WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

That's what I meant. They were larger than I assumed and much much closer than I would have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe brown-colored black bears, but not likely brown (grizzly) bears.
    RMC I appreciate your minimalism but that would be cutting it pretty close to the bone for me, and probably for all but a very few.
    I admit I was chilly on the first night of my 55 miler from Buena Vista to Rockfish back in 2nd week of April. The second night I was fine. I wished I had my UL puffy! On upcoming summer hikes I might try just a silk liner and the UL puffy. It does suck to be chilly at night.

Here's my list if anybody gives a *****: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I ended up finishing the section in 5 1/2 days and only had one semi uncomfortable night near the overland shelter. I had previously hiked in new balance minimus shoes for some time, but they did a number on my feet so I'm switching back to non-zero trail runners or moab ventilators.

If I get the opportunity to do the whole trail next year I will take a warmer bag and leave the puffy in favor of a super light thermal polypro top. Might also consider not going quite that fast.

Sort of related: I just weighed my 40 deg quilt against top and bottom long johns/ul puffy/silk liner. The quilt is 9 ounces lighter. 1 lb 5 oz (with sack). So, I'm going with the quilt on my hike next week.

I was out this weekend for one night, camping with my kids at Rice Field, and it was chilly, with a low I'm guessing around 48 deg at the shelter.

If I can get out in mid-july I might try just a ul puffy and silk liner, which would save me probably 8 oz over my quilt.

No stove? Not planning to cook?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++