WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Trail Magic = Any unexpected act of kindness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Trail Magic = Any unexpected act of kindness.
    True, but not only. Finding something you need is even more truly magical. Need a bandana? Find one snaged on a bush. That's "magic."
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

A little left field, but here's REAL TRAIL MAGIC---

Pic taken on my last trip and this would be May 6, 2017 in the mountains of North Carolina.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i will give them beer. i'm a trail devil
    Not just beer, if I recall correctly from an early road crossing in 2016. You and Pirate were there giving out the "hard stuff" as well. Mostly, MOSTLY, to the younger female types. In fact, I believe a young lady I kept up with for a while got her Trail name from YOUR Trail magic - Hard Stuff or Hard Liquor or some such.

I was 2 days down the Trail before someone told me who the two *ahem* "older" Trail Magicians had been. I did not partake, but I truly appreciated the gesture. Wish I had known - I would have greatly enjoyed a picture with a couple of legends.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Not just beer, if I recall correctly from an early road crossing in 2016. You and Pirate were there giving out the "hard stuff" as well. Mostly, MOSTLY, to the younger female types. In fact, I believe a young lady I kept up with for a while got her Trail name from YOUR Trail magic - Hard Stuff or Hard Liquor or some such.

I was 2 days down the Trail before someone told me who the two *ahem* "older" Trail Magicians had been. I did not partake, but I truly appreciated the gesture. Wish I had known - I would have greatly enjoyed a picture with a couple of legends.
    Hogpen gap. beer, wine and liquor. and pirate grilled hot dogs. the gal with the alcohol related name was from Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    I at times live my bucket list by doing trail magic. I do remember about 3 years ago, I was giving RCs and Moonpies around Siler Bald. One man sat and talked with me for an hour. We had a great chat. I gave him my email asking him to keep me posted for his thru hike. Around Oct, I got an email from him telling me that my spirits and chat kept him motivated the entire hike. He said he was earlier thinking of stopping at Franklin and quiting, but I motivated him and he finished.

That is what I think is trail magic. Expecting it is not magic. Unexpected is what makes something magical.

When I hike next month as a section hiker, I do not feel obligated to partake but some feel that if it there take it regardless.
    RCs and Moonpies!?! You'd be popular in my town, Mobile, Alabama. On New Year's Eve our town raises a giant Moonpie at midnight. During Marci Gras, all the parades throw moonpies, too. We even have a Moonpie store where the moonpies are made fresh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Trail magic is when the trail provides , out of the blue, what you really need, at the time you need it the most.

By very definition, a hiker MUST be in need.

It might be food, water, ride, money, lodging, moral support, etc .
    We encountered this type of TM this week. We were descending Blood Mountain and weren't sure we were still on the trail. Up behind us comes Marty who hiked with us for a while and gave us the TM of much-needed encouragement and moral support. If we hadn't met his wife at Neels Gap I would have been convinced Marty was actually an angel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

I think it's the entitled generation AND a sense of expectation. "If everyone else is getting it why shouldn't I?"
    its not just the AT it's everywhere. My wife is on several Disney boards and lots of people whine about not getting "pixie dust" or "extra magic" - unexpected room upgrades, bonus fast passes, etc. Everyone seems to expect free stuff just for showing up like everyone else. I like Trail magic, I've run into it once and it was very nice. But I don't expect it. It makes a nice surprise
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++