WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting over a groin pull

I took a weird step today, felt the twinge, and sure enough I pulled a groin muscle. I was gonna take my kids hiking this weekend, but I'm hobbled unless I can somehow stretch this out.

Any advice on getting over a minor groin strain quickly would be much appreciated.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Sorry to hear of your injury-best bet is the old "RICE" approach. Rest, Ice, Constrict (ace wrap) and Elevate. Also, Aleve (325 mg) helps and so does stretching the area (check out Youtube for some videos on stretching). The groin area is a strange muscle group-good luck.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

There is a yoga position to help the psoas muscle that may help, although I'm not sure if it will work in time for a hike this weekend. Lay down on your back (on the floor or your mat) and put your knees at a 90* angle. This will mean your feet will be out some distance from your backside. Don't let your knees splay out to the side, keep them pointing towards the ceiling. Then just relax into the stretch, if it doesn't hurt of course, and give it about 10 minutes. It's subtle but effective.

Garlic
    Images

Just wondering if you're a cyclist, too. I used to get groin pulls often until I lowered my saddle. I haven't had one in about thirty years since then.

I also used to get them when I played HS soccer, too, but hey, when you're in high school you heal in about two hours.

I agree with resting. Hydrate and eat well, too. I mentioned the bike thing because it was a chronic irritant that needed to be fixed.

Default Getting over a groin pull

https://youtu.be/nXTkkrSRXkc

I tried this stretch this morning, went for a moderate walk, and then did it again. I definitely feel better. I will try that yoga pose later.

My 3 year old was running around talking about climbing a mountain this morning, so I think I better get myself in shape by tomorrow.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

++ New Posts ++