WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I find that stopping for my main meal mid day actually really helps for the afternoon. It forces me to stop for an long break and it provides exactly the fuel I need to get going in the afternoon for big or small climbs. I don't like cooking at night when I'm exhausted so a large mid day meal really helps on two fronts.
    Ditto. It also helps if you camp without a water source, and in cold weather you don't get as cold when you stop for the night.
    In really hot weather, I try to stop at a shelter or other shaded place with water during the day and would take a five hour break or so. That way I can do most of my mile in the morning or just before and after dusk avoiding the worst of the heat and sun.
    In rainy, hypothermia-inducing weather I make it a point to take several short breaks throughout the day, generally at least one an hour. I might not think I need it, but I do, and if I try to stop for 15 minutes or more I can get too cold, if I don't stop enough I get cold and tired. So many short breaks work best then and I try to eat my main meal whenever it's warm and dry enough to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I'm at a loss for words.......WOW...a lot to digest!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By now you should've recognized be careful what you ask for. You might get some answers.

It's not the answers necessarily, which are really only the doorway. It's what you do with them.

Eat. Protein mostly plus some candy.
    + Unhealthy amounts of caffeine. 5hr energy plus a gel then another gel or 5 hour 30 minutes later

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

I have come close to bonking while hiking once and actually bonked cycling about 2 miles from my car. It is a very bad state of affairs when the body is so depleted the energy to go on is just not there. On my cycling adventure I was able to rest for a while and very slowly struggle back to my car. Repleneshing with food and gatorade made me feel a lot better bit it was rough. I had a friend who ended up crawling to his car coming up out of the grand canyon once.

The sooner I can get miles in, the better. I will find shade and rest if I have to, that usually helps me to get going again.

Yeah, I won't lie. 5 hr energy has become my trail buddy. I don't carry a stove anymore, so 5HE is my morning coffee and and my after lunch pick me up. I don't eat a lot of "meals" on the trail. Instead, I just eat continually. GORP, ProBars, PNMMs, and lately, Cheetos. I am not a thru hiker but I do a fair number of sections in 50-150 mile range, going 20+ per day. I think the key to not tanking is to just eat steadily. I do some lifesavers or jolly ranchers when I want a boost (mostly mental).

Images

I've found that if I don't drink enough water I run out of energy long before the day is done.
    So I make a point to have a drink every 30 to 60 minutes.
    It doesn't need to be a big drink but it does need to be.

Take a nap!
    Even a 10 minute one helps wonders.
    Headnet helps for this sometimes.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

If I can figure out if I'm bonking from lack of water or food quick enough I can avoid it. Otherwise it requires a two hour meal break instead of 45 minutes. So it's like waiting out a thunderstorm, I can call it an early day or squeeze in a few more hours afterwards. I always choose early and make up the miles when I'm refreshed the next day.

Images

Chocolate covered espresso beans are cheaper than the little energy drinks, and have a similar effect. And they taste terrific.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Chocolate covered espresso beans are cheaper than the little energy drinks, and have a similar effect. And they taste terrific.
    Good idea. I'll try that.

Sit down. Drink lots of water and eat a MEAL. The reason you bonk is inadequate nutrition and/or hydration more than likely if you are an "otherwise healthy individual."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Yeah, I won't lie. 5 hr energy has become my trail buddy. I don't carry a stove anymore, so 5HE is my morning coffee and and my after lunch pick me up. I don't eat a lot of "meals" on the trail. Instead, I just eat continually. GORP, ProBars, PNMMs, and lately, Cheetos. I am not a thru hiker but I do a fair number of sections in 50-150 mile range, going 20+ per day. I think the key to not tanking is to just eat steadily. I do some lifesavers or jolly ranchers when I want a boost (mostly mental).
    Garbage as far as nutrition goes. I can't believe the number of people who expect to be able to do an endurance "event", day after day, eating like this.

/rant off/
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Garbage as far as nutrition goes. I can't believe the number of people who expect to be able to do an endurance "event", day after day, eating like this.

/rant off/
    /more rant/
    Pop Tarts, Moon Pies, Pop Tarts, Little Debbie's, More Pop Tarts.
    I was in the local organic/vegan store one day and spied a box of organic pop tarts. I thought I would give them a try. Maybe they would change my opinion of pop tarts. Nope. Gagging sweet. Scary ingredients. And obscenely expensive relative to the generic types.
    Pay attention folks.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I just used some dark chocolate espresso beans from Lucky's market on an endurance SUP expedition race....not sure why I've never used hiking....they seem to help some but I get immune to caffeine after a few days....after 20 hours of straight paddling I guess nothing but sleep is going to help....

Journal Entries

That does sound good just to have, but excellent to have when the midday wall hits.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    I use to drink those just in real life as on the trail, followed with Rockstar energy drink. Had a blood test one time and the doctor asked why my B-12 levels were so high. I smiled and told. He just waved his hands, shrugged his shoulders and walked out laughing.
    Blackheart

Default How do you energize when you bonk out mid day?

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/probar-probar-superfood-slam-12-bars/p9-1003

I tried this bar recently and really enjoyed it. It's not visually appealing but really hit the spot halfway through a tough hike.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post

/rant off/

Not only do people expect to do an endurance event day after day when they eat like that, they actually *do* an endurance event day after day with that diet. Many people complete a whole long trail with a healthy dose of food like that. And why not? You get your protein, you get your carbs and you get your fat. It all gets metabolised and it all gets burned. If you are worried about vitamins or micronutrients, eat a large salad or a bunch a fruit when you get to town.
    Amazing how many people complete a thru without fussing about a balanced diet...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I'm at a loss for words.......WOW...a lot to digest!

Quoting that dissertation added to the pain.
    Lol.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++