WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default October Mountain to Greylock

Hello. We have a hike planned in a couple weeks. I have some maps and have looked online but I can't seem to find a map that shows campsites. I only see shelters. Any ideas? Thanks.

Leonidas

Crystal Mountain is the only place I see in the guide with designated camping other than the shelters.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

That sounds right to me - though most of the shelters have spots for tenting as well.

Kay Wood is the only one not listed as a camping/shelter combo, and that also makes sense. There would probably be space there, but it could be difficult, as the shelter itself sits right on the edge of a drop off (like in if there was a log hanging over the edge of the fire pit just in front of the shelter and it burned through the hanging part would fall over the edge close) and there isn't a lot of space behind it as I remember?

The trail traverses a narrow corridor across private land in that area, therefore camping is only at the designated sites. You maybe closer to someone's back yard then you might realize through there. Anyway, pretty easy hiking along that stretch. Get an ice cream and hot dog for lunch when you walk by Diane's Twist on your way through Cheshire.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did this same trip in the fall, it is a great hike. If you are trying to avoid shelters for some reason, Crystal Mt. is a campsite only, and you can get a campsite on Greylock via a reservation and small fee. All of the shelters through there have room for tents in my experience (some more than other). At Kay Woods it won't be separate / private like it would be at, say, Mark Noebel but you can do it.

Thank you everyone! I was mainly inquiring since we were planning on a 10 mile a day hike. So was concerned over the distance between shelters.

Greylock doesn't officially open until the week after our hike so that's a bummer. We are now trying to figure out parking near the mountain. We want to be near summit road since our hike will end at the peak.

Again. Thanks to all!

While the lodge and monument might not be open and the campground closed, you may still be able to drive and park at the top. Find out if the road will be open or not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not sure how your schedule runs - but if the road isn't open, could you add about 6 miles to the total hike and end at Route 2? There is a common long term parking area just down the road there.And if you could adjust your schedule as such, stay at the Noepel site the last night, it would give you just under 10 miles to the top then back down to Route 2 (though some of that is fairly steep downhill) to stay in that about 10 miles/day area.

All the shelters in this section have ample tenting, including Kay Wood. In Mass, camping is only permitted at the designated sites (they are all on the map and will all have signs). All sites have privy, picnic table, bear box and water source. The state campground at Sperry Rd is officially closed for maintenance until the end of May ('tho I'm not sure how they actually close it to people hiking in). It's a couple of miles off the AT. The summit road will be gated until May 20th, so once you are up there, you need to hike down. If weather permits (snow in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday night), there may be construction crews working on the summit, you might be able to hitch a ride down at the end of their day. The Thunderbolt shelter at the summit is locked and there are no tentsites. There are a number of trails leading off the AT to various trailheads, so there are lots of options, including as some have mentioned, continuing north to Rt 2. See the link to the map at: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr...n-generic.html

Cosmo

Awesome info. Thank you both for the rt 2 parking. We should be able to use that as we are shooting for 3 days total.

i'm doing most of the same route, only SOBO, and we'll need a shuttle. We plan to do 2 full days of hiking and get to the car at Dalton early the 3rd morning. Is it doable to start at North Adams and make it to Mark Noepel for night 1? Then down to Crystal Mountain for night 2, leaving only 3 miles to Dalton on the last morning. I can't find a map that will show the distances- National Geographic won't sell an online copy and no time to order the book. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Yes it's doable, depending on your start time and fitness. Sunset is about 7:30pm these days. The majority of elevation gain is at the beginning (as one might expect)

Shuttle list can be found on ATCs website. Dave Ackerman is the most active one in the area.

FYI, there are several on line AT distance calculators available...

Quote Originally Posted by jESQa View Post
    i'm doing most of the same route, only SOBO, and we'll need a shuttle. We plan to do 2 full days of hiking and get to the car at Dalton early the 3rd morning. Is it doable to start at North Adams and make it to Mark Noepel for night 1? Then down to Crystal Mountain for night 2, leaving only 3 miles to Dalton on the last morning. I can't find a map that will show the distances- National Geographic won't sell an online copy and no time to order the book. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++