WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Never had one. Apparently drinking one beer a day (or sometimes 2) is the secret
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The important thing is people helped you and you got the care you needed. Although not as severe case of illness on the trail I too had wonderful angels help me when I got sick hiking. I was amazed at the kindness from strangers to help me.

As to some of the comments on Kidney stones I'll toss in my two cents. I speak as a Urology nurse with over 20 years experience treating and helping people with stones. Most common cause - people do not drink enough water. Water being the key. Most stones are calcium oxalate, certain diets and genetics come into play along with low fluid intake over a period of time. Uric Acid stones are not seen on x-rays/scans or such and can be prevented by using citrus drinks such as real Lemonade which will help prevent and treat if you have Uric Acid stones. Pain from the stone generally is when the stone stops moving and blocks/partially blocks the flow of urine from the kidney causing urine to back up into the kidney. This back up of urine can cause swelling in the kidney (Hydronephrosis) and if untreated can cause damage. The pain also is when the ureter (tube from kidney to the bladder) spasms as it tries to force the stone down - similar to labor pains but do not let up. The most common place for the stones to get caught is before entering the bladder as the ureter crosses the iliac crest (part of pelvic bones) and the ureter narrows slightly before the bladder. Most stones once in the bladder do not cause pain and can readily be passed. The urethra (tube from bladder out) is larger diameter so stones are pee'd out usually without the severe pain. Non-moving stones in the kidneys don't often cause pain. Stones less than 8 mm will generally pass on their own, but some people have to much pain and chose medical intervention. Concerns are infection or damage to the kidney from the back up of urine. Best prevention - drink plenty of water keeping well hydrated in your daily life as well as on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I've been shot a couple times and kidney stones hurt a he}} of a lot worse.
    You're not the first I've heard say the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one and went through the machine zapping device that cost so much. They said they had it. All they did was knock it down close to the bladder. About a week later, I was peeing one morning without a care in the world and my urine flow suddenly stopped. No pain, just stopped and I was not finished. Suddenly it started up again and I saw the stone sinking to the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by kizzybean View Post
    As to some of the comments on Kidney stones I'll toss in my two cents. I speak as a Urology nurse with over 20 years experience treating and helping people with stones. Most common cause - people do not drink enough water.
    <snip>
    Best prevention - drink plenty of water keeping well hydrated in your daily life as well as on the trail.
    Thanks for reiterating the point. This is why I get a little hot under the collar when we're discussing water and folks suggest getting by on less, or going on about how they can get by on a quart a day. Don't do it. Carry enough. Drink up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++