WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tentative Gear List May 17

This is where I am at so far with my gear list for 150 mile section hike from Hot Springs to Hampton starting May 17. Any suggestions for things to omit or include?

Big Four:
    MLD Exodus-can easily fit in a Prophet, but same price and can compress, and may need extra volume for Arkansas winter hikes.
    TT Protrail-with optional poles, stakes.
    40° down quilt.
    Short ridge rest so lite.

Other:
    first aid kit of bandaids, ibuprofen, needle and floss.
    tiny roll of duck tape, emergency blanket in package
    compass, razor blade, bic lighter and fire starter
    aquamira for questionable water sources
    toothpaste, mini tooth brush, tiny deet container
    trash bag pack liner

Clothing Worn:
    long sleeve synthetic T
    baseball cap
    compression shorts
    Nylon army pt shorts
    ankle synthetic socks
    Pearl Izumi trail runners

Clothing Carried:
    Rei down puffy
    fleece cap
    extra pair socks, shorts, shirt
    Frogg Toggs rain jacket and pants

Consumables:
    1 liter water in Gatorade bottle, extra Gatorade bottle
    3 days food for Hot Springs-Erwin

Total-aiming for 15 pounds

looks pretty good to me. not far off of what i am carrying on my current thru hike attempt. https://lighterpack.com/r/80y7zr

Have you tried any of this out already. Like on an overnight trip, or three day weekend?

Yes on the Ozark Highlands Trail periodically all semester. I am contemplating switching out the Protrail for a GG spin shelter with a bugnet over my face but am not familiar with the bug situation on the AT. I am fairly certain that I will leave the down puffy at home and bring a fleece vest instead based on what I've read about the weather. Do any Exodus users have input on the compression system? My gear for this trip just barely fits in a Burn let alone a Prophet, but I would like to just own one pack and one shelter from now on. I will be doing thru hikes of the Ozark highlands Trail and Quachita trail next winter, Bartram trail next spring, and either a CT thru or collegiate loop next summer, so would like to settle on gear that would work for all those trips.

Images

The section you are planning goes over 6000ft have you factored that into the temp. rating of your sleeping system?

I'm old. I'm slow. I'm set in my ways.
    As a result, I've been fortunate enough to travel to many parts of the Earth. One thing that I have learned the hard way: Never never ever ever leave home without my down vest and rain gear. A 100 weight Polartech fleece 1/4 zip pullover is part of my permanent clothing kit.
    Arkansas doesn't count for practice on the AT from Hot Springs north. Your rain gear and shelter will be tested to the max by multi-day rain events. You can pack smart light or stupid light. Take your pick.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'd keep the puffy. There comes a point where you can be stupid light and you are rapidly approaching that fine line, but I'm old and like my creature comforts.

I had but probably not enough, I will hold onto the down puffy and consider a fleece vest to hike in/layer and long underwear for night. My only other quilt is a 10 degree Enigma which might be overkill but would save me bringing more clothes, it only weighs a bit more than my cheap 40 degree quilt and the volume would not be an issue if I go with an exodus. I'm assuming bugs won't be an issue then? I was on the Bartram at the same time last year and didn't have any problems besides the time I set up my tarp next to a creek...

Is it even worth bringing a down puffy in wet conditions? I have a army gen II cold weather waffle undergarment and a fleece vest to wear over top.

I don't have trouble keeping down dry.
    It would have to be seriously cold for me to hike wearing a fleece garment. I can't speak for you. Just saying.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I could also leave the puffy and get a fleece similar to the one you suggested.

Light, flexible clothing kit that works for me... I carry 100wt fleece AND very light down puffy.

• Clothing, bottom
      • Leg Warmersmade from Cycling winter tights, plus safety pins1
        141.1g
      • ShortsToad & Co1
        292.5g
      • UnderwearREI boxer brief1
        90.2g
      • Wind pantsMontbell Dynamo1
        81.5g
      • 1.33lb
        1.15lb

• Clothing, head
      • Bandanacotton1
        26.6g
      • Baseball capREI nylon1
        63g
      • Fleece BeanieTurtle Fur1
        48.5g
      • 0.3lb
        0.14lb

• Clothing, top
      • Down jacketMontbell Ex Light1
        160.1g
      • Fleece jacketMontbell Chameece1
        235.3g
      • Long sleeve zip TOR Echo1
        114.5g
      • T-shirtOR Echo1
        86.7g
      • Wind shirtMontbell Dynamo1
        154.5g
      • Zpacks ponchorain gear1
        145.9g
      • 1.98lb
        0.71lb

Format jumbled it, but I think you can figure it out.... I didn't want to type all that out!

Most of the time, your down puffy will stay in your pack, nice and dry. You break it out, in camp, when you are stopped and cooling down. If its raining, you are going to be in a shelter curled up in bed, or hiking. You wont want to wear a puffy while hiking. Usually a light fleece vest and long sleeve shirt under a wind or rain shell is more than enough.

Are you going stove-less?

TP/trowel, soap/sanitizer

I'm assuming you wouldn't forget these, but just in case...

Stoveless and yes on both those other things. I already have a 650 down rei puffy and will get a cheap light fleece as well.

I may be one of the few holdouts against the down jacket. Yes, it can get chilly at altitude, but there's no reason you need to spend long periods of time remaining there. A base layer, light fleece, and wind/rain layer is plenty if you're moving even in 20-30* temperatures. If you were talking about a March start I'd agree with taking it, but not by the middle of May.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I may be one of the few holdouts against the down jacket. Yes, it can get chilly at altitude, but there's no reason you need to spend long periods of time remaining there. A base layer, light fleece, and wind/rain layer is plenty if you're moving even in 20-30* temperatures. If you were talking about a March start I'd agree with taking it, but not by the middle of May.
    I've only really needed my down jacket a handful of times and I am sure glad I had it then.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Well, every hiker has a slightly different gear strategy. In my case, I wear my puffy to bed to supplement a marginal sleeping bag more often than anything else. I might wear it in the evening once per month, but in some cases, I'll sleep in it two or three times per month when the sky is clear and the night promises to be cold.

Now, turning to OP's gearlist, he's indicated that he'll be rocking a 40-degree quilt. Without more information about the manufacturer, it's hard to say what 40-degrees really means, but in my experience, if a bag is quoted as 40-degrees, then it's probably only comfortable down to 46 or 48 degrees. During the month of May, there's a good chance he'll hit a night or two in that range. By bringing a puffy, his 40-degree quilt will actually be good down to 35 or 38 degrees. But, who knows, maybe it'll stay warm for his trip, or maybe his quilt is truly a 40-degree quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by TrappedInsideACube View Post
    I've only really needed my down jacket a handful of times and I am sure glad I had it then.
    Sure, it's a great tool for the right purpose. But how many times has that occurred in May/June/July in the South?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++