist drawcord, like the footbox on a quilt....

If you need more interior space, I guess you could zip two jackets together...

Simply do what I did few years back....Costco ul packable down vest...sew up arm holes and waist....u now have a custom dog down bag under $25 Inc seamstress work...I use a cutdown 3 panel zlite pad as a sit pad which is pups mat at night...if he's still cold he gets covered with my rain parka...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of a cross of all of that. Making the sack (it will have zippers on the sides to use as a quilt or bag) out of costco quilt, but also devising a slip on the bottom for a sleeping pad (which I'm making of a cut up thermarest blue pad).

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    Kind of a cross of all of that. Making the sack (it will have zippers on the sides to use as a quilt or bag) out of costco quilt, but also devising a slip on the bottom for a sleeping pad (which I'm making of a cut up thermarest blue pad).
    Sounds perfect....a lot craftier than mine...

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. My first MYOG attempt, so I'm sure it won't be without its challenges. The guys over at Ripstopbytheroll have been wonderful and patient with all of my questions and hemming and hawing over materials.

My dogs aren't burrowers either, so I wanted to be able to zip up none or one of the sides if needed, save the double zip for real cold nights.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Sounds perfect....a lot craftier than mine...

Journal Entries

I'm failing as a dog mom... half of a cheap fleece blanket from walmart over a cut up part of an old Thermarest. On super cold trips, I have taken a thrift store jacket and laid it over her once I send her to her "spot" (the pad). She sleeps in the tent with me or I hang my hammock low as I can stand it so that she is just about laying beside me. 60lb dog.

Quote Originally Posted by plexusbritt View Post
    I'm failing as a dog mom... half of a cheap fleece blanket from walmart over a cut up part of an old Thermarest. On super cold trips, I have taken a thrift store jacket and laid it over her once I send her to her "spot" (the pad). She sleeps in the tent with me or I hang my hammock low as I can stand it so that she is just about laying beside me. 60lb dog.

I'm bad 2. I had to wonder what a sleep system for a dog was. My rattie is happy to snuggle between my legs under my toasty warm quilt in the hammock. We did our first overnight in April when he was only 4 months old. He was pretty peeved to be pried from his toasty warm spot at sunrise but his only real complaint would be that I made him wear booties so he would not damage the hammock with his claws.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Simply do what I did few years back....Costco ul packable down vest...sew up arm holes and waist....u now have a custom dog down bag under $25 Inc seamstress work...I use a cutdown 3 panel zlite pad as a sit pad which is pups mat at night...if he's still cold he gets covered with my rain parka...

My dog uses Costco's Ultralight Ultra warm 700 fill power package down throw that I picked up at Costco for $20. And it even comes with its own stuff sack.

++ New Posts ++