Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I am guess you hiked between the years 2012 and 2016. There are a bunch of hikers in the snow right now that would disagree with your sidewalk comment as would 2005, 2005, 2010 and 2011 hikers.
    I've been hiking on the PCT every year since 1984. The PCT is not my goal, it's a way to reach other goals.

Not sure what you mean by the sidewalk comment, though. It seems to me in big snow years maps are far more useful than KML files. I am not anti-Halfmile's track. It's a very useful tool.

Default I'd carry maps for the whole PCT

A couple of years before I hiked the PCT I met a PCT veteran who was passing along advice. One thing he told me is that he didn't really need maps.

I hiked the PCT in 2010 and I can tell you that I really, really needed maps. Often. There were vast stretches of trail buried under snow, sometimes with no tracks to follow, or no way of knowing if any human tracks were on the right path.

There were also some poorly marked or unmarked forks in the trail. Two of us missed a major turn and it was mighty nice to have maps to figure out our error and to get back on track.

I would carry some form of maps for the entire PCT.

Default When do you need maps?

I'm not the GREATEST with a topo map, but isn't it true that with a topo map, you have to be referring to it fairly constantly? Like maybe every few minutes? Otherwise, you see a peak and try to find it on the map - and then you're not really sure if it's "this peak or that peak"?
    To me, that's the main advantage of GPS. Just check it whenever you want and it gives your exact location. Yes, it can break or run out of juice. you can even lose it if you're not careful.
    Safest bet for all situations is to learn navigation skills..
    You won't need em. Till you do. ?

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I'm not the GREATEST with a topo map, but isn't it true that with a topo map, you have to be referring to it fairly constantly? Like maybe every few minutes? Otherwise, you see a peak and try to find it on the map - and then you're not really sure if it's "this peak or that peak"?
    It just takes practice to read topos and after looking at them day after day you'll be able to read the landscape by looking at that map almost better than looking around. On the CDT I had both 11x17 maps as well as my Garmin eTrex 20. There were definitely areas I was glad to have my GPS (usually foggy landscapes or in the desert) but in mountainous areas it was nice to hike for an hour, pull out my map and instantly be able to tell where I was at (approx), when the next water source might or might not be, the elevation layout, and what geological forms I should see within the next hour. GPS is nice, but you have to turn it on, make sure it syncs your location, zoom in on your location (to see proper elevation) and then scroll around to see the layout, which, personally, would take a lot longer.

It's all preference. (Except while on the AT; I didnt take any maps, just AWOLs guide, and only got turned around once on Moxie Bald in a blanket of thickest fog Ive ever been in and because someone built a carin down what I suspected to be a side poop trail.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    I've been hiking on the PCT every year since 1984. The PCT is not my goal, it's a way to reach other goals.

Not sure what you mean by the sidewalk comment, though. It seems to me in big snow years maps are far more useful than KML files. I am not anti-Halfmile's track. It's a very useful tool.
    Oops, I quotes the wrong post. It was directly at this one by Woobie

" You are walking on a nature sidewalk for 2600 miles. Dload a app and keep it pushing"
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

I use my smartphone and ditched my paper maps to save weight. My 2011 AT hike was easily done this way. On one bit my phone battery was dead but my memory was sufficient. This year on the PCT I found the smartphone was useful for several sections in locating the trail after I lost the trail, particularly at stream crossing though I believe I would have found the trail eventually but it was nice to have the map and GPS. Paper maps seem antiquated and should be a backup rather than a primary use if carried at all.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

"When do you need maps?"

My personal answer: Always.

If I'm hiking without a trail map, it's generally because I'm drawing the trail map. (And even then, I'm hiking with some sort of map, no matter how bad.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I always carry maps. They may have saved my life a couple of years ago. Hiking the AT in winter in very deep snow I found the only possible exit strategy.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

ALWAYS !!!

A map weights about 1 ounce and so does a compass (mine anyway). So I see no reason not to bring either. Yes, trails are typically well blazed and you can usually follow the track without too many problems. But what if? Yeah, I know, don't carry your fears but at 2 ounces it's a fear I'm willing to carry.

In the event that you leave the trail and get desoriented, a map can prevent an inconvenience from becoming a serious problem. Even if you're not very proficient at reading maps and using a compass, you can still use them to find bearing points and possibly set a course and follow it. You may not be going in the right direction but at least you won't be going around in circles.

My two cents... I always carry a map and compass.

You need maps once you realize your trapped by your reliance on a phone loaded with guthook and halfmile apps. The AT, the PCT, they are ghetto trails now. Lose your apps. Learn to read a map and get out into the mountains and hear their good tidings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++