WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer to Neels. Honeymoon Hike

My soon to be wife and I will be hiking the Springer to Neels section in GA. We are planning on a three day hike. Looking for information or advice on how we should break this hike up over three days. Thanks

Assuming on getting a ride up to the FS42 parking lot and the extra 0.9 miles of going to the summit of Springer and back, the first night is at Hawk Mountain shelter or tent sites ~ 9 miles. Second night tent at Lance creek ~ 16 miles. Yea, that's a long day but not that hard. Last (third) day Neel gap ~ 7.4 moderately difficult miles. That's a common way to break it up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wouldn't go all the way to lance creek. There are many unofficial sites between Woody Gap and Lance Creek.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Images

Yeah, there is a nice campsite area at the top of the first stiff climb north of Woody Gap, just past the big rock with the nice view. Several good tent sites. There is water there, too, if it's been raining.

If you stop at Hawk Mountain area on day one, you'll hit the big climbs early in the morning on day two (Sassafras and Justus), then get a nice break at Gooch Mountain Shelter, then push on to Woody Gap. It does make for a longer second day, so get an early start

Congrats, btw.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Another vote for camping on top of Preachers Rock, which is the first climb out of Woody Gap. When you get to the large rock face and view, there are several campsites directly behind the rock, and several more a little north on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Another vote for camping on top of Preachers Rock, which is the first climb out of Woody Gap. When you get to the large rock face and view, there are several campsites directly behind the rock, and several more a little north on the trail.
    Yes, there are plenty of non-designated tent sites along there, but with very few exceptions, they do not have water available or other amenities, so you have to be sure to carry sufficient water for dinner and breakfast, which can add 5 pounds to your load. You also have to be aware of where the water sources are and where you might want to camp in order to minimize the distance you have to carry all that extra water. Availability of water also varies with the season, so that also has to be considered. Therefore, I do not recommend these non-designated sites to people who might be novice hikers and with little data to go on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++