WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightweight pants comparisons?

Hi all,

I've managed to get my weight down for the warmer season, and I'm planning to do the long trail at the end of the summer. I have a pair of rain pants that work great in the snow and when kayaking, but I don't want to carry them when they'll be worn so rarely in the summer. I have a pair of synthetic leggings that traps a lot of warmth even when wet, so I want a pair of lightweight pants, preferably wind pants, to complement them. Does anyone have a favorite lightweight pair of pants? Hopefully something under 4 or 5 ounces. If I find I desperately need a rain skirt, I'll probably rig up my tyvek groundsheet to double task.

I've heard scattered positive reviews of the Patagonia Houdini and the Montbell Tachyon, but it's hard to find a comparison rundown for them given the specific nature of the pants, and the fact that few people own multiple different types of them.

(I hope this is the right subform for this request- if not please point me to it!)

I have a pair of Kuhl convertibles that I absolutely love.. but they weigh i

Have you thought about employing your "rain pants" when it isn't raining?

I don't understand your goals. Why do you need pants for a summer LT thru? There are a bunch of around 2 oz rain skirts from several of the UL cottage gear companies. Why can't a 2 0z rain skirt and very light wt 4 oz or so nylon running shorts work if it is wt reduction you're mainly after? Take along a pr of 3.? oz silk wt synthetic thermal bottoms with a looser weave and slightly loose fit for added warmth but with increased ventilation and for amending the sleep system. You might look strange to some but who says you can't also hike during cooler times in the silk wt bottoms? Who cares what they say as you'll be covered for your needs with some diversity in your kit with likely a light wt kit then them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Have you thought about employing your "rain pants" when it isn't raining?

I don't understand your goals. Why do you need pants for a summer LT thru?
    I want long pants lighter than my rain pants for the extra warmth if needed, and to keep bugs and sun off my legs when it's warm out. I'm looking for a lighter pair because I think they'll be more comfortable to carry or wear than my current rain pants.

Journal Entries

Railriders Eco-mesh with Insectshield.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoc View Post
    Railriders Eco-mesh with Insectshield.
    Just looked them up, definitely pretty interesting. Not sure how I feel about the khakis versus the usual black pants. Do you know their total weight?

Journal Entries

XL with 30" inseam is 11.4oz. Check Section Hiker for a review. Available at RailRiders.Com. You may try searching internet for possible lower prices.

Journal Entries

Go to thrift store
    Buy old cheap insulated nylon ski pants $3
    Cut out inner liner and insulation
    Voila- water resistant pu coated nylon wind pant shell

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Go to thrift store
    Buy old cheap insulated nylon ski pants $3
    Cut out inner liner and insulation
    Voila- water resistant pu coated nylon wind pant shell
    GREAT IDEA!!!!!! I have an old pair of wind pants with a liner.
    I think I'll cut out the cotton liner and have my rain pants (I guess I could leave the liner in in case it gets chilly during the day.)
    I also think I'll purchase a pair of the synthetic leggings for added warmth at night, if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I found a pair of Brooks Rush running pants to try. It weighs 6 oz which isn't great, but it was a good deal and will let me know if I like the type of pants much. I might swap out my tights for these even, given warm enough weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This pair of wind pants from Montbell weigh three ounces. I own a pair and they have served me well.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoc View Post
    XL with 30" inseam is 11.4oz. Check Section Hiker for a review. Available at RailRiders.Com. You may try searching internet for possible lower prices.
    I have a never worn out of the house only washed pair for sale in the classifieds here. Size XL 30" inseam VersaTac Lights.

As a civilian I've been wearing RR shorts for about 5 yrs and recently bought their pants. As a government employee I wore their pants for 2 yrs and put them through some tough stuff. IMO they are top shelf. Just stay away from flames, heat sources, etc. as they will burn/melt.

enjoy my Columbia convertbles

ZPacks rain pants are 3.7 oz.

Why wouldn't these work for summer long pants? They're light enough to dry quickly enough for evening wear in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    This pair of wind pants from Montbell weigh three ounces. I own a pair and they have served me well.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123
    +2 for Montbell Dynamo

My warmer weather strategy is to use shorts (Toad & Co), Montbell Dynamo over the shorts if a little warmth is needed and cycling leg warmers attached to my shorts with safety pins if more warmth is needed, wearing the Dynamo pants over these. This combo has worked extremely well for me and offers maximum flexibility at minimum weight. The Dynamos can even suffice with a fair amount of rain, and they dry super fast.

Don't get the Tachyons! ... they don't breathe nearly as well!

++ New Posts ++