WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Got my kit dialed in! (another gear list)

I think I'm done tinkering (at least for the time being) with my kit!

https://lighterpack.com/r/48eru8

I've got the list set up to account for change in season (for example, added in the additional ounces for my cold sleeping bag and seasonal clothing) and luxury items that I may decide to swap in/out depending on the trip.

There are a couple things that say 0oz (I went with oz not grams) because I rounded things up or down, so it likely evens out in the end.

It's 14lb if I carry all of my cold weather and every luxury item listed (which I've never done... for example, I've only ever brought the chair on leisurely summer trips with a "base camp") and just below 10lb if I carry my summer kit and no luxury items.

There are certainly a couple things I could lighten up (aren't there always), but this strikes a nice balance between weight and comfort for me.

Add in 2L of water (4.5 lbs) and a generous 3-4 days of food (6-7 lbs for what I consume during that time usually even is extra), and I'm about 25lbs at my absolute heaviest (I'm about 100lbs, 5', so I don't want to push those numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    I think I'm done tinkering (at least for the time being) with my kit!

https://lighterpack.com/r/48eru8

I've got the list set up to account for change in season (for example, added in the additional ounces for my cold sleeping bag and seasonal clothing) and luxury items that I may decide to swap in/out depending on the trip.

There are a couple things that say 0oz (I went with oz not grams) because I rounded things up or down, so it likely evens out in the end.

It's 14lb if I carry all of my cold weather and every luxury item listed (which I've never done... for example, I've only ever brought the chair on leisurely summer trips with a "base camp") and just below 10lb if I carry my summer kit and no luxury items.

There are certainly a couple things I could lighten up (aren't there always), but this strikes a nice balance between weight and comfort for me.

Add in 2L of water (4.5 lbs) and a generous 3-4 days of food (6-7 lbs for what I consume during that time usually even is extra), and I'm about 25lbs at my absolute heaviest (I'm about 100lbs, 5', so I don't want to push those numbers).

Looks pretty good. A few picky comments:

1) You have three shirts. IMO, that's one too many. You hike in one, and sleep in the other, IMO.
    2) You have both a water filter and Aqua Mira. IMO, either one or the other (or, gasp!, nothing at all).
    3) No apparent map, compass, or guidebook. Hope the Iphone battery doesn't fail!
    4) No TP (you're not planning to use leaves!!!!).
    5) IMO, skip all of the luxury/optional items. The woods are so thick, you probably wouldn't get much use from the binoculars.

Thanks! Appreciate all the feedback!

1. Something to consider re: shirts. I often use the smart wool to layer with one of the short sleeves, so the second short sleeve is just to swap out if I'm out for more than a couple days. Luxury item worth a couple ounces to me, depending on hiking context.

2. Full disclosure- I've never used the sawyer (or carried it yet). I generally only use and carry the drops. Added the filter in for the weight in anticipation of non-AT/non-clearish water hiking areas.

3. Compass is tucked in my first aid kit. No way'd you know that, but that's where it lives! Good call on the guidebook, that too depends on where I'm hiking.

4. TP, sanitizer, lip balm, etc all in the first aid kit. Just didn't itemize that finely.

5. Luxury items totally trip dependent. Rarely carry any of them unless it's a 1-2 night short trip where the focus is more relaxation/recreating than forward momentum and mileage.

Thanks again for the feedback, especially on water treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Looks pretty good. A few picky comments:

1) You have three shirts. IMO, that's one too many. You hike in one, and sleep in the other, IMO.
    2) You have both a water filter and Aqua Mira. IMO, either one or the other (or, gasp!, nothing at all).
    3) No apparent map, compass, or guidebook. Hope the Iphone battery doesn't fail!
    4) No TP (you're not planning to use leaves!!!!).
    5) IMO, skip all of the luxury/optional items. The woods are so thick, you probably wouldn't get much use from the binoculars.

Your list seems to meet all the needs. I agree with all you presented, but I do three things different. The use of the plastic used to protect new mattresses is a great shelter. The use of balloons for a pillow stuffed into clothing is inexpensive and lightweight. I also do not usually hike with a stove except in the winter when warm meals mean more than anything else. Most of the time survival on dried food is easy until resupply or the end of the trip. Can you tell that money and weight are priorities for this old timer?

Images

At 5' tall do you need a two person tent? At 5'3" that was a way to lose wt. for me, everything fits in a solo. For a pad I shortened a wide Neo-air X-lite to get the perfect side sleeping pad for 13ozs. Being short has allowed me to go lighter by custom shortening my sleeping bag too. My bearcan is my chair.

I usually hike with my dog and prefer to keep gear inside, it was worth the couple ounce weight penalty for me

Otherwise being short has definitely worked in my favor for weight- shorter pads, sleeping bags, etc

Good though on bear can! Will keep that in mind if I'm ever in bear country!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    At 5' tall do you need a two person tent? At 5'3" that was a way to lose wt. for me, everything fits in a solo. For a pad I shortened a wide Neo-air X-lite to get the perfect side sleeping pad for 13ozs. Being short has allowed me to go lighter by custom shortening my sleeping bag too. My bearcan is my chair.

Meant to mention- If i ever decide to tackle a longer trip without the dog, I'd definitely consider switching back to a 1P tent

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    I usually hike with my dog and prefer to keep gear inside, it was worth the couple ounce weight penalty for me

Otherwise being short has definitely worked in my favor for weight- shorter pads, sleeping bags, etc

Good though on bear can! Will keep that in mind if I'm ever in bear country!

++ New Posts ++