WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to get shoe advice in Raleigh or Cary NC?

I'm looking for reccomendations on shoe stores in Raleigh or Cary. I need to get properly measured and I'd like to have someone analyze my gait to help me find the best type of trail shoe. I like REI, but I feel like this is outside of their expertise.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Educated guess: Try a New Balance company store if you have one.
    Personal Experience: Every pair of hiking footwear that I have been "professionally fitted" for has been too small for backpacking. In my case, I need longer and wider footwear for backpacking. Fortunately I bought my last pair from REI, used the shoes in Colorado, and exchanged them for a larger size after my trip. Kudos to REI for their 1 year trial policy.
    Good luck! Trial and error rules.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

You might have better luck at a running store like InsideOut Sports. I was recently in Western NC and based on the recommendations of this website, stopped by Outdoor 76 in Franklin. I scheduled a fitting ahead of time and I recommend anyone else to do the same. I have been very pleased with both the footbeds and boots they sold to me.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can try New Balance, Fleet Feet, Bull City Running, or Great Outdoor Provisions stores.

You may also want to look into the shoe insole stores around Raleigh as well. I remember one in Cary Towne Center. They will analyze your pressure points and pronation.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

New Balance on Glenwood Ave in Raleigh

For analyzing your gait, mechanics, foot characteristics, and pronation seek out a full service running store avoiding all stores that carry only one shoe brand.

I had a great experience at my local Fleet Feet. I had zero complaints with the shoes I ended up with and put 400+ miles on them before replacing them with another pair.

You can measure, fit, analyze, comparasize all you want. You won't know if you have the right shoes until the rubber meets the trail.
    From Sarah one of the NOBO HOBOS on the PCT.
    "I got a half size bigger than my current shoes which were already a half size bigger than my previous shoes. With this new found freedom my toes were able to spread out. I was even able to make my Thursday morning scheduled call to my sister."
    This is exactly where I am after actual trail testing last year. Thanks REI! Y'all are the best!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Behind the North Raleigh IHOP on Six Forks is a shopping center with a running store in it. I have gone there (since Mom lives in the neighborhood behind there).

Also, in the same shopping center as the Whole Foods on Wade Ave is another good footwear store. When I ran cross country in high school, my coach sent the whole team there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++