WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I didn't see any other hikers on my thru with my exact footwear setup. This includes socks. There definitely isn't a definitive answer here and I would hope that the OP tries several different combos to find out what works for them.

I prefer thin socks and that they dry quickly. I don't remember having much foot pain but just some blisters. After some consideration I might try a pair of darn tough and point 6 socks ,light weight instead of ultra light weight and see how it goes .the HST is only 75 miles or so, wouldn't have to suffer for too long....

I have also been debating the thick vs thin. I have a couple pair of Darn Tough, but I think they are the Coolmax. I'd like to try the regular merino Micro Crew Cushion. A local place had some Light Cushion, but it just seemed really thin. After being used to the SmartWool thick socks, I think the regular Darn Tough cushion would be a little thinner. I have no idea what works better for blisters, but it seems the cushion would be more comfortable, but perhaps hotter in the summer months.

Use the sock thickness to fine-tune the fit of your shoes. I prefer the thicker socks, myself.

GAME 06

Just another post reiterating that there is NO RIGHT ANSWER to this question of socks.

IMHO the lightest Smartwool ankle high sock is a far better sock than the Darn Toughs. Reasoning....

1. Breathability is key. Thin socks breathe much better than thick ones and the Darn Toughs are much thicker than the Smartwool.
    2. Thick socks hold a lot more moisture than thin ones.
    3. Blisters. The key factors in getting blisters are heat, moisture and friction. You can control friction by fitting your shoe perfectly. But a thicker sock holds more moisture and is hotter. Now on the AT this makes little difference as the trail is not very hot and is about 95% in the shade. When you hike in the desert a lot like I do those Darn Toughs are hot and your feet get really sweaty. And the Darn Tough cause hot spots when the thin Smartwools don't.
    4. Who gives a crap about how long the sock lasts? Really? Folks here spend a fortune on light trail running shoes which wear out just by looking at them and then think buying Darn Tough's makes some kind of sense? I don't get that at all. Besides I get about 1000 miles per pair of Smartwool socks - I am serious and not exaggerating. If you fit your shoe right then it does not slide around in the shoe and wear your socks out.

I have put on a pair of Darn Toughs when I had been trail hiking with a pack over 100 miles a week in the heat of the AZ summer and had good callus's and was never getting blisters or hot spots and within a couple of hours had hots spots forming.

So ymmv but I will take the Smartwool any day.

Gear is different for each person; I have had GREAT success with the couple of pairs of REI merino socks I got out of their garage sale; I did get a couple of pairs of the darn tough socks a year ago for Christmas and I like them very much, however, they are a bit thicker and take a little getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I haven't had a chance to try the Darn Tough socks yet. My experience with Smartwool does mirror others, though. Definitely short lived. Balega (sold in running stores) is far better. Some of my pairs of Balegas have to be close to ten years old at this point.
    I bought a few pair off Belega at REI few months back for the gym....I love them....as much as I like my DT for hiking I'm thinking I'll try these for my CT hike as they are lighter, thinner and feel better with my new Altra Olympus...they are polyester not wool so will see how they work long term...so far I've only worn at the gym for few hours daily...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    Gear is different for each person; I have had GREAT success with the couple of pairs of REI merino socks I got out of their garage sale; I did get a couple of pairs of the darn tough socks a year ago for Christmas and I like them very much, however, they are a bit thicker and take a little getting used to.
    I liked rei merino for gym

When i ran in them they didnt last long before holes on heels

Any of the merino socks with a real free replacement guarantee are comparable IMO, though I tried darned tough socks once and found them to be quality. LL Bean, Smartwool, even the Costco Kirkland Merinos and alpaca socks are decent. Compare these to the many years of lower grade socks hikers had to use, cotton and hard wool. It is possible to make most natural fabrics comfortable. My hope is for accessible and affordable to all hiking/camping products where no one is excluded from the great outdoors. Used is fine too as long as the products fit. I knew a nice older couple in Stowe VT years ago that had Merino sheep but they couldn't get any real money for the raw wool product with the New Zealand subsidy.

Bridgedale liners and medium/summit wool socks. A match made in heaven - hooray for the Irish!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++