WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "what-iffing" with Google maps

I was just plugging in some different waypoints along the AT, and found it interesting that you can pull up walking directions that follow the AT
    for example google says Amicalola to Neels is 37.5 miles and 14 hours 23 minutes walking

Images

Google's driving times assume averaging the speed limit minus traffic slowdowns but don't include any rest breaks from what I can figure. I can never get anywhere other than short local trips as fast as they estimate, even driving over the speed limit. It's really hard to average 70 mph without drawing the attention of law enforcement. Good luck on 14 hours to Neels. That's 2.6 something mph average. Maybe Anish, or Karl, or more recently Kathryn could do it. I'll add 48 hours.

There's a speed limit on the AT?

A hiking speed of 2.6 mph on the trail is quite doable, but not many people hike for 14.5 hrs per day. Here is an old thread on hiking speeds. Lone Wolf reported 3mph with 40 lb pack.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...d-on-the-Trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Google's driving times assume averaging the speed limit minus traffic slowdowns but don't include any rest breaks from what I can figure. I can never get anywhere other than short local trips as fast as they estimate, even driving over the speed limit. It's really hard to average 70 mph without drawing the attention of law enforcement. Good luck on 14 hours to Neels. That's 2.6 something mph average. Maybe Anish, or Karl, or more recently Kathryn could do it. I'll add 48 hours.

you need 48 hours rest for every 14 hours of hiking?

even if you drop the speed down to 2mph thats 17 hours of hiking. hell, lets round it off and make it 20. not many people need more than... lets say 12 hours of rest in order to do 20 hours of hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    you need 48 hours rest for every 14 hours of hiking?

even if you drop the speed down to 2mph thats 17 hours of hiking. hell, lets round it off and make it 20. not many people need more than... lets say 12 hours of rest in order to do 20 hours of hiking.
    Just saying I would plan to take 3 days to hike that 37.5 miles from AFSP to Neels. 12.5 miles per day is probably about average for most thru-hikers at the beginning of their hike.

Does it always follow the trail now? I recall trying this a few months ago and when the road was quicker, it would tell you to take the road instead of the trail.

++ New Posts ++