WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cocoanut Oil

just came here to say that Coconut and Cocoa Nut are two different things.

Cocoa Nut:

Coconut:
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TKE402 View Post
    I haven't used the oil on the trail but I use coconut shavings and I highly recommend it. Great to add to breakfasts or by it's self as a snack. It also has properties for settling an upset stomach and I have used it for that reason and it worked. So multiple uses.
    I Agree, great as a snack.

Low calorie coconut mints are too good ;-) can't just eat one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    New report: "Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy." Low in nutritional value, with no proven upside benefits (from a consumption standpoint, that is; it's still a good moisturizer). You're much better off carrying lard on the trail.
    The "study" that this article continues to rely on is bogus. Follows no scientific repeatable standards. Relied a lot on reports by relatives after people died actually.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/0...saturated-fat/
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNeiman! View Post
    BEWARE. The medical opinion of Coconut Oil consumption has changed with recent research.

From USA Today a couple days ago...

"The American Heart Association recently released a report advising against the use of coconut oil.

The Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory reviewed existing data on saturated fat, showing coconut oil increased LDL ("bad") cholesterol in seven out of seven controlled trials. Researchers didn't see a difference between coconut oil and other oils high in saturated fat, like butter, beef fat and palm oil. In fact, 82% of the fat in coconut oil is saturated, according to the data — far beyond butter (63%), beef fat (50%) and pork lard (39%)."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...ory/402719001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See my previous post but this is not new research. And the "study" had many flaws.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits as Dogwood said. The individual packets at TJ's are the easiest way to carry it. We tried carrying it in mylar bags but it melted and leaked and was a huge mess. (Pack didn't squeak though).

I have also had problems with extra virgin coconut oil going rancid, so for the boxes I shipped over a month in advance I used refined coconut oil.

I like to add coconut oil to a Thai curry spice packet and some dried shrimp for dinner.

I am writing a cookbook on high fat recipes for backpacking, you can see some recipes and sign up for the book release on https://ketogenicbackpacking.com/about/

The refined coconut oil doesn't have this issue. Trader Joe's jar proudly states "no flavor"

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    MCT - medium chain fats found in palm kernels and coconuts:

It promises to deliver twice the energy of carbohydrates and proteins, and tastes bland. Apparently consuming too much has a laxative effect. Virgin olive oil seems the safer bet as many Greeks will attest to.

Attachment 39660
    ORRR, the ancient Greeks culturally preferred olive oil because that was more locally commercially available? If you can find me anywhere substantiated by historical accounts(not opinions) ancient Greeks made "safety" comparisons between coconut oil and olive oil please share.

Of course! I used it as a natural skin moisturize, sunscreen, insect repellent, shaving cream, also coconut oil is good for burns, scratches, and blisters, due to its antibacterial effect, and for cooking (pancakes and toasts are so yummy with it!).

Coconut oil for sunscreen? Not if you're at all fair skinned!

So...because the "right study" hasn't been done yet, the scientists at the AHA are a bunch of idiots for basing their research on everything that has been done up to now and concluding something that we don't want to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    So...because the "right study" hasn't been done yet, the scientists at the AHA are a bunch of idiots for basing their research on everything that has been done up to now and concluding something that we don't want to hear?
    Science is self correcting. Poor evidence is replaced with quality evidence. "don't want to hear" ? Simple, don't listen. We live in a society where belief in science is optional.

I take coconut oil on hikes for calories. I've also heard that it's very good for health.

Good calories and tastes great with Thai dishes.

Guess you can use coconut oil on hikes. But you should check it twice before you choose the best one. For example, I bought the Thai Coco coconut oil and the Exotic Food coconut oil. Attachment 40451 Attachment 40452 Thai Coco is a full-fat and Exotic Food contains less fat. Exotic Food coconut oil contains a bit more carbs and proteins. The Exotic Food coconut oil contains a bit more carbs and proteins. But the first one has a brighter and more authentic taste.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++