WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Should I sign in as a day hiker?

I will be doing a SOBO this year. Would it be kinder to my fellow hikers if I signed in as a day hiker for those first 2 days? If I sign in as a thru hiker I will be taking one of the 3,150 available tickets for thru's.

You do realize that there is only around 2500 thru-hikers climbing Katahdin now. There should be plenty.

Sign in? Where?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    I will be doing a SOBO this year. Would it be kinder to my fellow hikers if I signed in as a day hiker for those first 2 days? If I sign in as a thru hiker I will be taking one of the 3,150 available tickets for thru's.
    Sign in as both and put the thru hiker permit on e-bay.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I have to believe that the SOBO 'tickets' are just for tracking purposes, since SOBO's leaving on a predictable date presumably can use the regular reservation system to reserve camping sites. At least that is what would make sense to me, I cannot claim I understand the details of this new system.

I understand your intent, but I would declare myself a thru-hiker and see what becomes of all this. No sense doing anything which might further piss off the BSPA. It is kind of funny though, aren't all SOBO thru-hikers really just regular hikers on their first day?
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I don't think it matters, a hiker is a hiker and the impact on the park the same under the current regime...ask em.

If you camp on the other side of the mountain and traverse it to descend hunt trail and camp a ksc you actually get the permit after your climb.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Sign in? Where?
    You need to sign in at the Ranger station before heading up. If you are going up Hunt trail/AT then the station is just as you go from Katahdin Stream campground onto the trail. They have a few day packs for thru hikers to use and can keep your gear on their porch for safe keeping.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

To qualify as a "thru hiker" you must have at least first hiked the 100 mile wilderness to get there. As a SOBO, your just another visitor and must make the normal reservations to camp in the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    To qualify as a "thru hiker" you must have at least first hiked the 100 mile wilderness to get there. As a SOBO, your just another visitor and must make the normal reservations to camp in the park.
    I think the confusion stems from conflicting information.

One official BSP announcement currently linked on the BSP web page clearly states that SOBO thru hikers (and flip flippers) MUST register as a special class of visitor, and count towards the 3150 Thru Hiker limit:

http://baxterstatepark.org/wp-conten...unce_Final.pdf

Seems strange, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I think the confusion stems from conflicting information.
    One official BSP announcement currently linked on the BSP web page clearly states that SOBO thru hikers (and flip flippers) MUST register as a special class of visitor, and count towards the 3150 Thru Hiker limit:http://baxterstatepark.org/wp-conten...unce_Final.pdf
    Seems strange, right?
    Strange indeed. What's to prevent anyone from just showing up and claiming to be a SOBO or flip flopper?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You should follow the rules of the park instead of furthering exacerbating their negative perceptions of thruhikers. If you can't do that, STAY HOME!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++